PDA

View Full Version : levergun outing with 41 gb boolits

GregP42
04-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Woke up this after noon and decided to go shoot some, I had been playing with some ideas with the .41 group buy mold in my marlin 1894FG, was afraid it was going to be too small when sized to .411, but it seems to like the gun just fine. I had loaded up 50 of the GBM .41s without gaschecks and another 50 with (Guess which ones I forgot at the house.) So I drive the 2 1/2 hours down to my dad's place in Ky. and head to the range. Since this was the first time shooting cast out of the rifle I thought I better shoot it at 25 yards, I put up the only target I had handy, it is a strange target I am not sure where dad got it, but it reads Target, Rifle "D" (300 yard) Reduced for 50-Foot qualifcation and traning (Stage 3). I wish I had a camera as it is a weird looking beast. Anyway, I pop 5 rounds down range of the non gaschecked boolits, at the center target, the black part is the same size as the bead on the mariln, let me tell you that is fun to line up on again. Well we walked down and looked at it, 1,2,3,4 ok... where is number 5, it ended up two in one hole, so I have three shots side by side that center to center are just over .42 then one to the top that is about .6 high and one low that is about .6, I think I found the load, so I tried it again, 5 shots, two over lapping, two touching and one that is less that .45 away... No leading in the micro groove barrel even after 50 rounds, did a 100 yard target using the same thing, the bead is the size of the target at 100 yards, and it is about 1.5 high and 4.5 wide if you count the flyer, 2.5 if you don't! OK.... now I have to remember to bring the gaschecked ones down with me next time to see how they do. I will say that that 265gr boolit thumps when it hits out there at 100 yards, I only have 8gr of Unique in there, I wonder how it will do if I go faster. I will see if I can find someone that has a camera and take pictures of the targets, they made me real happy. Next outing I will remember the crony, gaschecked boolits and my little hand press and scales so I can play with the load.

Knew I was forgetting stuff on only 4 hours of sleep :coffee:

Greg

45 2.1
04-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Standard length cases crimped in the crimp groove?

475/480
04-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Good shootin,hard to imagine GC boolits will do any better.

Sean

GregP42
05-01-2006, 12:17 AM
Standard length cases crimped in the crimp groove?

Yep, standard 41 mag cases crimped in the groove. Rifle feads them fine, but it won't feed the 41028 worth a darn for some reason, and don't even thing of a wad cutter feading in it.

Greg

GregP42
05-01-2006, 12:19 AM
Good shootin,hard to imagine GC boolits will do any better.

Sean

Sean,

I hope to know in a few weeks when I go back down there. I will let you know. They seem to shoot OK out of my blackhawk, but not that good, just need to find a load that will work good in them both, one load for two weapons.

Greg

GregP42
06-05-2006, 08:54 PM
All right, I have got my webcam fixed so I can take a picture with it of the target.

http://www.stdio.com/~gregp/image/41-mag.jpg

And in the foreground is the loaded round. This round feed well in my Marlin, but I still haven't found a load that the Ruger likes, so far the best group with it is 3 inches at 25 yards.

Greg

DanWalker
06-07-2006, 09:22 PM
The target you shot at is a scaled down 300 yard line rapid fire target from the old USMC known distance rifle qualification course. We fired 10 rounds in 60 seconds, starting from a standing position and dropping prone to fire. I imagine the targets you have were for qualification by units without access to a 500 yard range.

GregP42
06-08-2006, 01:29 AM
The target you shot at is a scaled down 300 yard line rapid fire target from the old USMC known distance rifle qualification course. We fired 10 rounds in 60 seconds, starting from a standing position and dropping prone to fire. I imagine the targets you have were for qualification by units without access to a 500 yard range.

Dan,

Thanks, I wasn't sure what they were, Dad had them in the closet when I stoped by his place. They looked like a good target for the Marlin as the outline is just about the right shape for the front sight on the rifle.

Greg

jerdog53
06-22-2006, 08:46 AM
GregP42

You might try 20gr of H11o with that 265gr gas checked boolet as my Ruger will shoot 1.5" @ 50 if I do my part, its a real thumper and a little hard to hang on to.