PDA

View Full Version : Nice loads for .32 mag in Ruger

Newtire
10-24-2009, 08:03 PM
I loaded up a bunch of different loads in the never ending quest for a great load and just plain having fun as usual and came across a couple of great ones in the .32 mag. These were fired out of a Ruger Blackhawk and then a Single-Six.

RCBS 90 gr. Cowboy type and 6.0 gr. 2400and then 7.0 gr. 2400. Lost of promise. I know this is over listed and so is 8.0gr. but sure shoots. Ruger only. I wouldn't think of this in my little H & R 586.

Also loaded some Herco with 4.2 grains and the same boolit. Pretty scary accuracy! I'll have to get some velocity reading on these next week as tomorrow is Honeydo day.

I

Hickory
10-24-2009, 08:39 PM
I have the RCBS 90 gr amd it shoots very good in all my 32's with reduced loads. It's a good plinkin' bullet.
I may have to try a little stiffer load to see how the do.
The powders I use are aa2, unique, 231 and tightgroup.
These work good for pee-wee loads.

jleneave
10-28-2009, 06:12 AM
Boy, it sure would be nice if Ruger would put out a .327 Fed. Mag. in one of thier single action revolvers!!!!

Jody

Newtire
10-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Boy, it sure would be nice if Ruger would put out a .327 Fed. Mag. in one of thier single action revolvers!!!!

Jody

If you keep your eyes open, you can pick up one of the Buckeye Blackhawks like I got ahold of a couple of years ago. I see them on Gunbroker from time to time.

The cylinder is long enough to have it reamed out to accept the .327. The thing is that this revolver comes with a .32-20 cylinder already and since this same revolver with even thinner cylinder walls in .357 mag. is rated for a higher pressure ceiling, we all know that now common sense dictates that the .32-20 could safely be bumped up a bit from the low pressures it is saddled with in this particular case.

It then becomes pretty redundant to have one cylinder reamed out to something you already can duplicate. Now, if they made a .327 on a little smaller frame single action, that would be handy.

Bret4207
10-28-2009, 08:40 AM
I'd be happy with a J frame 4-5 inch Kit Gun in 32 Mag, blued of course.

Newtire
10-28-2009, 09:08 AM
I'd be happy with a J frame 4-5 inch Kit Gun in 32 Mag, blued of course.

I have a friend who told me he would leave me one in his will. What a sweet gun!

Bullshop
10-28-2009, 01:27 PM
GLOAT! I have both the 4" Kit gun in 32 mag, its stainless though, and the Ruger Buckeye 32mag/32/20. Now I will switch gears and whine about both.
I don't care for the S&W because it seems too small. I don't care for the Buckeye because it seems too big. Kinda picky aint I!!!
What I think would be perfect is a 5" single six in 32 mag. I seldom use mag cases but prefer the longs. I have no use for the 32/20 cylender in the Buckeye. I prefer the 357 mag if more power is needed. That right there is my gripe about the Buckeye. If I have to carry a full size Black Hawk it may as well be a 357. The single six I my view is the perfect size for the 32 mag/long
I was very close recently to trading a board member (don't remember who) my Buckeye for a single six until I saw a Buckeye sell for an unbelievable price at auction.
I think what I will do is auction the Buckeye and then search for a single six 32 mag.
These are my twisted thoughts and likely wont jibe with anyone else. My most favorite revolver at present is a first model single six in 22 CCM. It wears a set of stag grips that were put on when the gun was new now approaching 40 years. The grips are well aged and pleasing to behold.
Well there I go again and we still are a month and a half from the start of winter.
BIC/BS

leftiye
10-28-2009, 05:08 PM
K-frame maybe? .32 mag. to 327 conversion? (Please excuse the gloat)

Bret4207
10-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Dan, I can make that 9" SSM I have into a 5 incher real fast. The offer is still open.

Bullshop
10-28-2009, 07:59 PM
I think I can sell the buckeye and buy two single sixes.

beagle
10-28-2009, 08:20 PM
The Single Six .32 Mags are just right IMO. I had one and elected to upgrade to a Buckeye because of the .32-20 cylinder. AnthonyB was the recipient of the Single Six.

I think a 5 1/2" barrel Single Six would make a great woods gun./beagle

Newtire
10-28-2009, 08:37 PM
I think I can sell the buckeye and buy two single sixes.

I will trade you a single six stainless for the smith!

Bullshop
10-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Its going to take some taboot too.

Bullshop
10-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Say Beagle how is the 32/20 doing for you? Mine has not yet given me the accuracy of the 32/mag cylender. The mag even does good with the 32 long cases. When you surpass the 32 mag level of performance with the 32/20 it seem to become rather loud and obnoxious. I felt if I need to go there I might do better with a 357 mag.
I really like the smaller milder 32's though.
BIC/BS

jleneave
10-28-2009, 11:29 PM
If you keep your eyes open, you can pick up one of the Buckeye Blackhawks like I got ahold of a couple of years ago. I see them on Gunbroker from time to time.

