PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice!

Freightman
10-25-2009, 05:41 PM
This is a little off subject but don't have a idea where to put it.
I am in need of a new air rifle as my old one has gone to pot, I have a large tree rat problem I counted 17 in one pecan tree. I would like to use my 22 but I live in the middle of town. I was using Super Cobray ammo but it is very hard to find.
I have been looking at a GAMO Big Cat .177 1200FPS or a GAMO Super Shadow .22 cal 1000fps. or a Ruger Blackhawk .177 cal 1000fps the Ruger is $50 cheaper than the GAMO.
Would I be better off with the .177 ammo is easier to find and cheaper than the.22 ammo or is it worth the extra for the .22 cal?
This is to kill tree rats and a little target shooting.
Help if you can.

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-25-2009, 05:52 PM
When you say "tree rat" do you mean "squirrels"

I have a older gamo .177 hunter model 1000fps advertised blah, blah blah . . .

I love it, it will go clean through TWO squirrels if they are side by side!

I have shot a woodchuck, and a bunch of skunks with mine, for bigger animals like these you need to be very careful on shot placement with a tiny 4.5 grain pellet!

Freightman
10-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Yes on the squirrels, thanks for the information the GAMO comes with scope. laser, and flashlight for night hunting.

rond
10-25-2009, 05:58 PM
I bought a Daisy 1000 in .177 not to long ago and it performs very well. Made in Turkey, its the break barrel type. Came with a nice scope too.

AZ-Stew
10-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Get close and/or use the heaviest pellet for caliber you can find. They lose velocity quickly, due to low weight. Place your shots carefully.

Regards,

Stew

Freightman
10-25-2009, 06:43 PM
These things are brave they will sit and chatter at you, my little dachshund caught one that went down instead up and tried to outrun her bad mistake. Snapped his neck with one bite.

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-25-2009, 07:43 PM
These things are brave they will sit and chatter at you, my little dachshund caught one that went down instead up and tried to outrun her bad mistake. Snapped his neck with one bite.

Good for the weenie! Atleast it is earning it's keep, now you just need to feed it some squirrel . . .

Mine has a scope on it too, 3X9 (I think) although I think I mounted it, but bought at same time . . . I have shot up to 50 yards, drops them in one shot!

If there are the same price I'd get the 22 . . .

Edubya
10-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Hell, give 'em a sporting chance and have some real skill building experiences, use a wrist rocket with home cast .44", 125 gr balls. If you hit the limb they're sitting on, they'll become prey for the dachshund!
Enjoy life,
EW