PDA

View Full Version : WC820 & 410 shotshell load

Denver
10-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Here's a recipe I use for loading the WW compression formed 3 inch hulls. I use a Mec 600 Jr loader and have an adjustable charge bar. I found early on that using WC 820 in this setup left powder all over the bench as it's so small grained that it's all but impossible to keep it from getting out between the charge bar and the holder for the bar. I don't fill the powder bottle, I drop the powder from my RCBS powder measure after sizing and repriming the hull. So after resizing/depriming/repriming I drop 14.5 grs of 820 followed by a PC (Patern Control) shotcup and .7 oz of #9 shot. This leaves just enough room in the hull for a nice smooth crimp. I use 9s mostly because they flow thru the skinny shot tube without bridging as often as larger shot. They'll still do it occasionly, so I give the drop tube a little tap as I'm withdrawing it from the hull.
The .7 oz charge is very close to the 11/16 factory loads and only about a half dozen less pellets that a full 3/4 oz load. I've chronoed these loads at an average velocity of 1135 fps. I've also loaded the Remington and Federal hulls and find I have to drop a few more pellets to make the crimp come out right. I use the 3 inch hulls as that's what I have the loader set up for. I've also loaded the 2 1/2 in shells with these same components and 1/2 oz of shot but it's been some time since I loaded the shorter hulls and don't remember if I used a lighter powder charge or not. The powder may have to be adjusted down a little to make the crimp come out right.

smkummer
10-24-2009, 02:34 PM
If you look further down in page 3 of this section, I have a post about this load out of a AK type saga shotgun. Using AA hulls and the 3/4 charge bar, we have to use the brass bushing to keep the powder from getting everywhere but it works.