PDA

View Full Version : 30 caliber M die question

C.F.Plinker
10-26-2009, 11:25 AM
I am thinking about getting an M die to expand the necks when I start casting with the 311041 GB mold. Can someone tell me what the diameter of the die plug is and what it expands the case neck to? I am expecting that the neck will size somewhat smaller than the die plug. Is this correct?

Thanks,

BerdanIII
10-26-2009, 02:43 PM
The diameter of the plug you need really depends on the diameter of the sized bullet you want to use. I try to get within 0.001" to 0.002" of the bullet diameter I'm using. There will be some springback and depending on the amount, you may be able to use a plug the same size as the bullet. The last thing you want is the death-grip you need with jacketed bullets (benchrest guns excepted). Give Lyman a call and they will tell you what diameter the steps are on the .30 caliber plugs. I'm away from my sources now, or I'd be able to give you that information. Remember that you can order the plugs separately and they will all fit the die body. You can order them from Lyman while you're on the phone bending the tech's ear.

bullshot
10-26-2009, 05:52 PM
C.F.Plinker
The expander plug on my 30 cal M die measures .307. The flair portion measures .3115.

Buckshot
10-27-2009, 02:55 AM
...............If for nothing else replacement custom "M" die sizers is an excellent reason to buy one of those little 7" lathes :-)

...............Buckshot

SilverBow
10-27-2009, 01:57 PM
...............If for nothing else replacement custom "M" die sizers is an excellent reason to buy one of those little 7" lathes :-)

...............Buckshot

Darn Buckshot, I've been trying to resist the urge to purchase one of those mini lathes or a Taig. In fact, I specifically avoided visiting the Seattle area last weekend so that I wouldn't be tempted to drop by Grizzly.

I specifically need a small lathe to rebore a broken firing pin so that I can insert a piece of drill bit shank and so this is my "reasoning" for why I need a lathe. I've never had one before, and now the M die is another reason why I "need" to get one.

Gerry N.
10-29-2009, 01:51 AM
Some years back I stumbled across Homier's website. At that time they stocked a 7x12 for somewhat less than $250 shipped. Couldn't pass it up, and I've never regretted it. A caveat, however. They bandy the term "precision" about with gay abandon. As do Harbor Freight, Grizzly, and Jet amongst others. If you buy one, and they are a good deal, regard it as a pre-assembled kit requiring much outlay in time and effort to arrive at a really useful tool. Another fun, quick project is making neck arbors for your case trimmer.

Here is a very useful web site if you do decide to get one. http://varmintal.com/

Gerry N.

Buckshot
10-29-2009, 02:36 AM
Darn Buckshot, I've been trying to resist the urge to purchase one of those mini lathes or a Taig. In fact, I specifically avoided visiting the Seattle area last weekend so that I wouldn't be tempted to drop by Grizzly.

I specifically need a small lathe to rebore a broken firing pin so that I can insert a piece of drill bit shank and so this is my "reasoning" for why I need a lathe. I've never had one before, and now the M die is another reason why I "need" to get one.

.............I'm just here to be helpfull, heh, heh :-). Don't forget the famous saying, "They oughta just GIVE anyone a lathe that wants one. They're sure gonna make their money back with what comes afterwards!" Kinda like buying a horse.

............Buckshot