PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) Saeco model 24

Mausermeister
10-26-2009, 12:59 PM
The older gentleman was getting rid of a lot of his reloading equipment. I missed out on a Dillon RL550 for $250 by 5 minutes. But I did get a very nice Saeco model 24 and Saeco 4 ingot mold for $40.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-26-2009, 02:27 PM
The Saeco M24 is, in the opinion of many, one of the best melting pots ever made, along with the Lyman version that closely resembles it. Both have been long discontinued, but keep turning up and are still popular. It holds around 10 pounds of melt and is well built. At $40 it is/was a really good bargain. Forum members have rebuilt this pot and have posted information regarding how to fix as well as sources of parts if needed. A search would turn that info up. If you keep and use it, make sure to wipe it down after use and cold, with an oily rag as the main constituent is cast iron and it will rust if left bare. another option is to spraypaint the exterior....pot supports and bottom stand with stove black or Rustoleum 1200 degree-High heat BBQ paint=matt finish and that would not allow any rust to start. I bought mine new in the late sixties along with a Model 34 and have used them and maintained them; they continue to give good service. LLS

Calamity Jake
10-27-2009, 08:45 AM
The only difference in the Saeco 24 and the Lyman 62 is the name and paint as Saeco made both.

stephen perry
10-30-2009, 07:32 AM
I know one of the guys that bought SAECO back in the sixties. SAECO along with STAR and Lyman were good suppliers to the Cast guys world wide.

Actually Potter pots were the predecessor to later pots. My dad bought a Lyman pot in 1962. I cast it out in 10 years. For years after I cast out of a Kenmore chicken cooker, cast it out too. I now have the SAECO pot mentioned earlier. I don't like a center pour on a pot so I use mine only to melt WW and make bars. It is good for that. I bottom pour out of a LEE 10 and dip out of a LEE 4.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR :brokenima

TAWILDCATT
10-30-2009, 03:40 PM
I have a saeco pot,and I always thought saeco made lymans as lyman went out when redding bought saeco.I think the owner was Modesto.at least I called and talked to them as we had a bottom pour and a melter.and a tec at redding had one.my thermostat went and I use a harbor freight speed control.on sale now for $14.95.I use it on the lee so may get another.
wish someone wrote a book on the varios comp that made tools.
I also have a potter.as well as a gilbert toy caster.I modified in the 40s to match the miller.:violin: