PDA

View Full Version : The rockchunker, great for rifle cartridges?

sheepdog
10-23-2009, 04:16 PM
I currently have a Lee turret which is great for pistol but not the best for rifle. I have the option of getting a RC for $65 in used but good condition which I'd use for rifle cartridges only or single step procedures. Should I get it or wait for something else?

beanflip
10-23-2009, 04:34 PM
jump on it thats a good deal

1hole
10-23-2009, 05:12 PM
" I have the option of getting a RC for $65 in used but good condition which I'd use for rifle cartridges only or single step procedures. "

I've had an RC II since 1989 or so. It's about as good as any in it's type class I guess, almost as good as a young friends Lee Classic Cast. Seriously.

dromia
10-23-2009, 05:21 PM
You need to ask?:kidding:

Its a steal, they are fine presses and that is a good price methinks.

If I had to have only one press it would be a toss up 'twixt The Rockchucker, the Ultramag and the Co-ax.

I'd hate to have to make the choice for real.

Shiloh
10-23-2009, 05:30 PM
It's a great deal!!

One can only guess how many hundreds of millions of rounds have been hand loaded using a Rockchucker press!! I have a RCBS press from the early 70's purchased at least third hand that is still going strong.

SHiloh

largom
10-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Got two Rockchuckers and would not part with them. My son-in-law has a Lee Classic cast and it is very impressive. $65.00 for a Rockchucker? Depends on the area. Around here they sell used at gun shows for $50.00 to $60.00.
Larry

dsmjon
10-23-2009, 06:50 PM
If you pass on it, let me know where I can get it!!!!!!! I love my rockchuker supreme.

Lead Fred
10-23-2009, 06:53 PM
For $50-65 Id buy a second one.

Cept my 1966 still works like new

Bullshop Junior
10-23-2009, 08:16 PM
good press. as good as good can get.

Throckmorton
10-23-2009, 10:05 PM
very good press,very good price !

jimkim
10-23-2009, 10:19 PM
I'd buy it in a minute for that, and I'm a Lee man.

timkelley
10-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Grab it!

9.3X62AL
10-23-2009, 11:43 PM
I'd snag it in one hot second. My Rockchucker is approaching 30 years of age, and is WITHOUT DOUBT the most durable, reliable reloading tool I own.

cajun shooter
10-24-2009, 08:31 AM
We see used Rockchuckers go for $85 and up in this area. I've used the same one since the 70's.

Beekeeper
10-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Gosh ,some of you realy make me feel old.
I still load with a RCBS Jr that I bought new in the early 60s.
Have had "0" problems with it and it has loaded about 25000 j word bullets over the years and traveled 1/2 million miles with me during that time.
I paid $20.00 for it new.
If you don't want the rockchucker let me know and I will take it if no one else gets it first

Jim

1hole
10-24-2009, 10:07 AM
"One can only guess how many hundreds of millions of rounds have been hand loaded using a Rockchucker press!! I have a RCBS press from the early 70's purchased at least third hand that is still going strong."

"My Rockchucker is approaching 30 years of age, and is WITHOUT DOUBT the most durable, reliable reloading tool I own. "

Shiloh/9.3x62, I fully agree, as you state it. But... perhaps the broader question is, is that service any different from any compairable press with the same level of use and care? And that answer is, IMHO, "NO."

I have a Lyman cast iron turrret from '65, it's still quite serviceable. It sits beside my twenty two year old RC, along with two twenty year old Lee "Reloader" presses, the real little ones, that I use for de- and re-capping. They are all going strong. In fact, in my 45 or so years of loading, I've never even seen a press "worn out" and those that are worn at all are due to user neglect. There is little side stress on a ram and the movements are quite slow so, if we keep the ram oiled and reasonable free of primer grit, any press will last a LOOONG time! But the RC design has remained largely static for all those years while others have improved, some by a LOT.

The Lee Classic Cast is in a class of it's own for great strength. It has a cast steel body, it's large enough to load .50 BMG, has a wear resistant (really large diameter) ram, a great fully adjustable lever design and excellant spent primer handling. And, unlike the current Chinese cast iron RC, it's all made in the USA while still costing much less!

Understand, my RC is okay, it's severed me well and I'm not tossing it out, but I have no blind loyalty to any inamimate object. If I had to replace the RC next week it WOULD BE with a Classic Cast!

jlchucker
10-24-2009, 10:25 AM
I started off with an RCBS Jr back in the very early '70's. Then I went to a Lyman Crusher, and finally a Lee Classic Cast. I've never owned a Rockchucker, but many, many, many of my friends do. Most are of a vintage when $65 was the price new for one. Nobody has ever had any problems with one of these. In fact, my RCBS junior (cast iron version) never had problems either. If I needed another single stage press, I'd grab that Rockchucker for $65 in a minute. It most likely works as well as the day the first owner bought it. That having been said, though, I'd never even consider another Lyman. The Lee Classic Cast is another great press, not to be confused by the Lee aluminum ones.

snowwolfe
10-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Owned a Rock Chucker since the 70's and like the others here think its one of the best presses made.
But it does have one short coming. If you think you will be doing a lot of loading for the long cartridges (those of .375 H&H length or longer) I would go with the Ammo Master 2 instead.
Still, if you have the room it would be good to have both presses so you could use the chucker on the smaller rounds.

canyon-ghost
10-24-2009, 07:33 PM
I use a Rockchucker, bought it used too. Excellent presses, can crush a thin case like the 22 Hornet or 32-20. Care must be taken with the smaller stuff, the Rockchucker is the diesel truck of presses.

6.5 mike
10-24-2009, 07:43 PM
I bought my RC as a kit in a navy exchange in '73, still going strong. I would not trade it for anything less. The only problem I ever had with an RCBS item was cured with a phone call, & I had worn the priming tool out, handle broke.
I did get one of the lee small presses for sizing, casting is done in the big workshop, loading in the small shop behind the house. Just saving steps.

GP100man
10-24-2009, 09:53 PM
I have 2 one a `73 model the other a `74 , both are aligned & titer than any i`ve tried made of lately!!

I do alot of my sizing on an Orange Crusher , it seems to have a slightly better mechanical advantage.

My dog, my wife, my children & my RC`s & Orange Crusher NEVER!!! in that order!!!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-26-2009, 08:42 PM
I used to own a Rock Chucker, but a Lee Classic Cast single stage pushed it off my bench. The Lee is an improved model of the RC.

Regards,

Dave

AZ-Stew
10-27-2009, 11:59 PM
I bought mine in 72 or 73. Paid (retail) $57 for the Rockchucker, a set of RCBS 30-06 small base dies, shell holder, 100 Speer .30 150gr RN bullets, 1lb 4064, 100 CCI primers, the Speer #8 manual and a Lyman powder scale.

I have a Dillon 550, but it's only used for pistol. The RC does all my rifle rounds and before I got the Dillon, it loaded tens of thousands (maybe a hundred thousand +) handgun rounds in .357, 41 Mag, .44 Mag and .45 ACP. I have no idea how many rounds have been through that workhorse, but I wouldn't trade it, unless for a newer Rockchucker.

Buy it.

Regards,

Stew

TAWILDCATT
11-01-2009, 06:36 PM
I have one on the custom RCBS wood stand with primer arms and tubes.I dont use it but my problem is I dont know how to pack it to ship.
I am interested in selling for a fair price.
any one interested PM me and offer.