PDA

View Full Version : Mold cleaning?

code6charles
10-25-2009, 02:58 AM
Hello to all,
I have just recently started to :castmine: and was wondering how often do you clean your molds. Do you clean it after every session like after going shooting?:Fire:
Thanks in advanced for any replies.

Gerry N.
10-25-2009, 04:18 AM
Hello to all,
I have just recently started to :castmine: and was wondering how often do you clean your molds. Do you clean it after every session like after going shooting?:Fire:

I clean my molds when I acquire them. That's it.

Gerry N.

stubshaft
10-25-2009, 04:27 AM
Unless something unusual happens I don't clean the cavities at all. Might wipe down the outside with Kroil to get any lead streaks/tinsel off of it.

Edubya
10-25-2009, 06:10 AM
Hello to all,
Welcome to the forum code6charles.
It depends on what you call cleaning. Yes, they will come new with some preservative grease on them that needs to be cleaned off with brake cleaner, or boiled in hot water and scrubbed with a nylon (tooth) brush. I will sometimes get out of rhythm and open the spur a little too soon and get lead smears. I clean those immediately with a damp wash cloth that I keep near by.
I've found that if I put just a little bit of Kroil oil on the mould at the end of each casting session, it will cast near perfect bullets and release them easier in the future. Then if I'm not going to use the mould again for a month or so, I'll soak it down with WD-40 before storing it and then have to clean that off prior to using it again.
Good Luck,
EW

Shiloh
10-25-2009, 10:18 AM
I clean with thoroughly with mineral spirits, chase that with break cleaner, repeat the process with dish soap and Mr. Clean. Rinse with as hot water as you can get.

This is a variation of the process learned right here at Cast Boolits.

I coat my iron molds after use with a light coat of oil. The process is repeated before re-use.

Shiloh

stephen perry
10-25-2009, 03:12 PM
I clean only when I buy a mold new or used. I will use most anything I have at hand. Check around your house, shop, or garage you have all you need to clean molds with.

I have been known only to myself to use anything that will not harm iron or aluminum. Some clean items to consider-- kerosene, turpentine, Kroil, old Hoppes, rubbing alcohol, auto polish, toothpaste, JB, steel wool, WD 40 and all the oil based cleaners Ma used to use especially those of paraffin base. Clean is clean. I use nylon brushes on the molds. After all the cleaning hose down with some good brake cleaner.

For todays casting heat well and cast fast with quality drops in mind. For storage spray liberally with silicone and keep molds in a dry even temp room.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR :brokenima

code6charles
10-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the replies. There is a lot to learn from this forum. I have been looking arround for a while and decited to start casting my own. 9mm 45acp and 12g slugs.
Thanks again to all,
code6charles

BIG GUN
10-27-2009, 08:44 PM
If there is a minor rust problem or some major sticking of boolits, I use a #2 lead pencil. It will clean out grunge in the mold and put down a light coat of graphite.
This will take any rough spots out.