PDA

View Full Version : KSCO: 9mm Star

oksmle
10-26-2009, 01:53 AM
KCSO.... I have the opportunity to get a Star Super B in 9mm & when I researched the site's files you had mentioned that you owned one. Would you comment on it (or anyone else)? Seems to "dry function" okay & comes with three mags. $125.00 will get me a pistol that I don't need. But it looks like a little Mod. 1911. Kinda' cute.

NickSS
10-26-2009, 07:01 AM
I had one of them about 30 years ago and it was a good pistol that worked and shot well for me. At the price you quote it's a great deal

Ricochet
10-26-2009, 08:10 AM
I have an old German Star B that was refurbed by the Russians, put together from 2 pistols with force matched numbering on the slide. Other than needing a little help with pulling back the hammer to put on the safety when cocked, it functions and shoots beautifully, putting its empties in a nice tight group behind me (which is as important to me as the group it puts on the target!) It feels a little slimmer in the hand than a 1911, maybe a little lighter, and of course doesn't have the grip safety, but the feel is very similar. I love it!

Freightman
10-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Grab it my son has one that needs a slide (none available) he and I have put latterly 1000's of rounds through it before the slide cracked. had it welded but after a few 1000 more rounds it has cracked again. sure need a slide.

mike in co
10-27-2009, 10:49 AM
$125 is an awesome price. are tha mags oem ?? chrome rounded follower ?

there is one at my local gun show but the guy want watoo much and will not budge.

mike in co

mike in co
10-27-2009, 10:50 AM
I have an old German Star B that was refurbed by the Russians, put together from 2 pistols with force matched numbering on the slide. Other than needing a little help with pulling back the hammer to put on the safety when cocked, it functions and shoots beautifully, putting its empties in a nice tight group behind me (which is as important to me as the group it puts on the target!) It feels a little slimmer in the hand than a 1911, maybe a little lighter, and of course doesn't have the grip safety, but the feel is very similar. I love it!

ok i'll bite......
star is a spanish company.....how can you have a german star b ??

mike

StarMetal
10-27-2009, 11:45 AM
ok i'll bite......
star is a spanish company.....how can you have a german star b ??

mike

Read and weep Mike:
http://www.star-firearms.com/firearms/numbering.shtml

Very rarely will you find Ricochet wrong, I know, I've tried. :groner:

Joe

Freightman
10-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Read and weep Mike:
http://www.star-firearms.com/firearms/numbering.shtml

Very rarely will you find Ricochet wrong, I know, I've tried. :groner:

Joe
The Germans got a bunch of them during the Spanish civil War and marked them with there markings. They were a favorite of a lot of officers during the war. They were Spanish made for years until the government nationalized them and didn;t take many years of government running to bankrupt them.
So both of you are right they were a Spanish co. but used by the Germans and they marked everything as theirs.

StarMetal
10-28-2009, 12:04 PM
The Germans got a bunch of them during the Spanish civil War and marked them with there markings. They were a favorite of a lot of officers during the war. They were Spanish made for years until the government nationalized them and didn;t take many years of government running to bankrupt them.
So both of you are right they were a Spanish co. but used by the Germans and they marked everything as theirs.

There were two years, I believe, where Spain specifically made the Star for the Nazi's. That was well after their Civil War. I never meant that the Germans actually made the Star at any time. Just as with other firearms that were made for them as the conquered various countries. The ones made for them are considered a German ???? what ever the brand was.

Joe

KCSO
10-28-2009, 12:36 PM
My Star had two barrels one in 9MM and one in Largo and the gun still works fine with both barrels. The fellow who has it now got it from me last year and so far the gun has been troouble free for over 4000 rounds of cast bullets for the two of us. My only comment on the Star's would be that in my opinion the slides are a little soft compared to say a 1911 GI and that they will peen with full house loads. I use to carry a BKM as a backup piece to my 1911 on drug raids and it always worked. I only gave it up when i could afford a Hi Power for the same purpose. If you can get this outfit for $125 you need to go for it as it will part out for more than that!!!!

JIMinPHX
10-28-2009, 01:31 PM
A super B for $125 in good condition????

If you don't take it, please PM me the seller's info. I will have my local dealer send a copy of his FFL out today.

Those are great little guns. They are slimmer than a 1911 & carry better. They don't have the grip safety that I don't like. The Super variant has a quick takedown lever on the right side of the frame, just below the slide. You flip the lever 180 degrees & the slide assembly just pulls off the front of the gun for cleaning. If the gun doesn't have this feature, then it's not a Super & it's not worth nearly as much. The Supers usually also have the word "Super" stamped on the bottom of the frame next to the magazine well. If it's just a plain model B, then there may just be a "B" there. There are lots of model B's, BM's & BKM's floating around. There are not so many B-Super's. The lite weight, compact BKM is also desirable as a carry gun. They are all good shooters when in good condition. They are all worth $125 if in good condition & not on a hot sheet somewhere.

Check the barrel condition. Some are great. Many are dreadful. Replacement barrels are few & far between. They use a cam follower block type of closed breach barrel that is not easy to duplicate.

Harry O
10-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I've got one. It is a good gun. It is even more accurate offhand than my Browning Hi-power and Walther P-38. I think that is because there is more weight at the front than either than the other two. It is a steal at that price, especially with the three magazines. Magazines are pretty pricey for it. Get it.

oksmle
10-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Thanks folks.... It now has a new home. He also had a new set of Lee 9mm loading dies, case trimming tool, hand primer seater, 11 lbs of once fired brass, 65 lbs of WW ingots & about 3 lbs left in an opened 4 lb can of Unique. I wrote him a check for $200.00 & we were both happy campers.

JIMinPHX
10-28-2009, 05:29 PM
You did good, real good.

I think that you'll be happy with it. If you ever decide that you want to part with it, please drop me a PM.

Ricochet
10-28-2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah, Star made their B for the Germans. It's marked on the side of the barrel chamber "Kal. 08." The Germans accepted the Spaniards' proof testing and didn't redo it as they did for guns made in the conquered nations' factories. I meant that it was German issue, not German made. The dealer I bought it from had a romantic story about the "Blue Condor Legion" of Spanish volunteers who fought with the Germans in the Soviet Union, but I expect it was carried by a German officer.