PDA

View Full Version : hello everyone

byf42
04-29-2006, 09:46 PM
hello to everyone! came over from another forum at the recommendation of another member.. am currently looking for a 10 gauge slug mold, but cannot find one. any suggestions?

wills
04-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Welcome to the asylum! Unfortunately I don’t know anything about a slug mold, but surely someone who does will be along shortly. However, let me caution you to take with a grain of salt anything you read about sheep.

Buckshot
04-30-2006, 05:14 AM
..............byf42, welcome to the board. How come someone with a handle like that is monkeying around with a shotgun, :-)?

There are a couple guys around here messing with shotgun slugs, but I think they were 12 and 20 ga. A 10ga slug, eh? Hurts to even talk about it, doesn't it. Had a friend who had a 1842 rifled .69 cal musket. Shot someting like a 645gr Minie'. Not even 12ga size I don't think, and it sure rolled him back on his heels when he shot it.

.................Buckshot

44man
04-30-2006, 08:49 AM
I can't find any 10 ga slug moulds but you can load 12 ga slugs for it. Here is one recipe;
This calls for a 3.5" shell. 42 gr's of PB powder, BPD wad with 2, 12 ga .250 felt wads in the plastic wad topped with a .100 12 ga card over the felt. Insert a 12 ga slug and fold crimp. You have to cut 4 slits in the wad so it leaves the slug.
Most 12 ga slugs will fit in the 10 ga shotcups. A loose slug can be wrapped in teflon, sold by BPI.
www.ballisticproducts.com does show a 10 ga Defender slug that weighs 655 gr's. The diameter is .660". Also an improved Foster that weighs 1-1/2 ounces. Still at .660", these fit in a shotcup. You will have to contact them to see what they have and get loading information.
The 12 ga Lyman shuttle cock slug has a diameter of .685 to fit in WAA12R wads and is very accurate. You have to measure the inside of a 10 ga shotcup to see how they would fit. Wads vary in thickness depending on if they are made for steel, heavy shot or lead so you would have to find the right one. This slug is too large to fit 12 ga steel shot wads so it might fit certain 10 ga wads perfect, you have to experiment.
The Lee 12 ga slug measures .670".