The cylinder is long enough to have it reamed out to accept the .327. The thing is that this revolver comes with a .32-20 cylinder already and since this same revolver with even thinner cylinder walls in .357 mag. is rated for a higher pressure ceiling, we all know that now common sense dictates that the .32-20 could safely be bumped up a bit from the low pressures it is saddled with in this particular case.

It then becomes pretty redundant to have one cylinder reamed out to something you already can duplicate. Now, if they made a .327 on a little smaller frame single action, that would be handy.

Newtire, thanks for the heads up. From what I have heard they are fairly expensive. I think that if Ruger would chamber it in the same size as the 32 H&R single six (I think that's right) they wouldn't be able to keep up with orders for sometime. Thanks again!

Jody

Newtire
10-29-2009, 08:24 AM
Its going to take some taboot too.

I just looked on Gunbroker and saw a Smith up for bids for 1200+$.! You could get 2 or 3 Rugers for that.

Harry O
10-29-2009, 08:33 AM
I have the S&W Kitgun and the Ruger Single-Six, both in .32 Magnum. I use the S&W with standard lead loads or their handloaded equivalent. That is 4.5gr to 5.0gr of HS-6 with a 98gr plain-base bullet for me. That is more than powerful enough for hunting squirrel and rabbit. I love it as a walk around gun (although I cannot do that much anymore).

I load the Ruger considerably higher. I have seen published up to 8.5gr of 2400 with a jacketed bullet. I had problems ejecting the cases with that load. The gun did not seem to have any problem with the pressure of these loads, though. The problem with ejection was partly because of the very small tolerances you have aligning the chamber with the notch in the frame and some sticking of the brass. When I would push hard enough to break the brass free, the alignment would slip just a little bit and jam up. I tried polishing the insides of the chambers. It helped a little, but not enough. I eventually reduced it to 7.5gr of 2400 to get easy ejection. It ejects easily enough with that load. I also shoot 118gr 311316-GC through it.

The 2400 loads are more than is recommended for some .32 Magnum guns. I would never use them in my S&W, but the Ruger has no problem with them. I have not hunted with it. The load is too powerful for small game and there is no medium game around here (and hasn't been for at least two generations).

I looked at a full sized Ruger in .32 Mag/32-20 a couple of times, but it did seem much too large for the .32's. I passed.

Rodfac
10-29-2009, 09:22 AM
I've had good luck with my Ruger SS .32. It packs well in my right rear jeans pocket and 4.0 gr of Unique, Win Sp primers, Starline brass and Bonus 93 gr BBSWC at .312" shoots into 1.25" at 25 yds. It's my favorite load. Crimped on the fwd edge of the bands, I'm estimating that it's a 950 fps combination. I've yet to chrono it however. Here's a pic of the piece with some home made grips on it. The irregular solder line on the front sight is my own effort after knocking the blade off in an attempt to correct a windage problem. It now shoots within an inch of where I'm looking at 25 yds...close enough for me...but I'd not try tapping a front sight again...back to Ruger for that kind of fix. Regards, Rodfac
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/Rodfac/Grips/R-32a.jpg

19112TAP
10-29-2009, 11:47 AM
I have two Ruger Single-Six Bisley models and like both really well. I have only used 4.0 gr of Unquie with lyman 311008 crimped over the front band. Haven't had time to work with other powders/bullets yet but hopfully soon. What got me started with the 32 mag, I was at an auction and picked up a like new Marlin 1894 32 mag and fell in love with the gun and the round so much that I was able to pick up the Ruger Bisley's. In the future I would like to try the RCBS 98gr SWC.

9.3X62AL
10-29-2009, 02:32 PM
NO KIDDING about the Ruger SSM x 5.5" being a near-perfect trail gun. That is one that I'm sorry I let get away.

The RCBS 98 SWC has become my go-to boolit in 32 S&W Long and 32 Magnum. Every velocity level from 700-1200 FPS remains accurate, and I cannot find a powder that won't shoot at least decently.

All it takes is a mere mention of the 32 Magnum or 327 Federal, and there are 20-40 posts in a day and a half. S&W, are you looking on? Ruger, can you take a hint? INSTALL FIELD-LENGTH BARRELS.

Dale53
10-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Al;
We have complained about "marketing people" before and both you and I will do again. We need some real "gunnies" making some of these decisions at the manufacturers. That's what's missing, these days...

The recent Ruger .44 Lipsey Special is a perfect example. Ruger put off building it for fifty years (in this case, rather understandable as they had about all the orders for .44 magnums they could fill). The Lipseys took off and now they are cataloged items next year.

On topic:
I have an S&W 631 (.32 H&R Mag with 4" barrel on a "J" frame - really a .32 Kit Gun), an S&W Model 16-4 (6" barrel) with a Red Dot, and a Ruger SP 101 with 4" barrel and a Red Dot sight.

