PDA

View Full Version : Slang

thebigmac
10-28-2009, 11:27 PM
WHAT DOES THE TERM "BUMP UP", OR "BACK" MEAN????:oops: THANKS, Mac

Rooster
10-28-2009, 11:32 PM
I think it is to put the thread to the top of the page when they 'Bump Up' a thread. The 'Back' I'm not too sure about. But I can remember when you had to use a slide rule in class.

runfiverun
10-29-2009, 01:04 AM
you can bump up a nose or bump up the base of a boolit.
the nose is done in a die and the base upon firing.
or you can bump a thread.
the only time i use the term back is to soften an alloy in an oven through de-tempering with a lower temp setting to lower the bhn from say 35 to 22.
maybe you are thinking in terms of i'm back or back that thing up..

AZ-Stew
10-29-2009, 12:12 PM
In the "Swappin' and Sellin'" section, when an ad is placed and does not receive the desired response(s), it will eventually drift down the page and onto page 2, 3, etc. If there are still items to sell in the post, the seller will "bump" the post "back" to the top of the list by responding to it himself, again making it visible at the top of the first page, in the hope that he'll find a buyer for the remaining items.

Regards,

Stew

Oldtimer
10-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Could also mean the relative position of a boolit to the rifling, ie almost touching or further back. Bob

10-29-2009, 10:30 PM
Oldtimer,

Is that F-4 in your backyard?

MT Gianni
10-30-2009, 12:47 PM
btt mans back to top. It may be an abbreviation for that stated as back.

montana_charlie
10-30-2009, 01:35 PM
Since thebigmac provided no context for the terms he asked about, there is no good way to answer his question.

Without context, 'back' could mean anything...including the opposite of 'front'.
In the context of lead bullets, 'bump up' means to increase the diameter of a bullet with a sudden force. This could be the ignition of a powder charge, or thumping on the bullet while it's trapped in a sizing press.

If thebigmac really needed accurate answers, I imagine he would have returned before this to clarify his question...

CM

thebigmac
10-31-2009, 10:39 PM
context
i meant when the word "bump" or "bump up"was used i was thinking about using it in a thread. Probably the best answer i have received is from a-z stew, thanks brother chief..