PDA

View Full Version : NOE 311284 w/ 300 Savage

280Ackley
10-25-2009, 12:28 PM
I got to do some shooting yesterday. So I thought I would share my results. Last weekend I cast some NOE 311284. Nice mould Swede. Once it was up to temp casting was fast and the boolits dropped cleanly from the mould. I cast with straight ww and air cooled. They were sized to .309 and lubed in the last two grooves with BAC. The first picture is them sized, lubed and sorted by weight. Weight was pretty consistant at least for me about half went 224 and half went 223.5 these plus or minus 0.2 grns. I was able to seat them out to 2.60. The load was 17.0 grns of 2400. The second picture shows the rifle with some loaded ammo on the bench. Rifle is a a Rem 722 chambered for 300 Savage in a Boyd stock and a Bushnell 3200 2x7 on top. The next photo shows the first five shots. Distance was 100 yards. The Outers target in the upper right has 1 inch grid for scale. The last photo shows the first 10. As you can see accuracy fell off pretty fast with this load as the barrel started to lead with these soft boolits. When I cleaned the rifle this morning I had some fairly large slivers of lead come out and it took a long time with a brush and about 50 patches to get back down to bare metal. Next time water quenched and more lube. But for first results I was pleased. I think I can get these boolits to shoot in this short necked case.

Blammer
10-25-2009, 03:32 PM
good shooting!

may I suggest you try .310 sizing if your rifle will take them, may help out on the leading.

Dutch4122
10-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Another idea is to measure the inside of a fired case neck. That will tell you the max diameter you can size to; or you can size to .001" under that measurement and still get better results (less leading) than going .001" over bore diameter.

Hope this helps,