Nearly all of my loads with this combination is with .32 S&W Longs. My preference has become the 100 gr Keith Group Buy ahead of 2.8 grs of 231. I have never chronographed this one but it has allowed me to shoot some VERY nice scores. Al, you told me I would reach this conclusion when I used 100 gr bullets.... As you are, so often, you were correct in this conclusion.

I also have a .32 H&R Chambered TC Carbine (with a 22" SSK custom barrel).

I have shot the magnum case in the 16-4 and Ruger SP 101 with 100 gr Keith ahead of 10.0 grs of H110. In the Smith it chronographs 1100 fps. It does not have much utility value for me (although I could see it on Coyotes). Generally, my hunting has been for edible small game and the .32 S&W Long with proper bullets and load has that job sewed up. It is REALLY a nice small game load.

If you buy bullets, don't overlook Speer and Hornady HBWC's. I have shot a BUSHEL of these - great accuracy, and if you are shooting squirrels, they have somewhat limited range compared to SWC's (if you miss the tree).

FWIW
Dale53

Bret4207
10-29-2009, 02:59 PM
The idea of a field gun with a less than 4" barrel and fixed sights is just dumb, yet that's what we're offered. Smith used to make a nice J frame 38 with a light 5" barrel and adjustable sights. If they'd make a 32 like that I'd scrape the money together somehow. Of course they'd make it in stainless, which I hate, but I'd still try to get one.

blue45colt
10-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Dale,

I've read before your preference for the .32 Long over the .32 H&R for small game hunting.

I have a question in reguards to shooting the longs in a .32 H&R chamber.
If the gun is chambered in .32 H&R what is your reason(s) for using the long?
I understand that the long is better suited to small game hunting, but why not just load the H&R case to the long ballistics?

The reason I'm asking the question is I'm in the early stages of having a OM single six converted to .32H&R which I intend to use primarly for small game and plinking. If there is a advantage to the long such as better accuracy or some other advantage, maybe I should have it chambered for the long case.

Thanks

9.3X62AL
10-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Dale,

I've read before your preference for the .32 Long over the .32 H&R for small game hunting.

I have a question in reguards to shooting the longs in a .32 H&R chamber.
If the gun is chambered in .32 H&R what is your reason(s) for using the long?
I understand that the long is better suited to small game hunting, but why not just load the H&R case to the long ballistics?

The reason I'm asking the question is I'm in the early stages of having a OM single six converted to .32H&R which I intend to use primarly for small game and plinking. If there is a advantage to the long such as better accuracy or some other advantage, maybe I should have it chambered for the long case.

Thanks

In a sufficiently strong platform, the 32 S&W Long can be elevated in performance well past its 1899 envelope. Modern cases are quite strong, and I've run the RCBS 98 SWC to 1000 FPS from S&W Long cases in my 32 Magnums--both the now-departed SSM and the S&W Model 16-4.

I can't see an accuracy fall-off between the SWL case and the Magnum case, in either direction. I use SWL cases in SWL revolvers, and load them to 700-750 FPS. I load the Magnum cases in the Mag revos, and run them from 700-1200 FPS. I have a Lyman #313631, a gas-checked SWC that hasn't been quite as accurate as the RCBS 98 SWC. Maybe it needs to be driven faster than I've run it, that remains to be seen. My view--the calibers both show fine accuracy with well-fit boolits, and 95-100 grainers have been the best for me. Case length isn't a factor. I just dislike cleaning the crud ring that gets left by shooting "Special" length cases in Magnum length chambers.

In 32-20, 115-120 grain boolits do better work than the 95-100 grain projectiles--for me, anyway.

Dale53
10-29-2009, 08:08 PM
blue45colt;
My use of the .32 S&W Long cases in .32 Magnums isn't really so much of a "preference" as an early necessity.

When Ruger produced the first Single Six in .32 H&R, I jumped on the band wagon. I shot the dickens out of my little 4 5/8" barreled six gun. I mentioned that I really would like a Smith in that caliber. Shortly, I spied a 631 (right after they hit the market) and got it. Just a little while later the 16-4 was released. I am definitely a fan for the .32's.

Right after I got the Ruger Single Six, Federal quit selling all components to reloaders. They were the ONLY source of .32 H&R brass. I bought a few boxes of factory loads for their brass (the factory lead bullets didn't shoot well for me) and the brass was absolute JUNK. I would get several split cases out of every box I shot. The cases split down the side. This was with several different lot numbers.

In order to shoot my guns, I went to a local commercial loader. He had a contact that kept him fed with "first nighter" (once fired) .32 S&W Long brass. He offered it to me at a VERY good price and I "took a chance" and bought a couple of thousand cases. I never lost a case from splits or frankly, from any cause until they had been loaded many, many times.

You might say, I got in the habit of using .32 S&W Long cases. I discovered that a good HBWC or 100 gr SWC (it was the 98 gr RCBS bullet) did excellent work on small game at a reasonable velocity (800-850 fps). I really didn't need more power for the work I was putting my guns to (target work + small game).

I got advance notice that Starline was going to start shipping .32 H&R cases. I ordered up a couple of thousand cases. They work extremely well and I can recommend them without reservation. I have had NO problems with the Starline cases.

