PDA

View Full Version : Starting to see people bailing from reloading

sheepdog
10-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Now that ammo is starting to get cheaper but primers still high starting to see some newbies that got in around the time I did (election time) starting to jump ship and sell out.

Waiting for a barely used Dillon or Rockchunker to come around cheap. :-P

Anyone else starting to see the same?

mpmarty
10-23-2009, 02:24 PM
good luck:drinks:

Most of the newbies started out with a twenty dollar Lee "C" press.

jhrosier
10-23-2009, 02:39 PM
..Waiting for a barely used Dillon or Rockchunker to come around cheap. :-P..

Yep! I don't need one but a half price Dillon 650 could get my attention.

I'm still putting along with my trusty Lyman AA press. I guess that for the price of a new 650, I could just buy a flock of Lee Classic turret presses and be just as pleased.

Jack

thx997303
10-23-2009, 02:50 PM
I need one of those little c presses. Wanna use it for lee push through sizers.

nonferrous
10-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean about quitting. I quit in 1974, 1980, 1985, 1991, Etc.

"Just when I thought I was out, They pull me back in"!

Gerry N.
10-23-2009, 03:07 PM

When Lee put those on the market, they promo'd 'em for $9.95 for a while. I bought three of 'em. Should have bought thirty.

There's a Craigslist wannabe site in Seattle for guns and shooting gear. Some of the reloading stuff is starting to get interesting and primers that guys bought a few months ago to get rich on are starting to come down in price.

I'm still puttin' along with my 46 year old Pacific Super Deluxe press, and usin' my Lee C's for priming and push-thru sizing.

Gerry N.

Leftoverdj
10-23-2009, 03:18 PM

I would not be without one. They ain't much for serious reloading, but they are handy as a shirt pocket for light work. Mine is mounted on a board, and, with a couple of C clamps I can use it anywhere.

Besides sizing bullets, with a Lee AutoPrime II, it makes the best priming tool I have found,

Gerry, Lee GAVE them away for a while. If you bought a Lee Manual #1 after #2 came out, they threw in one of the little C presses.

jhrosier
10-23-2009, 03:27 PM
When Lee put those on the market, they promo'd 'em for $9.95 for a while. I bought three of 'em. Should have bought thirty...

Lee was giving them away free with the purchase of a die set for a while.
I had 4 or 5 but traded off all but 2.

BTW, I heard of one fellow that mounted one upside down to use with the boolit sizing dies. I thought that was pretty clever. Just drop a boolit in and raise the handle to size. That's got to be faster than perching the boolit on top of the little pin for us fumble fingered types. He rigged up a ramp to roll the boolits gently into a box.

Jack

sheepdog
10-23-2009, 04:24 PM
good luck:drinks:

Most of the newbies started out with a twenty dollar Lee "C" press.

You'd be surprise at how many people in these parts turn their noses up at Lee, even as starters, and went headfirst into a Dillion or a RCBS setup when 9mm went for $35 a box and now are counting up going "$2.25 + tax a box for primers, $5.25 + + tax a box for projectiles, plus I got to pickup and clean brass when I can get a box of federal brass cased for $9.89 at Walmart? Why did I get into this again?" :veryconfu

EMC45
10-23-2009, 04:39 PM
AWESOME. The fear mongering worked!! Hopefully some of the fine folks here will get some smoking deals! (Myself included!!) I got my Lee C Frame with a manual from Midway. The manual was cheaper to buy if you got it with the press than if you bought the book by itself.

Rocky Raab
10-23-2009, 04:55 PM
I have my little Lee set up on a board also. (great minds, huh?) I use it to pull bullets, push-through size and other light-duty jobs - especially when my regular press is in use doing real work.

I agree that the bloom is off the begonia for many would-be reloaders. It might indeed be a good time to start reading the classifieds in the local rag - or keep an eye on auction sites.

Shiloh
10-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Now that ammo is starting to get cheaper but primers still high starting to see some newbies that got in around the time I did (election time) starting to jump ship and sell out.

Nope.

I have had three people in the last 8 weeks or so ask me about reloading or boolit casting. How do they get started.

Shiloh

yondering
10-23-2009, 04:58 PM
There's a Craigslist wannabe site in Seattle for guns and shooting gear. Gerry N.

Gerry, what site is that? I'm north of seattle.

bcp477
10-23-2009, 05:02 PM
No doubt, there are many out there who will, after the paranoia blows over, throw their new handgun into a drawer and forget about it....or close out their new handloading "enterprise" (and sell off the equipment or dump it in the basement or garage)...... or put their new rifle in the back of the closet, etc. etc. etc. This is inevitable with any sort of "craze" or "fad". The only ones who will stick with it are those who have a measure of dedication to it. So, there certainly should be some good stuff to appear on the secondhand market.

