PDA

View Full Version : Solder Mix Question

Idahoan
05-01-2006, 02:11 AM
I have a couple of round solder ingots from when I bought an older fellow's complete casting setup, one is 5 pounds and is marked "N-F Lead" and "Non-Ferrous Metals Inc, Seattle", the other is 3.5 pounds and is marked "N-F Metals" and "Extra Wiping Solder". Does the "N-F" indicate a specific ratio of lead to tin? And is there anything usually alloyed in with this stuff that should not be in boolits?

With the cost of tin being what it is:( , would be nice to be able to use this stuff.

biggome
05-01-2006, 03:24 AM
Sounds like N-F is mearly the manufacturer rather than it's alloy content.

I work in the electronics manufacturing industry and we use 63% tin to 37% lead solder by the ton. As high as the cost of the stuff is in the first place we pay more per pound to get rid of the waste from it. I wish I could get a bunch of the scrap to use for casting.

If in doubt about your solder's suitability try my proven lead testing method. From waist height drop the lead in question onto a concrete floor. If it goes "thud-clump" it is pure lead and suitable only for black powder use. If it goes "clink-clumpink" it is suitable for smokeless use. If it bounces up to near waist height it may have been formerly used as an atomic shield and should be saved for special occasions.

Paul

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-01-2006, 08:47 AM
I pulled the quoted information below off the internet. Depending on the original intended purpose of the solder, you should have about a 35-40% amount of tin and about 55-60% lead in the "wiping solder" bar. The other may be pure lead, hard to say. In either case, they're both suitable for boolit making.

"What is solder?

Solder may be called a cement, and is used for joining various metals together, such as tin, copper, lead, etc.

Of what is solder, used by plumbers, composed?

It is composed of lead and tin in different proportions, according to the purpose for which it is used.

Give the proportions of different solders.

Wiping solder, 3 parts lead, 2 parts tin. Bright solder, 1 part lead, one part tin.

Are the above proportions definite for wiping solder?

No, each plumber will temper his solder to suit his own judgement.

Give melting points of solders mentioned above.

Wiping solder melts at about 450 degrees, bright solder at 375 degrees.

What are the melting points of lead and tin?

Lead melts at 612 degrees, tin melts at 442 degrees.

To make wiping solder.

The rule ordinarily followed, calls for 3 parts lead, and 2 parts tin. While these proportions are substantially correct, no plumber will be satisfied with the solder thus obtained, until he has tempered it to suit himself. Wiping solder requires close attention in making, for if it is made a trifle too coarse, it will make a coarse looking joint, which is liable to be porous and leak, while if it is too fine it will stick to the wiping cloth, and make a perfect joint very difficult to obtain. Some workmen are able, however, to use a much finer solder than others.. To test the quality of the solder, a good plan is to stir the solder thoroughly, and pour a small quantity of it onto a cold surface. If on cooling, it leaves a mottled appearance, it is generally about right for the avearge workman, but if it shows a granulated appearance, it has too much lead, and is therefore too coarse. If it appears very bright, it has too much tin, and is consequently too fine. Always keep the solder well stirred, whether in making or using it, as the tin, which is the lighter of the two metals, will separate from the lead, and rise to the surface.

This was taken from the book "Questions and Answers on the Practice and Theory of Sanitary Plumbing, Volume III, Practical Wrinkles" which was published in 1919."

montana_charlie
05-01-2006, 01:18 PM
I am pretty certain that the ingot marked 'lead' is just that...lead. The wiping solder is the 60-40 mix, and contains about 1.4 pounds if tin.

That ingot, thrown into 18.6 pounds of pure lead would make a nice 20 to 1 BPCR alloy.
CM