However, I just find myself continuing to load the S&W Long cases...

If you are getting a new gun, then just get a couple of thousand Starline .32 H&R Magnum cases and load them like you prefer (light to heavy).

I have absolutely NO desire for a .327 Federal (besides, I am STILL carrying a grudge against Federal for their decision to not sell components to reloaders at the time:evil:).

FWIW
Dale53

Bret4207
10-30-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm with Dale. The Long case works fine for everything in the cast area. I've tried the Mag brass and used it for my jacketed loads. The jacketed bullets just aren't any better than my castings. All they do is give me freedom form leading woes when I up the pressure. They don't work any better of coyotes and snapping turtles and porkies.

The 327 is an answer looking for a question. But, if they made one on a J frame with that set up I mentioned earlier, I'd buy one!

Newtire
10-30-2009, 09:09 AM
I've had good luck with my Ruger SS .32. It packs well in my right rear jeans pocket and 4.0 gr of Unique, Win Sp primers, Starline brass and Bonus 93 gr BBSWC at .312" shoots into 1.25" at 25 yds. It's my favorite load. Crimped on the fwd edge of the bands, I'm estimating that it's a 950 fps combination. I've yet to chrono it however. Here's a pic of the piece with some home made grips on it. The irregular solder line on the front sight is my own effort after knocking the blade off in an attempt to correct a windage problem. It now shoots within an inch of where I'm looking at 25 yds...close enough for me...but I'd not try tapping a front sight again...back to Ruger for that kind of fix. Regards, Rodfac
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/Rodfac/Grips/R-32a.jpg

That's what I'm going to have to do to mine now that I have knocked off the front sight. Fits down into a little groove I see so will have a small project some weekend.

Rodfac
10-30-2009, 10:05 AM
9.3....I've also got another .32... a S&W M-16-?. It's a shooter as well, but the full length lug on the barrel and the straight up post front sight make it difficult to pack in my jeans pocket and it'll scrape leather "dust" from any holster I've tried it in. The extra weight is also objectionable.

S&W's J frame model 60 would be ideal especially if they set it up with the 3" barrel. My wife's Chief Special, with its flat black blueing in that barrel length is perfect in that regard. With the goncalo alves (Sp?) grips it's a good looking piece, but is really useful in its primary role as a night stand gun, with Crimson Trace laser's attached. I had no idea just how accurate it really was until I tried it with those laser grips. Two handed, with my elbows hard against my hip bones gave me a cpl of 1 1/4" gps at..30 yds. It's a tack driver when held that way, even better than what I can do off sandbags...something to do with the smaller grips and the way I nhold the gun... but it's the laser grips that are really doing the aiming. But I digress...that frame size..."J"... with the .32 H&R Mag would be a winning combination.

Regards, Rodfac

Dale53
10-30-2009, 10:20 AM
I have a S&W 631 (essentially, the model 60 in .32 H&R Magnum with a four inch barrel and adjustable sights).

It is a great little gun, shoots well, easy to zero with the adjustable sights.

However, it is so barrel light that it is difficult to shoot well unsupported. I can do well with it but it is hard work to do so.

On the other hand, the 16-4 (6" barrel) holds exceptionally well and is relatively easy to shoot (I have put a Red Dot sight on mine). It is heavy to carry though, and I don't think of it as a field piece, much. However, in a cross chest holster (the Bianchi Hush System) it works very well and is hardly noticeable in the field.

Rodfac, you just may get to try the "J" frame out...:mrgreen:

Dale53

Harry O
10-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Also agree with Dale53.

My experience with .32 Magnum cases being brittle and Federal not standing behind them is identical to his.

I used .32 Long cases most of the time until Starline started making Magnum cases. I had no real difference in accuracy between loads in the Long cases and those in the Magnum cases -- EXCEPT. The one exception was with Hornady swaged HBWC. They did not work at all well in a Magnum chamber using Long cases. They did work well with Magnum cases, though. Roundnose and SWC bullets were not a problem (accuracy wise) in the shorter cases.

Here is what I wrote on the .32 some years ago.

http://www.sixshootercommunity.com/articles/harry_o/perfect_kitgun.html

Dale53
10-30-2009, 04:29 PM
HarryO;
Nice article on the .32.

I had no problems with accuracy with the Hornady HBWC's but have yet to find a totally satisfactory load for the Hornady Swaged 90 gr SWC. Using
"exotic" reloading methods (by not sizing the case and seating the SWC in the bullet seating die then crimping in the Lee Factory Crimp die) I have managed to get "acceptable" accuracy but I am still not satisfied. What I really need is a long "powder through" expanding stem at .312" or .313" and resume sizing.

I normally prefer to cast my bullets but ran onto a "must buy" for several thousand of the Hornady SWC's and couldn't pass them up.

Lee no longer offers this special powder drop die (I talked to the Lee techs on this) and it is a shame.

