PDA

View Full Version : Open sighted question

357maximum
10-27-2009, 06:41 AM
Who makes classic iron sights? Something that you might see on an old world sporting rifle...and sweat on if at all possible. I would really like a set of 3 leaf express type sights but find I cannot afford them right now. These will be going on an 1893 mauser sporter in 7X57 original barrel with the steps removed that I will be building...slowly...real slowly. I took my rem 700 sights and taped them on the barrel and they look ok...just ok...there is something lacking in the looks dept though.

hiram
10-27-2009, 07:33 AM
http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/store.aspx?panel=1&categoryid=67

pietro
10-27-2009, 08:21 AM
New England Custom Gun makes/sells online many different types of front & rear sights of the type that were put on older European Sporting Rifles of the early 1900's - since the company's owners are the descendents of German/Austrian Custom Gunmakers.

(Let google be your friend)

badgeredd
10-27-2009, 08:27 AM
Check out Brownells and Numrich too.

Edd

gnoahhh
10-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Be leery of turning the steps off of that barrel. I did that to a 93 Mauser barrel once upon a time. Had the assistance of a highly skilled tool and die maker in setting it up in the lathe. The taper was a work of art, but the barrel didn't shoot worth a tinker's d*mn after that. 1st shot- on the bean. 2nd shot- 2" high. 3rd shot 2" higher than the 2nd. You get the picture. 5-6 shots would walk right off the paper. If one waited 5-10 minutes between shots it would group into a (dis)satisfying 2" group. (Before the surgery it would group into an honest 1 1/4- 1 1/2"- the bore was pristine) Relieving hidden stresses in that barrel's steel was a bad thing, as well as removing the nodal points intended to dampen barrel vibations.

leftiye
10-27-2009, 01:01 PM
I heard somewhere (here) that the steps on Mauser barrels were to dampen the barrel vibrations.

docone31
10-27-2009, 01:17 PM
What a fantastic project!
For King and Country!
I would not turn down the barrel. I had a friend do it a long time ago. He was a good machineist. He blended the steps so it all looked smooth, put on a mirror polish, blued it a deep blue, and promptyly procceeded to not be able to hit anything at 100yds! Nothing!
He tried recrowning it, cutting it back 1/2" at a time.
Finally gave up and got a new barrel.
You can get an A&B barrel in what ever profile for next to nothing. I would personally get the 99 profile barrel. Real heavy. That way, it will fit the profile of the sights, and match the stock line up.
I had to go with Lyman AUG front sights on my barrel to line up with the stock contour and rear sight.
It will still look sweet that way.
Should be a good, heavy, carry rifle. Won't be that much to chamber the barrel. They come prechambered, short chambered.
Mine were a snap.

357maximum
10-27-2009, 04:29 PM
The barrel came to me turned down and with a scope mount I jb welded on it held 1.5 in with H4895 and some 170gr roundnoses until the 9th shot when the scope fell off. It looks to me like they chucked it in the lathe and did the work with a file. All bubba did was to taper the steps down..they are still there, just less pronounce....I would have prefered it original as I like the steps, but you get whats you gets sometimes.

I just got done roughing a wormwood butternut sporter stock out for it..........hunting season is here and I still have my big buck tag and some propeller head tags to fill...so this will be awhile in coming. I have managed to pot 1 small genetic cleansing buck with my bow....but there is a few more shelves in that freezer.

Thanks for the help fellas....The thought of putting 150 dollar sights on a $50 rifle just is not something I can live with though..........so

I need to find class on the cheap................and there is your oxymoron for the day.

StarMetal
10-27-2009, 05:25 PM
I heard somewhere (here) that the steps on Mauser barrels were to dampen the barrel vibrations.

I'll bet they stepped them to speed up production. They weren't making a target rifle and besides there is so much wood and barrel bands on the barrel, how much dampening would the steps have provided?

Joe

stubshaft
10-27-2009, 05:51 PM

I remember reading that they were designed to minimize harmonics.

leftiye
10-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Yup, probly cut costs, and barrel vibrations (harmonics).