PDA

View Full Version : Another Plumbers Furnace

jsizemore
10-26-2009, 04:49 PM
I picked up a plumbers furnace on the clearance table at an antique show this past weekend. It's a Clayton & Lambert No-40-A. It's 12" tall and doesn't have a pump. Instead it has a angled stop valve with a inside thread nipple. I assume you hook a basketball/football type pump or external air tank to pressurize the fuel tank. This angled stop valve appears to be original to the furnace cuz both valve handles, valve stems and thread pattern are the same. The only difference is the angle of the valve seats. The fuel tank still has a remnant of red paint and part of the sticker. Anybody have any experience with this model?

10-26-2009, 04:53 PM
"J", mine is a big blow torch that screws directly onto a special 20# propane bottle. It will "smoke" a twenty pound pot of lead in a "skinny minute". wc

largom
10-26-2009, 05:04 PM
"J", mine is a big blow torch that screws directly onto a special 20# propane bottle. It will "smoke" a twenty pound pot of lead in a "skinny minute". wc

Same as the one I have, but I don't really use it. Use my turkey fryer inatead.

Larry

jsizemore
10-26-2009, 05:23 PM
This thing uses gasoline. I hope to get it fired up for Halloween. The guys on here that have 14-A's say that they will throw a flame about 3-4 feet up in the air and sound like a jet engine. WOW! I can hardly wait!

madcaster
10-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Sir,you should really consider another source I think,gasoline is pretty dangerous in something that is going to be so hot for so long.....

Bret4207
10-26-2009, 06:36 PM
They work fine if they're in good shape. It's just an older technology that most people today aren't familiar with.

jsizemore
10-26-2009, 07:02 PM
I haven't removed the coil to check it's condition. The fill cap was a bugger to remove, and it still had the lead seal between cap and tank. The inside of the tank is shiny and the fuel that came out was CLEAR. The 2 valves and the tube that has the orfice/emitter all came out with mild hand pressure after being sprayed down with Kroil. I plan on removing the tube that has the orfice/emitter, fill the tank with gas and a little Berrymans and pump it up with a small sports pump. Open the fuel valve and see if anything comes out of the coil. When it's clear, I'll blow it out with some compressed air, put it all back together and hopefully, enjoy the show.

Bret, I've read your past posts and they have been a help.

Madcaster, I appreciate your cocern. I don't plan on giving up my propane turkey cooker. It's just nice to have choices.

Gerry N.
10-26-2009, 07:14 PM
I haven't removed the coil to check it's condition. The fill cap was a bugger to remove, and it still had the lead seal between cap and tank. The inside of the tank is shiny and the fuel that came out was CLEAR. The 2 valves and the tube that has the orfice/emitter all came out with mild hand pressure after being sprayed down with Kroil. I plan on removing the tube that has the orfice/emitter, fill the tank with gas and a little Berrymans and pump it up with a small sports pump. Open the fuel valve and see if anything comes out of the coil. When it's clear, I'll blow it out with some compressed air, put it all back together and hopefully, enjoy the show.

Bret, I've read your past posts and they have been a help.

Madcaster, I appreciate your cocern. I don't plan on giving up my propane turkey cooker. It's just nice to have choices.

A little pressure is worse than "too much". The burner also needs to be well pre-heated. Do some more research to see what fuel the unit is designed to use. Some used White Gas (Coleman Fuel) Some used old fashioned leaded regular grade automotive gasoline and some used kerosene or diesel oil.

If the burner spouts flame more than the burner height, it is insufficiently hot and/or has the wrong orifice in the burner jet or has the wrong fuel or a combination of the foregoing.
Have fun.

Gerry N.

John Guedry
10-27-2009, 02:31 PM
When you get it goin' post some pics please.

TAWILDCATT
10-30-2009, 04:02 PM
I had one and tried it.I desided it was not a good idea as I had used gas lanturns and as soon as propane came out I stopped.they had a habit of catching fire and exploding yours may not.I will stick to propane thank you.:coffeecom