Perhaps then, as a side benefit, it will be less crowded at my local range. In fact, that has already occurred..... lots of the newbees have now put 50, 100 or even 200 rounds through their brand spanking new SHTF pistol or rifle..... and decided that they are now "trained and ready" for whatever happens. No complaints from me..... I'm tired of dealing with them, anyway. (" Gee mister, what kind of rifle is that you're shootin'..... and what about them funny bullets..... looks like they got paper wrapped around 'em !? Ya better unwrap 'em before ya use 'em, next time, dontcha think ? " )
:roll:

As for myself, I'm just waiting for the primer and powder supply to "get back to normal" (though I expect the prices will never come back down).

fredj338
10-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Nope, I don't see ammo dropping much in price from it's highs & while primers are still scarce, they will become more & more available. I don't see how anyone can go back to factory ammo at min. twice the price of handloads.

jlucht01
10-24-2009, 12:00 AM

Me too. If anyone finds one let me know.. for around 10 to 15 bucks

Firebricker
10-24-2009, 12:42 AM
I thought the same thing after the Y2K madness abought generaters but the great deals never seemed to pop up. FB

10-24-2009, 12:44 AM
I see the primer auctions are getting very few if any bids, though the "Buy Now" prices have dropped drastically. That indicates, to me, that the hoarders are out of the marketplace and that availability has improved.

Also, I've noticed that ebay mould prices are starting to get more in line with what they should be, and that there are fewer listings. I can remember, last Summer, when there would be almost 200 Lyman moulds listed, now there are usually fewer than 80.

I've read that the gun manufacturers continue to post record sales growth and that the NICS checks are breaking records, too. People are still buying guns, which means that ammo prices will remain high.

Prince555
10-24-2009, 02:07 AM
How's the RCBS RS2 press do when used with the Lee push through sizers?

Thanks

kelbro
10-24-2009, 08:58 AM
How's the RCBS RS2 press do when used with the Lee push through sizers?

Thanks

That press works very well with anything but the heaviest, longest magnum rifle cartridges. Mine has loaded well over 100K rounds without a glitch.

EDK
10-24-2009, 11:00 AM
I have been able to get some small pistol primers lately at $31/1000....another shop wanted $34. BUT at least some were in stock for a change. Small rifle has been available, but little or no large pistol or large rifle on the shelves. GRAFS' is still not showing any primers in stock, but some selection of powders I want/need. The wife will be going up there in 10 days with a list.

I haven't seen a lot of presses or dies available and definitely not at "fire sale prices." The desirable moulds on eBay, etc are going for close to what they are listed for at Mid-South and other discounters; there have been a couple of used STAR luber/sizers, but they don't go cheap.

I must not go to the sites with the bargains.

:Fire::castmine::redneck:

rockrat
10-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Don't know if it had to do with people getting out of handloading, but I bought a box of stuff at the pawn shop two weeks ago. About 17 boxes of 22cal bullets, 2-7mm Nosler 140, 3 or 4 boxes of 6mm, couple of 6.5's and a new jug of VV160 and 3K primers for $300 out the door. Offerd $250, but wouldn't take it.
Oh, forgot, 350 fired .223 and about 1K sized/primed .223 cases

markinalpine
10-24-2009, 01:14 PM
And then Governator Dumb@$$ in C@lif*rnic@ti@ went and signed their ammo purchaser registration law. How are they going to stop straw man purchasing from out of state?
"Hey, cousin in (insert state name of your choice here, except CA). How about buying me 68 Lbs of (ammo of choice here), and sticking it in one of those flat rate boxes. Tell the Post Office clerk your shipping me some cast iron cookware."

Mark :mrgreen:
ps, ditto on the Lee Reloader. I have two I use for light duty utility jobs, or when I don't want to change a die in my single stage press, or when I need to add a step to the 4-hole turret press procedure, or etc.

10-24-2009, 10:44 PM
markinalpine,
Can't ship ammo via the USPS, it would have to go either UPS or Fed-Ex.

Your idea would work, I image.

EDK,
I agree, ebay's used moulds are still priced too high, but are much lower than they were last Summer. I remember seeing any number of two-cavity Lymans selling for over $100. I was able to sell a well-used 429244 for close to $50.

vincewarde
10-24-2009, 10:50 PM
And then Goernator Dumb@$$ in C@lif*rnic@ti@ went and signed their ammo purchaser registration law. How are they going to stop straw man purchasing from out of state?
"Hey, cousin in (insert state name of your choice here, except CA). How about buying me 68 Lbs of (ammo of choice here), and sticking it in one of those flat rate boxes. Tell the Post Office clerk your shipping me some cast iron cookware."

