PDA

View Full Version : Loose checks

jtaylor1960
10-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Has anyone had any trouble with Lyman gas checks being loose? I have tried them on two different molds that previously had given me no trouble.The bullets are filled out well and diameters are correct on the bands.

1874Sharps
10-24-2009, 03:39 PM
I only buy the Hornady gas checks, but if I remember correctly from my reading, the Lyman checks are not made to stay on the shank of the bullet its entire flight, but are made to come off right out of the muzzle. That could explain why they are on the loose side.

Calamity Jake
10-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Super glue

stubshaft
10-24-2009, 07:12 PM
I only buy the Hornady gas checks, but if I remember correctly from my reading, the Lyman checks are not made to stay on the shank of the bullet its entire flight, but are made to come off right out of the muzzle. That could explain why they are on the loose side.

I have never been able to find ANYTHING that says/states that the Lyman check or any check for that matter is designed to seperate from the boolit in flight. I have recoverd hundreds of cast boolits from a variety of mediums and found very few that did not still have their checks attached.

Whether or not you use crimp on or slip on checks they should still be mechanically crimped in place by the rifling of the gun you shoot them out of.

Bret4207
10-27-2009, 07:58 AM
The old style Lyman didn;t crimp on the GC shank. It's not that they were designed to come off in flight, it's that some people claimed they COULD come off in flight. IIRC some guys here reported they've had it happen. I'm still using lots of the old grey and grey and black box Lyman GC's and have never had one come off that I know of.

The newer Lyman GC's are made by Hornady and are the same crimp on designs. If they are just loose, IOW- if you can turn them with finger pressure, it's no big deal as the ignition of the powder will push them into the base quite well.