PDA

View Full Version : Postal Change

StarMetal
10-29-2009, 02:56 PM
I don't know how many of you have noticed the Post Office has made some changes on their package tracking. Maybe I'm the slow one here. :veryconfu Anyways I just received a package from Midway, but I've been tracking it along the way with the new change. It was a priority mail package and Midway gave me the tracking info. Before when you typed it into the Postal site you didn't get much informations besides that it was mailed. Now they have kind of a step by step information much like UPS. I watched it move along from MI to TN and this morning the tracking said "out for delivery". Well that's a welcome change.

Joe

Uncle Grinch
10-29-2009, 03:42 PM
As much as I like and us flat rate shipping, I have always thought their tracking was very primative. Couple of years ago, I shipped a barrel that never showed up. All the tracking showed was it being received at my local post office. At least I had insurance on it.

This change is long due. Thanks for the heads up, I'm about to ship a mould to one our our fellow Boolit members.

montana_charlie
10-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Starmetal's post seems to indicate that USPS has gone to a 'tracking' system which actually follows a parcel's progress.
As for the comments from Uncle Grinch, that has always been called 'Delivery Confirmation'. It was never meant to 'track' anything...just confirm the package had been delivered to it's recipient's address.

I have always liked the UPS system, and am glad to hear that USPS has adopted a similar one.

CM

bohokii
10-30-2009, 03:40 PM
haa usps tracking is a joke most of the time all i ever see is that "the post office has been notified of someone shipping a pachage

they never acknowledge even having received it untill days after it arrives

StarMetal
10-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Starmetal's post seems to indicate that USPS has gone to a 'tracking' system which actually follows a parcel's progress.
As for the comments from Uncle Grinch, that has always been called 'Delivery Confirmation'. It was never meant to 'track' anything...just confirm the package had been delivered to it's recipient's address.

I have always liked the UPS system, and am glad to hear that USPS has adopted a similar one.

CM

You are right about the Delivery Confirmation, but wrong about what I said. I followed my package to each P.O. it stopped at along the route to my home. When it reached my town P.O. the tracking even told that the carrier was out for delivery with it. Now just what are you talking about? This is better then when it just said your package was in the system.

Joe

montana_charlie
10-30-2009, 06:02 PM
You are right about the Delivery Confirmation, but wrong about what I said.
Okay, tell me where I went wrong...
I started out saying, "Starmetal's post seems to indicate that USPS has gone to a 'tracking' system which actually follows a parcel's progress."

I followed my package to each P.O. it stopped at along the route to my home.
I got that. That's what is meant by "following a parcel's progress".
It is the same thing UPS has been doing since they started their tracking system.

When it reached my town P.O. the tracking even told that the carrier was out for delivery with it.
I understood that, too. Again, as everybody probably knows, that is what UPS has been doing for quite some time.

Now just what are you talking about? This is better then when it just said your package was in the system.
My exact words were, "I have always liked the UPS system, and am glad to hear that USPS has adopted a similar one."

What did you think I was talking about when you read those words?
CM

StarMetal
10-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Okay, tell me where I went wrong...

I got that. It is the same thing UPS has been doing.

I understood that, too. Again, it is the same thing that UPS has been doing for quite some time.

My exact words were, "I have always liked the UPS system, and am glad to hear that USPS has adopted a similar one."

What did you think I was talking about when you read those words?
CM

Charlie,

Fair question. I mistook Delivery Confirmation as it was all that they were doing. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part. Yes it's good they have improved because their system was terrible.

Joe

sleeper1428
10-30-2009, 06:36 PM
I experienced just the opposite this week. A Medium Flat Rate USPS box, sent from Florida, continued to show only the initial pickup of the package even after the box had been delivered to my mailbox. There was absolutely no tracking info regarding intermediate stops for the package - and I can't imagine that it came direct from Florida to a relatively small town in Southern Oregon without at least one intermediate stop - and as I said, on the day it was placed in my mailbox the tracking was still showing only its pickup in Florida. So much for the consistency of the USPS across the US!!

sleeper1428

StarMetal
10-30-2009, 06:39 PM
I experienced just the opposite this week. A Medium Flat Rate USPS box, sent from Florida, continued to show only the initial pickup of the package even after the box had been delivered to my mailbox. There was absolutely no tracking info regarding intermediate stops for the package - and I can't imagine that it came direct from Florida to a relatively small town in Southern Oregon without at least one intermediate stop - and as I said, on the day it was placed in my mailbox the tracking was still showing only its pickup in Florida. So much for the consistency of the USPS across the US!!

sleeper1428

Now that makes me wonder do you think maybe Midway has the P.O. track their packages?

Joe

stubshaft
10-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Tracking it has gotten a little better. However, checked on a package last week thursday. Indicated it was scheduled for deliver friday. Received it on MONDAY. I live less than 1 mile from the PO.

Some things never change.

montana_charlie
10-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Now that makes me wonder do you think maybe Midway has the P.O. track their packages?

Joe
I just completed a search of the USPS site, trying to learn if they have a new tracking system. I couldn't find any mention of a 'new consumer option' for tracking.

The old Delivery Confirmation feature is still present, but there is a thing available to businesses (I think it's called Track and Confirm) that sends out data whenever an item is processed on their automated equipment.

I can see where a business would want an account which provides that kind of information, but if a parcel is one that will get manual handling (big, awkward, or otherwise 'odd')...it may never be 'seen' by the automated gear.

I'm guessing we will only get the kind of benefit described by Starmetal when somebody like Midway is doing the mailing...

CM

stubshaft
10-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Charlie,
It looks the same (track and confirm) but contains more information in it then it did before.