Or if you are reasonably close to the NV line, just drive there a couple of times a year and buy all you need...... that's what the wife and I are planning to do.

tommygirlMT
10-24-2009, 11:11 PM
<snip>

" Gee mister, what kind of rifle is that you're shootin'..... and what about them funny bullets..... looks like they got paper wrapped around 'em !? Ya better unwrap 'em before ya use 'em, next time, dontcha think ?

<snip>

[smilie=l: :-) I imagine it wasn't funny at the time but it's darn funny to me reading it.

sniper
10-24-2009, 11:39 PM
The prices locally are not coming down...yet. We have sort of a mindset in my state that everything needs to make a usurious profit, and anybody who suggests otherwise is just not "with it".

I was selling a pistol years ago, and some peckerwood called me, and when I told him the price, which was reasonable, he offered a ridiculously low amount. When I told him no, he said "WELL, it'a my money!"

There seems to be a tribal memory at work, here. Buy it, use it, and then sell it for more than you paid for it.

The prices I have seen for primers locally are store prices includng sales tax. They seem to think they are doing you a favor by letting you spend your money with them.

Buuuuut...that will change about the first of the year. :wink:

Anyhoo, I bought some primers, brass and bullets ahead, and have enough...if I don't get really wild. :cool:

buck1
10-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Prices are still too high on components. Metal prices went down but the cost of brass shells, jbullets,primers,powder are still nuts. If the MFGs & shops are not carefull, they will price themselves out of bussiness. My $.02....Buck

angus6
10-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Prices are still too high on components. Metal prices went down but the cost of brass shells, jbullets,primers,powder are still nuts. If the MFGs & shops are not carefull, they will price themselves out of bussiness. My $.02....Buck

Check out the LME and you'll find copper and lead have doubled since February:sad::cry:

Cadillo
10-25-2009, 09:40 PM
I went to the local gunshow yesterday, and as I was leaving a guy was walking in with a case of 5000 WW small pistol primers that he wanted to move. The best he would do was $35.00 per mil, which I took him up on. No haz-mat, shipping etc., just $35.00 per mil.

I haven't seen WW pistol primers since last January, and the ammo vendors at the show were getting $46.00 to $65.00 per mil for the other brands. For whatever reason the WW primers, both lg and sm just run smoother in my 550B's than any other type, so I'm happy that I got enough to hold me for a few months at least.

Now if I can just figure out how to rig a bullet trap to recover and recycle my lead bullets...........

fredj338
10-26-2009, 01:03 AM
I went to the local gunshow yesterday, and as I was leaving a guy was walking in with a case of 5000 WW small pistol primers that he wanted to move. The best he would do was $35.00 per mil, which I took him up on. No haz-mat, shipping etc., just $35.00 per mil.

I haven't seen WW pistol primers since last January, and the ammo vendors at the show were getting $46.00 to $65.00 per mil for the other brands. For whatever reason the WW primers, both lg and sm just run smoother in my 550B's than any other type, so I'm happy that I got enough to hold me for a few months at least.

Now if I can just figure out how to rig a bullet trap to recover and recycle my lead bullets...........

Ha, that is just called a dirt berm.;) My buddy has mined about 700# of alloy from our clubs pistol range just taking stuff off the top. There must be 20yrs of lead bullets in that berm. I am going to go at it this winter & see if I can get 500# or so.

Cadillo
12-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Ha, that is just called a dirt berm.;) My buddy has mined about 700# of alloy from our clubs pistol range just taking stuff off the top. There must be 20yrs of lead bullets in that berm. I am going to go at it this winter & see if I can get 500# or so.

I would love to, but that would be grounds for expulsion from our club. Just setting foot on one of our new berms/backstops which they just bumped up to twenty feet this summer would be a closing act. I would surely be mining, though, if I owned a place big enough to shoot on.
:(

Jayhem
12-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Bailing out?

I'm reloading 50 rounds of .40 S&W for $2.75 a box since my lead boolits I cast are essentially free and it only takes 4.2 gr of titegroup for a good target round. The cheapest target ammo I can find locally in this caliber s still around $19.00 a box! I consider over 650% savings pretty significant and prompts me to keep reloading.

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-29-2009, 10:21 AM

Per "Mil"! You must have a few to share!

Don't you mean "Thou"

I just bought a thousand WW LP for $33 plus Tax ($3.00)

Boolit trap ideas - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26627&page=7

[smilie=s:

blaster
12-29-2009, 10:40 AM
"Mil" and "Thou" are actually equivilant measures but they stand for 0.001".

