PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably Priced Decapper

Hip's Ax
10-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Greetings, I'm looking for a reasonably priced decapper for 45-70 and 45-90. Right now I'm using a Lee hand press and Lee universal decapping die but the rig is really big and clumsy and not convenient enough for on the range use.

I like the Pope style decappers but cannot find one priced for less than $100. Besides, I'm only looking to decap, not recap.

I like to knock the primers out of my black powder brass before I drop them into the water and dish detergent.

Thanks! :)

cajun shooter
10-27-2009, 08:17 AM
I am sure that our own Gussy sells a very nice one for the BPCR crowd. I've also carried the Lee hand press and decap die to a shoot and a decapper would be nicer. Look at his products on the bottom of page.

Ranch Dog
10-27-2009, 08:26 AM
Ax,

Why not the Decapper (#RE1567 $2.50) and Decapper Chamber (#RE1663 $2.00) from the Lee Classic Reloader? The part numbers are from the 45-70 kit. They sell these two parts as a kit for 20 and 30 caliber rounds but I don't see them listed as a kit for this caliber.

http://www.leeprecision.com/graphics/parts/1556.jpg http://www.leeprecision.com/graphics/parts/1663.jpg

Once in a while and when I have a big lot of brass to decap, I will use these parts out of my reloader kits. It is fast and does a good job.

Hip's Ax
10-27-2009, 09:29 AM
I have those, bought them years ago to remove crimped primers and they are hard to destroy. Eventually replaced them with a Lee decapping die, that die is built like a tank.

But using this punch and base would mean I'd need a hammer and a bench to work on, no?

Hip's Ax
10-27-2009, 09:30 AM
I am sure that our own Gussy sells a very nice one for the BPCR crowd. I've also carried the Lee hand press and decap die to a shoot and a decapper would be nicer. Look at his products on the bottom of page.

Thanks! I'll take a look.

Hip's Ax
10-27-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm not seeing any decappers on the Cabin Tree site, but I will be buying one of those case irons!

boommer
10-27-2009, 09:52 AM
The Lee de -capper works good I have one, but you can just use a drift punch and any thing hard with a hole in it that will allow the primers to drop. I have a stub handle ball peen hammer, drift punch because it's longer and easy to hang onto so it dosn't take up much room . this works fine at the range and you use the money you save on other things.

Jon K
10-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Ax,

Have you checked these?
The one on the left is available thru BACO, and onthe right thru Shiloh.

Jon

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l101/Jon_K_2006/DSC_0002-15.jpg

Hip's Ax
10-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Jon, Thank You!!! I can't see your pictures (I'm at work and they are blocked for some reason) but I went to Shiloh and Buffalo and found both!! Either looks perfect!!

:drinks:

BPCR Bill
10-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Ax, I have the de-capper on the left hand side of Jons picture. It comes with different length stems for the longer cartridges, so if you get one get the longer stem. It will work for the 45-70 as well as the 45-110. I have a 45-110 as well and that tool is handy and stores well in the range box. There is a set screw that secures the de-cap pin in and the pins are easy to change out if you break one.

Regards,
Bill

Hip's Ax
10-27-2009, 10:43 AM
The Lee de -capper works good I have one, but you can just use a drift punch and any thing hard with a hole in it that will allow the primers to drop. I have a stub handle ball peen hammer, drift punch because it's longer and easy to hang onto so it dosn't take up much room . this works fine at the range and you use the money you save on other things.

Boommer, Thanks! I never thought of that! :bigsmyl2:

Don McDowell
10-27-2009, 11:38 AM
I guess its' all about perceptions. I've used the lee hand tool and universal decapper for years. Carry it right in my ammo box , and deprime cases between relays at all the shoots I go to. Bigger than one of the smaller tools ? well yeah, but its way cheaper to use what you have than buy something to replace it.
Another thing about the Lee tool it traps the primers so you can dump them in a garbage can and not leave them laying all over the ground like what happens with the other tools.

Hip's Ax
10-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks Guys, now I have a lot of options. Gotta love this site! :)

Don McDowell
10-27-2009, 02:44 PM
The other thing I like about the Lee handpress is taking it and a set of dies along to the big shoots like the Quigley etc. If you run out of ammo it's plumb possible to fill up enough cases to finish up the match. Try that with a pair of pliers with a primer punch mounted on it.

montana_charlie
10-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Here's another (that I haven't seen before)...
http://www.neiljones.com/html/decapping_tool.html

CM

Gellot Wilde
10-27-2009, 03:57 PM
I've been using the same old de-capper I bought about 12 years ago from Cal-Graf Design.

Works a treat...still on the same pin...quite amazing really. Probably not the prettiest on the market or the lightest but it gets the job done and is easy to clean.

http://www.cal-graf.com/decaper.htm

Southern Son
10-28-2009, 04:56 AM
I made one using one of those screwdrivers that you can change the tip from blade to phillips to torx to allen (the different tips all have a hexagonal shaft that goes into the screwdriver shaft). It was a really cheap one that I just broke the handle off the shaft, then glued a small allen tip in it (can't remember the size, but it was the smallest I had found), and then rounded the corners off the allen tip so it was a good fit through the flash hole. It cost me nothing (just used old bits from around the shed). I made it to replace one of those Lee decappers when I broke the pin in the end of that. Looking at those 2 posted by Jon K and I am thinking that I might be able to make the one on the right...................