PDA

View Full Version : 40 MM- Tarnished Brass

smokemjoe
10-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Here we all tumble our brass to make it look like new, But I want to make it look old looking like WW2 Brass, I got 2 - 40 MM cases that were made into shell art from the Al. ship, I love this art. using 1920s to 30s pennys for cirgette holders. They were broken off and laying inside the cases, I soft solder them back on but now need to age the brass back , I may not that many years to watch it age anymore, 67 Years? Thank- you

beagle
10-28-2009, 09:48 PM
I just antiqued some brass screws for the management's new french doors with old antique door knobs.

I placed a small amount of amonia in a closed container and placed the screws in a wooden block floating in the ammonia.

After about an hour, I removed them. The screw heads were black and when I rinsed them and rubbed them with a damp cloth, the brass came through on the high points and edges and the remainder remained antiqued or black giving it a nice antique appearence.

This is called fuming I beleive. You may experiment with a couple of scrap rifle cases and see if this will do it before you take the plunge with your big cases.

Worked for me./beagle

smokemjoe
10-28-2009, 10:03 PM
What will that do to the soft solder, 40-60, that the pennys are sweated to. Thanks- JOe

OutHuntn84
10-28-2009, 10:17 PM
I know soaking steel in mustard for a while will age steel might work on brass. as stated above start small before you try the big boy

Ricochet
10-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Ammonia won't hurt solder.

Mk42gunner
10-31-2009, 01:15 AM
Joe,

Blackpowder residue will tarnish brass, I think it is the sulpur that does it.

Robert