PDA

View Full Version : Information on Lyman mould

Big Boomer
10-25-2009, 09:55 PM
I have a Lyman mould for .45 ACP that I purchased several years ago and had forgotten. It is a single cavity that is hollowpointed. Everything about it looks good - no rust, though it is no longer altogether blue. I'm largely color blind, so darker colors are a problem for me.

Odd thing about the purchase of this mould, the owner was selling off his gun shop items, going out of business and had a big coffee can full of boolits that had been cast with this mould. They were shot up long ago but I do remember that they shot very accurately.

On one side of the mould halves is imprinted: Lyman 452374EV and below that 1Z. On the opposite mould these numbers: 1-99 and below that 242. What do these numbers and letters mean? 'Tuck

Charlie Sometimes
10-25-2009, 10:18 PM
The mould is sized for casting 452 boolits, the profile is a 374 (round nose).
EV or 1Z might be the "cherry" that they used for cutting the cavities.
1-99 is the manufacture month and year.
242 is just the sequence number used to keep the same mould halves together.

Did that help?

Big Boomer
10-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Charlie:

Did indeed! Thanks. I'm surprised that mould was made that recently, but then, what do I know about moulds? Apparently the mould was relatively new when I bought it. Got it for just a few bucks. In fact, I got both the coffee can full of boolits and the mould with handles for what the mould would have cost minus the handles. 'Tuck

Charlie Sometimes
10-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Wow!
Why can't I find deals like that?

I would have been happy with just the mold and handles!

Too bad you had to get that deal from a place going out of business, though.

Big Boomer
10-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Yeah ... the guy ran a good shop for several years. I bought some of my favorite guns from him over the years. 'Tuck