I guess I'll just have to have a friend with a lathe (I'm rapidly running out of friends - at my age I attend more funerals than weddings:confused:) make me a custom one. I need to call Dillon - maybe they offer one.

Dale53

Harry O
10-30-2009, 09:04 PM
"I had no problems with accuracy with the Hornady HBWC's but have yet to find a totally satisfactory load for the Hornady Swaged 90 gr SWC."

Different guns, different preferences. It sounds like that they are a LOT more pickey with wadcutters than any other shape, though, since we have both had problems with those shapes.

BTW, since I wrote that, I found a Ruger Single-Six .32 Magnum at a reasonable price. I should have bought it when it first came out instead of 10 or 12 years later. Both of them are very nice, but are used for different things at different times.

Then there is my S&W Model 16 rechambered to 32-20.

Landric
11-03-2009, 04:12 PM
I really like the .32 H&R, but at the moment I'm limited in what I can do with it because the only revolvers I have chambered for it are 2" Airweight J-frames. I'd really like a Single Six in .32 H&R, but of course Ruger isn't offering them anymore, and the only way I can afford one is layaway (3 kids does that to you). That means I have to look around until I find a shop with a used one that offers layaway. So far I have found one shop that has two used ones, but they want about $100 more than the going rate, and they only have 30 day layaway. I suppose eventually I'll find one, and then I can do some real load development past the plinking level stuff that I can shoot in my S&Ws, its great fun, but I want MORE! :)

curiousgeorge
11-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Got in on this posting a little late. Landric, keep looking for the Ruger SSM. I picked one up in 5.5" about 10 years ago. It is the perfect little packing gun and can change from plinker or small game getter to coyote medicine just by changing what's in the cylinder.

I had one of the Buckeye combos and sold it and bought the SSM. Back then the difference in price was not what it is today, but still had enough extra cash to lay in a good supply of bullets, dies and a mould. The Hornady hbwc and swc swaged bullets with a light charge of BE is amazingly accurate. The Lyman 100 gr swc w/ gc and a stiff load of H110 or the old Remington 32-20 100 gr jacketed soft point (found 1000 of these at a pawn shop for $15 when I sold the Buckeye) will sure put a hurtin' on a coyote.

I too shoot a lot of the 32 S&W Long cases. I still have almost two boxes of the Federal factory 32 mag loads. Fired 12 rounds and EVERY case split. Couldn't find the first Magnum case to reload until Starline started making them, so most of my early shooting was in the Long case.

Dale53 - we are still thinking alike!!

Steve

dualsport
12-08-2009, 02:49 AM
I found a Ruger SSM in like new condition at a gunstore in NorCal, I jumped on it, very fair price, even comes with the box. I had to put it on layaway, with Christmas and all, but I can't wait to bring it home. I've been kicking myself for years for not getting one way back, now I finally got one. This is going to be fun. I take it from the posts here that Starline is my best bet for brass. If anybody has dies or .32 Long dies for sale I could use them. I'm told the Long dies will work fine for the mag. too. I assume they are all carbide?

Pepe Ray
12-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Just in case your following this post;
Your desire for a powder drop /expander has been met for some time now.
Lyman has a SET of expander's designed like the "M" die except that they are all bored thru.
Just checked the dimensions on mine (.32p) Steps up from .310" to .315".
The length is standard.
The set is worthwhile ,with extenders etc.
Check it out!
Pepe Ray

Mk42gunner
12-08-2009, 12:40 PM
I found a Ruger SSM in like new condition at a gunstore in NorCal, I jumped on it, very fair price, even comes with the box. I had to put it on layaway, with Christmas and all, but I can't wait to bring it home. I've been kicking myself for years for not getting one way back, now I finally got one. This is going to be fun. I take it from the posts here that Starline is my best bet for brass. If anybody has dies or .32 Long dies for sale I could use them. I'm told the Long dies will work fine for the mag. too. I assume they are all carbide?

What barrel length did you get? I have a 6 1/2" SSM that I gave $400 for six or seven years ago at a gun show in Fallon, NV. I really wish I would have bought a few of these back when Ruger was making them in the 80's and 90's. I think the shorter barrels on the SSM would be a lot handier.

.32 S&W Long has been around long enough that there are steel dies for it.

On the woulda, coulda, shoulda front; I remember seeing one of the buckeye's in a gunshop in San Diego for IIRC $325:violin:.

Robert

9.3X62AL
12-08-2009, 02:39 PM
A 32 S&W Long die set will do well for 32 Magnum; that is what I've used since 1985, and the steel sizer die came first. RCBS tungsten-carbide came along soon after the first 32 Magnum landed that same year, and a Hornady titanium-nitride (?) sizer for the 32 ACP followed not long afterward. The RCBS T/C gives a "Coke-bottle" aspect to cases that the Hornady die and the RCBS steel sizer manage to avoid--the difference is about .005" diametrically.

