PDA

View Full Version : Do You want 9.3 gas checks? Help me!

gabrielguitars
10-28-2009, 06:02 PM
I am tired of trying to swage .375 gas checks down to fit the 9.3 bore, so I am in the process of honchoeing a deal to get proper 9.3 gas checks made. I have also contacted Mountain Molds (mountainmolds.com) about making changes in his programming to allow for the proper smaller diameter for the gas check shank for this. My question is this: I need to get some people who want 9.3 gas checks to make this happen, are you in? Please PM or email me with how many/how much money you are willing to spend for them. I can use this to re-approach the maker of the gas checks. He sounds very willing, but has to put up $600-700 for tooling, and wants to make back his money within a year or two, shouldn't be a problem. Let's make this happen! Note: these new gas checks will NOT work for bullet moulds you already have that are made for .375 gas checks, please be aware of this.

Wallis

felix
10-28-2009, 06:14 PM
The maker is going to be Larry, the Gator. Wallis, you can call him directly instead of going through anyone else, including Dan at Mountain Molds. Yes, his dies are custom made for him at the price you stated, which is his cost. An idea would be to front him the cost, and have him pay you royalties on the checks he sells to ANYONE in that caliber. He has a lot of commercial customers. ... felix

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-28-2009, 07:31 PM
NEI's 9,3mm moulds use 35 caliber gas checks. Any other good news out there? They do work in in my 9,3x62 though, like right at moa.

Rich

gabrielguitars
10-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Felix, I did talk to him at length today on the phone, that is what is prompting the attempt. Seeing as how I am currently unemployed and he is an employed doctor, I'd rather he did the fronting of money. Sharpshooter, the proof is in the pudding for sure, but I wonder how it is that a gas check can work well when it is .008" undersized. Still, I will try this, and if it dies on the vine, so be it. I personally am having some trouble swaging down the .375 gas checks without deforming the nose.

mroliver77
11-03-2009, 01:42 PM
I am thinkin you could mebbe size the check down before applying it. Possibly a .368 sizing die and a punch the size of the gas check shank. A custom deal but I be Buckshot or lathe guy could fix you up.
Jay

bearcove
11-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Have you tried annealing the checks?

BABore
11-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Felix, I did talk to him at length today on the phone, that is what is prompting the attempt. Seeing as how I am currently unemployed and he is an employed doctor, I'd rather he did the fronting of money. Sharpshooter, the proof is in the pudding for sure, but I wonder how it is that a gas check can work well when it is .008" undersized. Still, I will try this, and if it dies on the vine, so be it. I personally am having some trouble swaging down the .375 gas checks without deforming the nose.

Use a push through die to size and crimp the GC's.

I had to make a 0.365 mold for my Ballard rifled, Marlin 35 Remington. It has a 0.3635 groove and 0.3505 bore. I'm sizing it at 0.364 and using 375 gas checks. I cut the cherry/mold for a 375 step shank and left it just a little loose. This allows the GC material someplace to go. I anneal the GC's and have no problems using a push thru die. I'd personally stick with the 375 GC as they are made from 0.017 thick material. 357's are only 0.010". Below are some pics of the sized 365-180 with 375 GC's

9.3X62AL
11-05-2009, 07:18 PM
I have a Mountain Molds 9.3mm rifle mould that uses the .375" gas check. Dan at MM made the sizer die for the boolits as well, and it has hollow core pin. This tool produces a gas check that is firmly crimped in place and has a slight convex aspect contour to it. They shoot as well as jacketed bullets, that being 1.0" to 1.5" at 100 yards. It ain't a varmint round, after all. I'd prefer to not fix things not broken.

PatMarlin
11-10-2009, 12:16 PM
I like how new comers, think they can walk in here and solicit business from members when we have been buying and supporting our own long time sources, and will continue to do so.

Gators are fine made gas checks. I have an ample supply for all of my calibers and have had better results then Hornady. There is really no reason to buy from someone else in my opinion, specially since he has been very supportive of Cast Boolits.