PDA

View Full Version : 410 for deer?

legend
10-23-2009, 03:06 AM
anyone know if a 410 is legal to hunt deer in wyoming?

thanks

dk17hmr
10-23-2009, 08:12 AM
If you need to borrow something let me know I have some rifles that will kill deer and dont recoil to much. I havent even looked at the regs but I do know they work one Michigan deer, my grandpa used one for 20 some years.

woody1
10-23-2009, 07:52 PM
anyone know if a 410 is legal to hunt deer in wyoming?

thanks
From Wyoming Game and Fish Department:

Q. Can I use a shotgun to hunt deer?

A. You can use a shotgun provided the ammunition you are using is a shotgun slug. Firearms legal for big or trophy game hunting must have a barrel bore diameter of at least .23 of an inch and chambered to fire a centerfire cartridge at least two inches long including a soft or expanding point bullet seated to a normal depth. Shotguns fit these categories as to bore diameter and cartridge length, but are legal only if a single projectile is used. The law stipulates that the cartridge must include a soft or expanding point bullet. A shotgun slug would qualify here but buckshot loads would not since shells loaded with buckshot involve the use of multiple projectiles.
Check it out ---> http://gf.state.wy.us/support/faq/index.asp?faqid=1#13

Regards, Woody

legend
10-24-2009, 03:38 AM
Woody1,thanks,i knew they would be lethal at short range;however i did not know if LEGAL in wyoming.

my local gunshop tells people they are not.. and i said i would ask.

thank you.

anachronism
10-24-2009, 12:36 PM
They're only in the .357 mag power range. Don't you have anything bigger?

TooManyMisses
10-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Look at the 38-55 for comparison , its a big slow chunk of lead traveling about 1400 fps that has killed lots of deer but you need to be very aware of distance and shot placement.
The lead .410 is a little bigger at .41 calibre instead of .375 so like Elmer Keith or some other old timer once said "You can eat right up to the hole".

TMM