PDA

View Full Version : Gun Deal - How'd I do?

MakeMineA10mm
10-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Well, I've been pondering the possibility of getting a Savage 12 or similar for varmint shooting next year, so I always kind of keep my ears open for 223s or other varmint guns.

I'm also helping a widow sell some guns her husband left behind. There was a bolt gun in 243 and a Ruger Redhawk in well-used condition that I was going to sell for her.

The only guy I know who hunts deer out-of-state (my state is shotgun, bow, muzzleloader and handgun only - NO rifle) was asked if he was interested in the 243. He was crest-fallen, because he'd been looking for a reasonable-priced 243, and having failed to find one by 2 weeks before his hunt, he bought a 223, the day before, that a guy had convinced him was a deer gun. The sellar was a Vietnam vet who explained that the 223 bullet tumbles and creates destruction all beyond it's size, and cited the number of casualties we imparted on the NVA and VC during the Vietnam conflict to confirm it would be effective on deer.

I pointed out to my friend that the 223 is banned from big-game hunting in some states, the tumbling effect (if it happens) will destroy some of the meat he wants, and finally, that the 223 will have severe penetration issues if he hits a bigger deer in a bad spot like the shoulder or needs to use a follow-up shot from a bad angle. I also told him I knew of a 243 for sale that would fit his needs perfect.

We met at the range and we shot both the 223 and the 243. Also shot the Ruger Redhawk (which was quite accurate with my handloads, in spite of looking like it hadn't been cleaned, EVER!).

On the way home, I asked him what he thought, and he said he wanted both the Ruger and the 243! I offered to pay the widow my estimated full-value for them in exchange for his 223. He jumped on those terms, because he was coming out about $100 ahead on the deal, and getting a better deer rifle and a second gun to boot! So, it turned into a three-way deal that everyone was quite happy with.

Anyway, I'm the proud new owner of a very good condition (metal is 100% and the wood is about 95% with a couple dings) Winchester (USRAC) Model 70 XTR Sporter Varmint in 223. I figure I've got around $650 in it. I knew Winchester had shut down a few years ago, and that new-production Winchesters will be coming from the FN factory in the Carolinas soon (and possibly Browning later on), but I figure I got a pre-'2006 here, so it's a collectible!!! :mrgreen:

No box or papers, but I did get a nice set of rings and bases already mounted with a cheaper Tasco scope inside them (soon to be replaced by a better varmint scope).

It shoots well too. Only put 10 rounds through it, after the wind picked up on a cold morning, but it was hovering around 1.25" five-shot groups at 100 yards. I'm thinking a better scope, nicer conditions, and handloaded ammo tailored to the rifle will all help to improve that figure a bit...

Having no idea what pre-'06 Winchesters are worth, but knowing that the market got really hot/volatile there for awhile, I'm curious if you all think I got a decent deal?

PatMarlin
10-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Sounds like a keeper- I think ya did very good ...:Fire:

9.3X62AL
10-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Some of those push-feed Win 70s can REALLY shoot. Rifle, scope rings, and base for $650 in this day and age isn't a bad deal at all. The 223 is a LOT cheaper to run than a 243 as a varmint rig, too--this can become a factor if high-volume varminting is in the cards.

Halfbreed
10-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Here in W. KY. we have a tremendous amount of deer, and some hog hunting too. The .223 is a very capable deer and hog cartridge with just a little common sense. 300 yards is very doable with a good bullet, Remington core lokt is always good to go.

John