I've never been able to shoot any J-frame S&W very well owing to their small size, but some recent playtimes with a Colt Police Positive x 4" in 38 S&W have shown a probable reason for same. The PP's stock grips were impossible for me to do anything with, so I scrounged a set of Pachmayr Presentation grips for Colt D-frames. They took a little re-shaping to adapt to the early-series (1920) frame, but they work. Now that there is something to hold on to, that little roller REALLY SHOOTS. I suspect that similar equipment on a Kit Gun might enable successful usage--the Presentations were one aftermarket grip set I never tried on Kitters.

dualsport
12-08-2009, 03:44 PM
This will sound dumb, but I don't remember the barrel length! I was so excited I just blew thru the paperwork like if I didn't hurry I might not get it! Nuts, huh? If my memory is anygood I think it's 6". I would have jumped on it no matter the barrel length. I don't really want to make you guys cry, but it was $350. I am in hog heaven. Also, thanks for the input on the dies and such. Now I will be looking for a mold. I may try my little Lee .30 soupcan, since I already have that mold.

9.3X62AL
12-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Dualsport--

Not nuts, just a rather mild occurrence of Mid-Caliber Mania. CAN I GET A WITNESS?

Mk42gunner
12-08-2009, 05:36 PM
$350.00 for an SSM? The smell of burning plastic would linger for days.

Robert

Larry Gibson
12-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Pretty much concur with Bullshop. I have two .32 revolvers; a S&W M30 with 3" barrel in .32 S&WL and an original run Ruger Single Six with6 1/2" barrel in .32 H&R. I think both of them make perfect "trail guns" and I prefer the Ruger for the job. In the shown high ride Bianchi #1L it rides high on a belt and I can tell no difference between it and my 5 1/2" single actions. The longer sight radius makes it one of the most accurate revolvers I've ever had. The M30 rides well and is quite protected in the Uncle Mike's size 2 Sidekick holster.

In the .32S&WL I load the Speer and hornady HBWCs over 2.1 gr of bullseye for right at 800 fps, a very accurate and deadly load on small game. However, I mostly load the Lee TL314-90-SWC over 3 gr of Bullseye for 1010 fps, also very accurate and deadly. In the Ruger I also mostly load and shoot the Lee 90 gr SWC because it shoots so well and I have a 6 cavity mould for it. In the H&R Magnum I load it over 3.2 gr of Bullseye for 1025 fps. For magnum loads I use 2 GC moulds. The "heavy" is the 311316 which when cast very soft gives a 118 gr bullet fully dressed. I run it over 10.5 gr of H110 for right at 1200 fps. I HP'd with a 18" Forster HP tool it is a very deadly small game/personal defense load. However the best cast bullet for magnum loads in the Ruger .32 H&R is the discontinued bullet Lyman designed for this cartridge, the 313631. It is a GC'd SWC that when cast soft is a 105 gr SWC fully dressed. I use 6 gr of Unique under it in the magnum cases for 1360 fps out of the Ruger. That's about as "magnum" as I want to go. If I want .357 magnum performance then I switch to the .357 Magnum as does Bullshop. I use the .357 in my Ruger 6" barreled Security Six.

The .32s in the right size frame revolver do indeed make very nice "trail guns".

Larry Gibson

LouisianaMan
12-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Larry,
How soft do you cast the 311316, i.e. what alloy? I don't have that mold--I have a Lee .309 113g LFP--but I'm thinking if I cast it soft and/or HP it with my Forster tool, it might give me some real utility. (I may need to "beagle" the mold or perhaps I can boost the diameter by adding lead to my pure WWs. With WW, I'm getting about .308" on average, and many don't stabilize. Everything from .311-.314 is stabilizing.)

I welcome any thoughts! After reading posts on this and other forums, I went from having no use for .32s to being highly interested in them. I currently have a 30-1, 2" bbl. and a SP101 .327. Am getting a serious itch for something in 4" bbl., especially if I could get adjustable sights for the wide variety of cartridges & loads these guns can handle.

9.3X62AL
12-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Larry, I suspect a grip set like those you show on your Model 30 would make a Kit Gun or other J-frame quite usable for me. Nice set-up, sir.

Finally, at age 54, some maturity has dawned on my revolver acquisition tendencies. Bret and Buckshot, just stifle your selves a minute. Thank you. Still, just about any good-condition 32 caliber rollerpistol will at least draw my attention. The J-frame Smiths and D-frame Colts are kinda like red-haired girls and high fastballs during my youth--I can't do a thing right with any of them, and still can't stay away from them.

pmeisel
12-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Why are the Single Six 32s so expensive? (I know, because they're worth it...)

Really, why?

32HR MAG
12-19-2009, 11:53 PM
I have the 4 5/8" adjustable sight version and is ,for me the perfect packin pistol.It is accurate ,stronger than the cartridge needs,is easy to repair if it would ever be needed and it's mine.
Overall the single six is just a very good revolver,just like it's big brothers.

dualsport
12-20-2009, 04:15 AM
9.3, just add green eyes to that list and we're twins. I really like my J frame .357 and my wife's Detective Special. It seems I have a weakness for Ruger single actions too. When I saw that SSM for sale it was over before I ever touched it, I had to have it. As far as the prices go, I think it's just a matter of supply and demand.

