PDA

View Full Version : Can I USE THIS?

jtlittle
10-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Found lots of lead pipe. It is 95.2%lead and 4.8% antimony. I am new to smelting,would this be good to start with? What would I need to add for bullet casting? Any help is appreciated and thanks for your time.

454PB
10-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, add about 2% tin and you'll have an excellent alloy!

AJ Peacock
10-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Found lots of lead pipe. It is 95.2%lead and 4.8% antimony. I am new to smelting,would this be good to start with? What would I need to add for bullet casting? Any help is appreciated and thanks for your time.

Nope, but I can :kidding:

It will work great, depending upon what you are casting, you may need to add a bit of tin. Also, if you are casting something that needs soft lead, you may need to cut it with some pure or trade it.

How do you know it's composition?

AJ

ph4570
10-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Good find! It will be good with a bit of tin to help fill-out in mold.

If you have more than you need I am sure there would be interested buyers here.

Gunslinger
10-23-2009, 02:03 PM
If you ad an additional 5% tin, you end up with Lyman #2, or close to it. I'm not a mathematician so can't tell you EXACTLY what to add in order to get 90% lead 5% lino and 5% tin. But you are already pretty close.

I must confess that I have never used Lyman #2, but it is allegedly a very good all allround alloy that casts beautyfully.

That is what I would do, without a doubt.

jtlittle
10-23-2009, 03:03 PM
What would you guys expect to pay per lb. for this pipe? I do not have a free source and this guy has lots.

AJ Peacock
10-23-2009, 03:17 PM
What would you guys expect to pay per lb. for this pipe? I do not have a free source and this guy has lots.

I'd personally call the recyclers in the area and see what they'd pay, and also what they'd sell it for. I'd give the guy up to 5-10 cents more/lb than the recycler would.

AJ

mold maker
10-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Why offer more than the recyclers pay???? Your already saving him hauling it to the scrappier. Even the scrappier has to transport it to the reclaimer. If anything add a 6 pack or a pizza if he'll call ya when he gets more.
Remember your buying lots of lead oxide and crud along with the usable lead.