PDA

View Full Version : Garand

TCLouis
04-29-2006, 03:27 PM
Yes I know this has to have been covered here, but I don't know when/where.

I have some to feed now and would love to see if I could get them weaned and move on to do real BOOLITS, even if I have to make it a straight pull bolt action.

Any suggestions/links appreciated!

BruceB
04-29-2006, 07:28 PM
TC, pard;

Just go up to the toolbar and do a search for "Garand". There'll be quite a few threads where the Garand is not the main topic, but even casual mentions of things relating to the M1 can be interesting and educational.

I've found that my M1 rifle will function perfectly with around 35-37 grains of H- or IMR-4895 and a bullet in the 160-200-grain range. Even roundnoses like 311291 function very well, so you don't need a pointy boolit.

I am a great fan of the M1 and its progeny, like my M1A which is the subject of some handloading info I posted on the " Military Rifles-cast bullet loads" Board up above.

TCLouis
04-30-2006, 08:08 AM
I would love a M1A, but I have less in 3 Garands and besides I had never shot a Garand, let alone owned one before and so it seemed like the thing to do.
LouisB

Of course REAL military rifles have a bolt or a hammer!

BruceB
04-30-2006, 10:34 AM
TCL;

Everyone needs a Garand!

They are such a high-quality rifle that I don't believe their match is made today. Solid walnut and forged-steel parts....can't ask for better.

I think I'm on my fourth Garand now, as all the others went to people who offered me far too much money to turn down. My current M1 has a new GI barrel dated 1962 on a receiver made during the Korean War, and set into a new Boyd's stock.

If you'd like to see some truly gorgeous Garands, go to www.dgrguns.com
Check out the "package deals".