Larry Gibson
12-20-2009, 01:43 PM
[QUOTE=LouisianaMan;751367]Larry,
How soft do you cast the 311316, i.e. what alloy? I don't have that mold--I have a Lee .309 113g LFP--but I'm thinking if I cast it soft and/or HP it with my Forster tool, it might give me some real utility.

For a number of years I've used recovered .22LR alloy. It has a small amount of antimony in it and expands well when HP'd at 1000-1300 fps out of the .32 Mag. Last batch I did I cast of 30/70 WW/lead and they seem to do just as well based on exit holes on jack rabbits. I imagine a 1-40 or 1-30 tin - lead alloy would do as well. With the GC and the generous lube grooves filled with Javelina leading is not a problem.

Larry Gibson

9.3X62AL
12-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Good to know, Larry. Now that the SP primer supply has been replenished, I'm going to do some venturing with the #313631 in the 32 Mag revo. It seems to shoot tighter as it's driven faster, and I'll incorporate some softer-alloy castings among the work.

dualsport
02-07-2010, 02:43 AM
GOT IT!! In #39 I announced my good luck finding a gun I've wanted for a very long time. Now only two months later it's home. A Ruger SSM 6 1/2", adj. sights, in like new shape! I'm on cloud nine. Snuck it in after my wife went to bed! She won't know the difference now, I have a Single Six convertible that looks just like it. Can't wait to shoot it, but tomorrow is Super Bowl Sunday, maybe I could run to the range real quick in the am. I also got a chamber adaptor for $8, Sportsmans Guide. Shoots .32 acp, .32 S&W Long, and .32 H&R Mag. in a 7.62x54R. Tried it, not bad at all. Thanks to many forum members here for helping me to find components and dies. By the way, there's a brand new Ruger .44 Special ($499) there....(and a Trapdoor 50-95 that's keeping me up nights)
EDIT: I plan on doing a side by side comparison with the Single Six .22 Magnum and the .32, accuracy and penetration. Also gonna throw in the .22 LR Aguila SS load, the one with the 60 gr. boolit. This is going to be fun.

sixshot
02-07-2010, 03:13 AM
My 6 1/2" 32 maggie does real well with 3 grs of WST & the 100 gr SWC, its proving to be a great load on cottontails, although they seem to hate it!

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/6shot_01/100_2268.jpg

Someone mentioned a 327 Ruger would be nice.....well they are, picked this one up yesterday, 8 shot, ran some test loads through it today & whacked a cottontail with it this afternoon with a 115 gr cast. Stainless & 5 1/2" barrel.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/6shot_01/100_2275.jpg

Dick

NHlever
02-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Nice shooting Sixshot, and nice pictures. I always look forward to your posts. I just found a Single Six SSM 4 5/8", and am just starting to work with it.

Dale53
02-07-2010, 12:15 PM
I just recently took pictures of my S&W Model 631 (.32 H&R Magnum):

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers4Selects-0330.jpg

Here is my Ruger SP101 with a Red Dot. There are many who will question my use of a Red Dot on this nice, compact .32 H&R Magnum 4" barreled field gun but I have vision problems and the Red Dot pretty much solves that problem for me. Further, the Ruger only has windage adjustments in the rear sight. It was not possible to zero it with any reasonable load I tried. It now zeros perfectly with any load I have run through it.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers5Selects-0261.jpg

Dale53

jtaylor1960
02-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Did you guys see Ruger is now making a Blackhawk in 327 Federal in yes an 8 shot cylinder?there is also a GP-100 in 7 shot.

NHlever
02-07-2010, 03:48 PM
I put a red dot on my 4" Security Six and like it better than I thought I would, but I never thought of putting one on the SP-101....... good idea, and it looks good too! Nice pictures Dale.

9.3X62AL
02-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Sixshot--

Nice pics--nice work--and THANK YOU for "representing" Boise State. REAL FOOTBALL. I think the glam boys and robber barons of the NFL will be unsettled by the yawns and disinterest in the upcoming labor strife they seem headed toward. With the Pac-10 and the Mountain West, the NFL is superfluous. And boring. I think the Florida area has a couple teams, too......and there are a few others scattered around the Southeast, IIRC. :)

Enough off-topic editorializing. HARRUMPH.

Have you been able to run down any 327 Federal brass?

Rodfac
02-08-2010, 12:42 AM
Great pics,. Dale...I've looked for a Smith 631 like yours for years...they just don't come up. Rodfac

Dale53
02-08-2010, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the kind words, fellows.

Rodfac - I don't believe I have seen one since they were originally on the market. The only reason I have one, is that after I bought a Single Six (nice 4 5/8" barreled adjustable sight model) I started hoping for an S&W (I LOVE Smith triggers) and almost before you know it there is was. I haunted several gun shows within a hundred miles or so. We had a couple of handgun dealers who always seemed to have the latest and best. Sure enough, I discovered the 631 and grabbed one. Then, shortly thereafter, a 6" 16-4 S&W showed up and I bought that one. A close friend fell in love with the Ruger and it went to him.

