PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Lee 200 SWC TL

Doc - J
04-30-2006, 12:35 PM
I tried out some loads with this cast boolit. Got a few jams on the feed ramp on both my 1911 A1 and the Taurus. It's a little shorter then the other cast boolits (penn 200 SWC) I've been useing. To get it to a OAL of 1.250 you would have to seat it on the second band. Has anyone have this problem.? Would sizeing them be the ans? or using a factory crimper?

redbear705
04-30-2006, 01:06 PM
I too use the lee 200gr swc that I shoot out of a colt 1911 with a 22# recoil spring and stock mainspring and have no issues with it as cast but, my freind has had a heck of a time getting them to run in his gun ...a charlesdaly 1911.

It seems he had a couple of issues with the gun.....the ramp was not smooth enough so he polished it and tried it out but that fix only helped a little.

Next he changed recoil springs and went too light.....still problems.

Then he changed recoil springs and went higher then stock and that helped alot but still had ftf.....

But when he chamfered the barrel a little bit....that was it, now he can shoot what ever he wants .

Your problem may be in timing which includes the mainspring and or the recoil spring.....

Good Luck and Good shooting?

JR

redbear705
04-30-2006, 01:12 PM
I tried out some loads with this cast boolit. Got a few jams on the feed ramp on both my 1911 A1 and the Taurus. It's a little shorter then the other cast boolits (penn 200 SWC) I've been useing. To get it to a OAL of 1.250 you would have to seat it on the second band. Has anyone have this problem.? Would sizeing them be the ans? or using a factory crimper?

By the way....my freind found ALOT of help on the www.m1911.org site.......:)

Ken O
04-30-2006, 08:51 PM
You might need to seat a little shorter. I have a H&G 130 that casts a stubbier SWC, and it needs to be seated at 1.165 to get totaly reliable feeding out of my 1911s, try this measurement, and if you load near max, back off on the powder some because you will have higher presure. I dont load near max, I just want enough to make major in IDPA and ISPC.
I have several .45 molds, and they all seat at different legenths, I experiment to get reliablility and record it in my reloading manual.