BruceB
12-29-2009, 11:03 AM
The common usage for quantities of brass, bullets or primers is based on the Roman system of numbering.

Hence we see prices quoted as, for instance:

$18/C ($18/100), or

$140/M ($140 per thousand) or

$195/5M ($195 per five thousand)

This is the first time I've encountered "mil" in this useage.

c3d4b2
12-29-2009, 11:14 AM
I have seen the C and M used before in relation to purchasing military brass.

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Well . . .I must have been out of the loop . . . "mil" to me meant "million"!

Always something to learn . . .

lwknight
12-29-2009, 12:55 PM
You are out of the loop. million is a meg and billion is gig

Jumping Frog
12-29-2009, 01:41 PM

Me too. If anyone finds one let me know.. for around 10 to 15 bucks

Best deal out there is the Lee Anniversary Kit (http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1262108215.774=/html/catalog/rlpress2.html#LeeAnniversaryPack), part # 90700. It includes both the Lee Modern Reloading Book and the Reloader "C" Press for about $20.

Since Wideners (http://www.wideners.com/) sells the book for $14, you are getting the press for $6.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=6536&dir=

mpmarty
12-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Last purchase of primers was for 30M (yup thirty thousand) Wolf LP and I paid Grafs $85.00 per 5000 case plus about five bucks shipping and handling for the whole six cases.

Nate1778
12-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Last purchase of primers was for 30M (yup thirty thousand) Wolf LP and I paid Grafs $85.00 per 5000 case plus about five bucks shipping and handling for the whole six cases.

I don't know which one shows how long ago that was more, the price, or fact you got primers from Grafs..............:grin:

Cadillo
12-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Per "Mil"! You must have a few to share!

Don't you mean "Thou"

I just bought a thousand WW LP for $33 plus Tax ($3.00)

Boolit trap ideas - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26627&page=7

[smilie=s:

No!
I recommend that you obtain and put to use a dictionary. Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th Edition shows several uses for "mil" in the English language. In order they are:

(1) Thousand
(2) A monetary unit once used in Cypress
(3) A unit of length equal to one one thousanth of an inch
(4) A unit of angular measurement equal to 1/6400 of 360 degrees

"There is no one who is totally useless, you can always serve as a bad example"

- Ira Stonebender -
[smilie=b:

Lead Fred
12-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Even with the high cost of primers (which are dropping)

reloading will always be cheaper than buying store bought.

But the reason I reload is I can make higher quality ammo than any custom or store bought ammo in the world.

Which custom fits the firearm I make it for.

One size dont fit all

Jayhem
12-29-2009, 02:56 PM
It seems to me that handgun reloading results in the most cost savings currently. I remember just 10 years ago when I started into handguns I could buy boxes of .40S&W for $7! Now the same box is $19.50...on sale!

340six
12-29-2009, 05:12 PM

Good luck I have had the same press since age 17 or so But I am sure some will sell.
I personaly find that most used stuff is sold not to get out of the hobby but to go deeper into it with better more $$ tools.

rhead
12-29-2009, 06:51 PM
I have recently picked up two rockcuckers at two different garage sales both for $15 each. An older spartan showed up for $5. No Dillions so far.

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-29-2009, 07:42 PM
No!
I recommend that you obtain and put to use a dictionary. Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th Edition shows several uses for "mil" in the English language. In order they are:

(1) Thousand
(2) A monetary unit once used in Cypress
(3) A unit of length equal to one one thousanth of an inch
(4) A unit of angular measurement equal to 1/6400 of 360 degrees

"There is no one who is totally useless, you can always serve as a bad example"

- Ira Stonebender -
[smilie=b:

Like I said in post #38 I am able to learn new things . . . Once everything is learned, then what?

Interestingly I found at Webster's Online Dictionary at http://m-w.com/dictionary/mil that:
Main Entry: 1mil
Pronunciation: \ˈmil\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin mille thousand
Date: 1721
1 : thousand <found a salinity of 38.4 per mil>
2 : a monetary unit formerly used in Cyprus equal to 1⁄1000 pound
3 : a unit of length equal to 1⁄1000 inch used especially in measuring thickness (as of plastic films)
4 : a unit of angular measurement equal to 1⁄6400 of 360 degrees and used especially in artillery

So . . . I went and got my trusty old:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/mill.jpg

And what do you know, but I found:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/mill005.jpg

So, yes, mil (or mill) can mean one thousand.