Later I added the Ruger SP101. I still have and shoot all three.

The 16-4 is my favorite. It shoots, too:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/SWMod16-432HRMag-9539.jpg

I have since replaced the scope with a Red Dot sight. It is more compact and better fits the purpose for this revolver.

This target was shot with the 16-4 at 25 yards, standing. This revolver is a very nice unit for edible small game hunting:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/SWMod16-432HRMag-9539.jpg

Dale53

Bullshop
02-08-2010, 01:06 AM
What did you have to give for the 631?

Dale53
02-08-2010, 01:12 AM
Bullshop;
The 631 was new and it was a discounted price. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 or so (maybe a bit less). This was MANY years ago when they first hit the market.

Dale53

UnderDawgAl
02-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Even though I'm not the OP, I want to thank y'all for posting all this load info.

Sixshot, great pictures! And nice grips on that 32 in the top photo.

I finally snagged a Ruger 32 H&R Magnum off Bud's Gun Shop tonight.

It's a 6-1/2"er. I have been patiently waiting for a nice, reasonably priced Ruger .32 Single Six for over a year, with no preference as to barrel length (Check that. No interest in the 9-1/2"er). I have been tempted by some on GB, but the prices would have been well over $500 after shipping and FFL.

Only other gun I've been waiting patiently for is a flattop 44 Special.

Finally, an overall thanks for the collective knowledge that y'all post here. I lurk much more than I post since I don't have the years of experience that many of you have.

340six
02-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Man I found this thread as have been looking at Ruger's for years now and may finnalu pul the trigger on one. Have to as what is a SSM? As looking for one at on line sites.
Have a 32 MP HP Brass Mold I was planing use with 7.62x25 but want a wheel gun in 32

dougader
02-01-2017, 09:42 PM
IIRC, SSM = Single Six Magnum, for the Single Six 32 H&R Magnum. Nice guns, as is the Single 7 in 327 Federal.

Mk42gunner
02-02-2017, 12:26 PM
340six, The Ruger SSM was the original run of adjustable sight Single Six .32 H&R's that Ruger made back in the 1980-90's.

The fixed sight versions came out when cowboy shooting got really popular and people started figuring they could shoot better with lighter loads than a full house .45 Colt.

Robert

6thtexas
02-02-2017, 06:36 PM
I am fortunate to own both a 4 5/8" Single Six in 32 H&R and a Buckeye Special. The Single Six is way and by far my favorite of the two. It normally eats a RCBS 98 SWC and 8.0 grains of 2400. I WOULD NOT run that load through a H&R but the Ruger is accurate with them and some of my brass is over 30 years old, had the stuffings shot out of it and is still good. IIRC Skelton wrote he was using 8.7 grains of 2400 with the same bullet. A lighter load I have started shooting is a 90 gr. WC with 2.5 gr. of Bullseye also in the .32 H&R case. It is accurate and shoots just a tad higher @ 25 yds.

I never seem to use the .32 H&R cylinder in the Buckeye and it doesn't get taken afield very often as it is heavy! I shoot the same load in it as I do my Marlin 1894CL. I use a RCBS 115 Gr. GC design and copious amounts of H110.

BTW bullets for both guns get sized .313"

Harry O
02-03-2017, 08:53 PM
As has been mentioned, the original Federal brass was brittle and Federal refused to sell cases alone at that time. Through the years I gathered up about 500 Federal cases (this was before Starline started making them). I used .32 Long cases a lot until I gathered up enough .32 Mag cases. Whenever a Federal Magnum case was first fired, I weeded out any with starting cracks and annealed the rest. A few would crack the next time, or the time after that, but very few cracked after that. I still have about half of them.

I have picked up a few hundred Starline cases at different times and places, but I found that they varied greatly in length (up to 0.040" over maximum length). Unfortunately, I found this out after mixing them in with correct length cases. I make a point of checking the length of everything I fire and weed out (and trim) the long ones. It is getting to be less of a problem. I don't hardly use .32 Long cases anymore.

When I first started out with the .32 Mag, I thought that it was not quite as accurate as the .32 Long. In later years, the accuracy of the .32 Mag has improved to match the .32 Long. I am pretty sure it was always accurate, but it just took a little while to get accurate loads and experience with the guns.

9.3X62AL
02-03-2017, 11:04 PM
The quirk I have noticed with the 32 H&R Magnum have more to do with the bullets used than other factors. The jacketed bullets have been uniformly accurate for me, though I haven't fired more than about 700 of them. RCBS mould 32-95-SWC shoots well from 700-1200 FPS. Lyman #313631 (SWC-GC) shoots poor-to-mediocre at lower velocities, but things tighten up at 1000 FPS and continue to improve to 1450 FPS, which is as fast as I have run the bullet from my S&W M-16-4 x 6".