PDA

View Full Version : Loose Lyman sprue plate

acder
10-24-2009, 06:56 PM
I just starting casting with my first lyman mold -the sprue plate is loose so that it wobbles-if I tighten the screw-it works loose again after a few casts- How can I adjust this so it stays put? Thanks!

stubshaft
10-24-2009, 07:01 PM
I am assuming that after you tighten down the sprue plate screw you are also tightening the lock screw that holds it in place.

Wayne Smith
10-24-2009, 07:37 PM
If you look on the side of the mold under the sprue plate screw you will see a set screw. This should tighten down either on the sprue plate screw diretly or on a piece of lead that does.

Tighten the sprue plate screw to the appropriate tightness and then tighten the set screw.

acder
10-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Overlooked the set screw!!! Thanks!

HeavyMetal
10-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Make sure you lube that screw pivot point with something like Antiseize or bullplate lube.

theperfessor
10-25-2009, 03:06 PM
For a long time Lyman used a hold down "spring" that was really a lock washer. This has sharp edges like all lock washers of this type and it will dig into your blocks and sprue plate. This tends to loosen the pivot screw and makes smooth operation difficult.

I just replace it with a stainless steel washer. Others use a wave washer or even a Belleville spring. All work better than the Lyman spring.

Haven't bought a new Lyman mold in a long time so I don't if they still use this horrible little item.