But . . . just for fun . . . I decided to look up:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/mill006.jpg

Notice the Latin word is the same? (Mille) Huh, I guess I must have actually remembered something from my Latin class 30 years ago . . .

So . . . please tell me what does "your a peach (with a thumbs down mean)"? I can't find that anywhere in Webster's Dictionary . . .

[smilie=s:

Kskybroom
12-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Ive been lookin for a cheap press to my herters is showing sighs of needing service......

Cadillo
12-29-2009, 08:59 PM
So . . . please tell me what does "your a peach (with a thumbs down mean)"? I can't find that anywhere in Webster's Dictionary . . .

[smilie=s:

The same dictionary that I cited above defines "Peach" as:
(1) A fruit tree originated in China
(2) A moderate yelowish pink
(3) One resembling a peach (as in sweetness, beauty, or excellence)

In your case I referred to #3. This is known as sarcasm. Since your dictionary does not contain a definition for "Peach", it will most likely not mention a word as lengthy as sarcasm.

Also, please do not attempt to quote me using your misspellings.

I recommend that you obtain another more advanced level dictionary and hone your English language skills off line prior to starting a battle of wits.

"Its what you learn after you know it all that counts." Harry Truman [smilie=b:

AZ-Stew
12-29-2009, 09:09 PM
But the reason I reload is I can make higher quality ammo than any custom or store bought ammo in the world.

I don't know that I can make HIGHER quality ammo than the factories, but mine's at least as good. In addition, I have my choice of boolits or bullets which I can tailor for the job at hand. And I can do it for FAR less $$ than I can factory ammo. If someone's loading Berger 70gr VLDs in .223 or Barnes Varmint Grenade or MPG bullets in .223 or .22-250, please let me know. Also, if you happen to find such loadings, please post the price.

No one is offering a factory 210gr lead SWC in .41 Magnum loaded to 900fps. I can make my own.

That's the advantage to handloading. You can make what you can't buy at any price.

Regards,

Stew

lwknight
12-29-2009, 10:46 PM
It all only matters to what is written on the order form.
CT=carton of 5000
Mil=1000
Pk=100
Carton of 5k sometimes called a "Case"

Marlin Hunter
12-29-2009, 11:09 PM
It seems to me that handgun reloading results in the most cost savings currently. I remember just 10 years ago when I started into handguns I could buy boxes of .40S&W for $7! Now the same box is $19.50...on sale!

Same with 45 ACP. It use to be $7 a box of 50 230gr FMJ. Now it's $25 [smilie=b:

I use to get a box of 20 223 for $2.50.

Idahoshooter
12-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Most hunters and self defense only gun owners dont need to reload...they can shoot enough to sight in their rifle or practice with their self defense pistol using factory ammo..might be expensive but they dont shoot thousands of rounds per year. Guys like me (and most of you i suspect) cant afford our hobbies without reloading. I shoot for the joy of shooting..not just with a utilitarian end in mind. Also what got me into casting is the desire to shoot hundreds of thousands of rounds through my prized guns without wearing them out tommorow. Light charges and lead boolits exhibit almost no wear on modern firearms.

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-30-2009, 09:11 AM
lots of good ideas!

cajun shooter
12-30-2009, 09:58 AM
I have to laugh every time I hear someone say that reloading saves money. I will say just the opposite and say that any money saved is spent in buying more powder, primers, bullets and yes more guns which leads to spending more money for dies, powder, primers, presses, scales and bullet molds. It's a thing that we all do if one is so disposed to like the shooting sports. Back when I first started to reload it was so that I could put together something better than the 38 spl 158 gr RN lead ammo that was sold at all stores. I was working in a full service gun store and it was like being in a big candy store. Even though my pay was about $175 a week store bought ammo was only $5.00 a box or less on sale. Primers were $6.00 a thousand and Bullseye was around $3.00 a can. A lot of people who started to load because of the Chicken Little Rumors will indeed quit. A lot of people who are just like many of us will stay with the new found hobby and continue to grow old and happy.

acl864
12-30-2009, 10:13 AM
I picked up a Rock Chucker from the consignment shelf of the local reloading shop. It looked brand new and I paid $60. I figured it was from someone who bought it then lost interest. I didn't really need it but for 1/2 price I couldn't resist. Plus the owner of the shop is a buddy and he was wanting it sold. He had brand new Rock Chuckers on the shelf for $129.

TAWILDCATT
12-30-2009, 03:15 PM
I have the reloader press also and use it to pull bullets with the hornady lever puller.also to size bullets with the lee sizer.with 15 presses and several tong tools,I may have enuf.note the may.I dont know how mucch longer I will be aroun but I will be shooting the day I go. :coffee:thats to mount presses and ect