PDA

View Full Version : Masking tape for patching.......

bcp477
10-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Well, I tried masking tape as an alternative..... just to see if it might prove at all promising. Nope - not good, in my experience.

First, I removed as much of the adhesive as possible, first by simply applying the tape to cloth, repeatedly. I wrapped some bullets, with the usual two- wrap technique, end angles at about 30 degrees, as I do my PAPER patches....folded bases. This created a final wrapped dia. of about 0.329". So, I lightly lubed the wrapped boolits with wax, then ran them through a 0.323" sizing die (this is for 8 x 57, by the way). My boolits are pre-sized to 0.314, if it matters. Anyway, the final result was a gooey, sticky mess. The sizing simply caused the adhesive to ooze out (and damaged the tape, as well) - creating a mess. No go - not even worth shooting, let alone loading them. Removing the patches was a pain....and I had to clean up the boolits with turp, to get rid of the sticky. So, that technique is OUT.

Moving on, I tried removing most of the adhesive on the tape with a light wipe of (first), denatured alcohol, then (a second batch) with turpentine. Removal of the sticky caused the final wrapped diameter to be about 0.325".....so again, I ran the wrapped boolits through the 0.323" die. The long and short of it is that, unless I really removed most or all of the adhesive from the tape, I got the same result - a gooey, sticky wrapped bullet. The tape was still damaged by the sizing. The result wasn't too bad when I scrubbed off basically all of the sticky from the tape before wrapping.... so those boolits might have been shootable. However, I didn't think it worth the trouble - so I ditched the "project" at that point.

IMO, it's kind of stupid to waste so much effort in preparing the tape beforehand - when I could have patched many bullets in the same time, the usual way (just paper) - without the drama. So, in my view, masking tape is a waste of time.

Someone else might work at it more and have better results....or might disagree, because they've discovered some "secret" to getting it done. I am also aware that some are having success, to some degree, with sticky computer labels. However, all I can say is..... whatever. I don't see any value in adopting a more labor-intensive process, when the "good old-fashioned way" works just fine.....and is simpler, to boot. If there was some sort of adhesive-backed paper tape that happened to be optimized for this sort of thing, so that no prep work was necessary....then I could see it. But, I know of no such thing - and I don't care to spend my time looking. So, though it was interesting to try it (it's always interesting to learn new things) - I'll just stick with the tried and true.

Just thought I'd pass this along, in case it might be helpful to someone else.

montana_charlie
10-25-2009, 01:32 PM
This should be made into a sticky, and be added to by every 'innovative thinker' who tries one of the other hairbrai...(uhh)...unusual ideas that come around fairly regular basis.

Then, the budding PP-er who prefers to travel off the beaten path can eliminate teflon tape, pillowcase linen, copper sheet, celophane, iron-on denim, and heat-shrink tubing...before his wife has to call the guys who carry that really long-sleeved windbreaker with the leather straps.
CM

Digital Dan
10-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Charlie, if they did that the post count in this forum would crash.

303Guy
10-25-2009, 03:01 PM
The important thing is the fun in trying. I've found that nothing must be allowed to 'glue' the paper onto the boolit and many things can act as glue, including lube.

StarMetal
10-25-2009, 11:18 PM
The important thing is the fun in trying. I've found that nothing must be allowed to 'glue' the paper onto the boolit and many things can act as glue, including lube.

303Guy,

Maybe you might try some of this:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-tp/105662799/Class_200_Glass_Cloth_Mica_Tape.html

Joe

bcp477
10-26-2009, 05:44 AM
Hmmm....interesting. I bet it ain't cheap, though...... and I wonder how abrasive "silicone glass mica cloth" (or whatever) tape might be. Just because it has mica (which in this case is for it's electrical insulating properties)....dosen't mean it will have any lubricant effect.

Just thinking out loud........

StarMetal
10-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Hmmm....interesting. I bet it ain't cheap, though...... and I wonder how abrasive "silicone glass mica cloth" (or whatever) tape might be. Just because it has mica (which in this case is for it's electrical insulating properties)....dosen't mean it will have any lubricant effect.

Just thinking out loud........

I knew that would be brought up so I researched it....there are mica greases. :mrgreen:

I'd be more worried about the glass in the adhesive.

Joe

RMulhern
10-26-2009, 02:37 PM
NO!!

There is NO FAST WAY to learn paper patching! Take up golf/bowling if you have no patience!! There are no new 'wheels' to invent in the art of paper patching! The old timers knew what worked and their methods still work the best!

It's not a game for those looking for the easy way out!

JIMinPHX
10-26-2009, 07:10 PM
I don't know anything about paper patching, but I do know a little bit about tape.

Masking tape varies much more than most people would expect. Most masking tapes have adhesives that fall into one of three categories, hot melt, solvent based, or water based. Within each family of adhesives, there are countless actual formulas, & that's just the adhesive component of the tape. The backing material of a masking tape is usually some type of paper, but it has usually been saturated with with some sort of waterproof compound, often a type of rubber. That saturation stuff varies a lot too. Many masking tapes then have a release coating applied on top of the back side to keep the adhesive from sticking to it too well when it's on a roll. That stuff also varies. Even within a single company or a single brand name, there may be over 100 subtle variations in the types of masking tapes that they make for specific application (car painting, house painting, UV resistant, fine edge, long lasting, high adhesion, low adhesion, etc.). The one that you tried didn't work out for you. That doesn't mean that there isn't another out there that will. Finding the best one to try is probably like looking for a grain of sand on the beach though. There is also a very good chance that there are no good masking tapes for this application in existence, since the high temperature adhesives are generally not cheap & most masking tape is. Also, I can't think of a back side saturation compound off the top of my head that would not gum up your barrel.

I am sure that there are several tape companies that are perfectly capable of developing a tape that would be perfect for this application. If there was likely to be sufficient market demand to make it a profitable venture, at least a few of them would jump right on it. Unfortunately, that is probably not the case.

It is possible to buy plain 20# paper in rolls that are 1/2" & 3/4" wide. If you think that would be useful, I can look into finding a vendor for small quantities, like a single 100-yard roll of this preexisting material.

montana_charlie
10-26-2009, 07:42 PM
...or wrap your bullets with Post-It Note paper and write your load information on there so each round carries the formula for success...

303Guy
10-27-2009, 02:32 AM
I wouldn't be worried about the glass tape damaging the bore. But for sure it's not going to form confetti at the muzzle![smilie=1:

...or wrap your bullets with Post-It Note paper and write your load information on there so each round carries the formula for success...Mmmm .... sounds like good advice!:mrgreen:

JIMinPHX
10-27-2009, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't be worried about the glass tape damaging the bore.

I don't know exactly which tape you guys were talking about, but genuine fiberglass is used as scrim in some types of tape & I definitely would NOT want that in my bore.