PDA

View Full Version : H & G moulds available

hammerhead357
10-23-2009, 10:40 PM
This is not a plug. It is just for anyone interested. There are several H & G moulds available over on flea-bay right now. There is one 503 44 Keith and one 38 Keith mould listed. Both are in 4 cavity.....Wes

captaint
10-24-2009, 12:09 AM
HH, Yes and wait till the auction is up Sunday to see what folks are paying for these things!! Couple of months ago, I saw a brand new, in the wrapper, H&G 68 4 cav. About 4 or 5 days BEFORE the auction was up, it just disappeared, went away!! Love to know what happened to that one!!! Enjoy Mike

Texasflyboy
10-24-2009, 01:01 AM
HH, Yes and wait till the auction is up Sunday to see what folks are paying for these things!! Couple of months ago, I saw a brand new, in the wrapper, H&G 68 4 cav. About 4 or 5 days BEFORE the auction was up, it just disappeared, went away!! Love to know what happened to that one!!! Enjoy Mike

If it was the plain base one, no mystery. I didn't ask him to pull the auction but he had asked me what it was worth and I gave him my best guess.

Out of the blue (I had no plans to bid) he emailed me and offered it for a fair amount. So, into the collection it went.

My opinion, free as always, I think Hensley & Gibbs mould values have peaked and will start to depress a bit. I think MiHec is partly responsible. Having a reasonable quality alternative always brings sanity to any market.

Tom

GSM
10-24-2009, 02:05 AM
Tom:

I hope you are correct on the price peaking - some have been a bit overboard lately (still trying to add to my collection).

BigCheese
10-24-2009, 03:43 AM
Who is MiHec?

Ctkelly
10-24-2009, 05:05 AM
MP-Molds (http://www.mp-molds.com/index.php?pr=Molds)

A member here who does custom molds/group buys. You can currently buy the HG 68 in a 6 gang aluminum mold from his website. I purchased one last week. Great alternative to trying to dig up an actual HG 68 mold and the price is reasonable.

Lumpie
10-24-2009, 08:45 AM
MP-Molds (http://www.mp-molds.com/index.php?pr=Molds)

A member here who does custom molds/group buys. You can currently buy the HG 68 in a 6 gang aluminum mold from his website. I purchased one last week. Great alternative to trying to dig up an actual HG 68 mold and the price is reasonable. Not intended as a dig. The difference will be like a 1949 VW and a Rolls Royce. The only thing aluminum is good for is beer cans. I have 31 H&g molds, and not one of them has any problems. The thing that you should look at is, y ou can spend a lot of money on on such things as Tv's and computers, but try to spend very little on a quality mold. With alum. In time they will distort, and you will have nothing. I have 6 H&G 68's, not bragging,they belonged to my late Father. They are both PB and Bevel. I am 66 years old now, and they were around when I was just a kid. I live in Okla. Next month there will be a gun show at Tulsa. There will be about 3000 tables there, and there is always a guy there that will 100-200 H&G molds. They will not be cheap, however &150.00 to $200.00 for a mold that will last longer than most folks do, it quite Furgal. I hope this is not taken as anything derogatory on my part. Just 55 years of casting. Lumpie

Ctkelly
10-24-2009, 05:28 PM
No offense taken and non meant to you with this reply. Its easy to say that when you inherit something rather than having to pay the high cost of used or the even higher cost of new. A new 6 gang mold from ballisti-cast will run you 300 dollars + cost of handles. Mihec is selling 6 gang 7075 aluminum molds for 100 shipped. Treat them right and dont overheat them and they will last plenty long.

Considering the way things are now, we may be lucky to even have lead for bullets in next 20 years (or guns for that matter). I rather save the money and invest in more lead now than have something that will last me 100 years with no lead available to use because its "dangerous".

I completely agree with you on HG molds being built to last a life time and no aluminum will probably not last as long. But there is a wide range of economics involved here at this forum....we have people that try to scrape by without spending a penny and on the other end you have guys that buy the very best of everything. I pick and choose my battles, for the HG 68 I want production now on the cheap so I can enjoy shooting now.