PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with crimp die

BSkerj
10-22-2009, 11:43 PM
I am currently using a Hornaday 38/357 set of dies. I have been using these for about a year. First time I used Hornaday for reloading and have not had any problems up until last night. I did 150 rds ...but when it came time to crimp the cases the die would not release the case smoothly . Anyone have this problem?Should I purchase another set of dies? The cases I was using were used nickel. I was wondering if this may have been part of the problem. Seems like the brass are alot better to work with. I may have put to much bell on the cases. Don't know if that matters or not.
Any and all suggestions welcome..thanks in advance!!

Slow Elk 45/70
10-23-2009, 02:00 AM
Hornady makes excelent dies, I would look at your Belling, maybe over done and causing a problem with the crimp....Just an idea , have never had a problem like this, all though you don't give much info to work from. The dies should not be your problem...I'm sure others may have better info..

cheese1566
10-23-2009, 08:24 AM
Cast boolits with lube? cast w/alox? jacketed?

Try looking into the bottom of the crimp die. I suspect a building of lube. Try giving it a cleaning, may have to disassemble though for a thorough job and remove the "gunk".

Throckmorton
10-23-2009, 10:41 AM
yep,most likely lube build up,using a seperate die for crimping is the way I go these days.

atr
10-23-2009, 11:06 AM
yes nickel does "work" differently than brass, but I have found that good cleaning to remove built-up lube is important.....I use WD40 as it works great on even the heaviest lubricant...

and I agree with Throckmorton,,,I use a separate die for crimping

finally...if the cases are not all the same length the crimp will not be uniform and might also be part of you difficulity....

runfiverun
10-23-2009, 12:23 PM
back the crimp die out all you wanna feel is a slight bump.
just restart the crimp process over again.
seat the boolit first then back out the seating stem.
then raise the loaded round up and screw the die down till you feel it touch the case.
then lower the case and put @ an eighth turn on the die, you will feel it bump the case.
now look at the crimp if it's rolled over thats about all you need.
now put the crimped case back in the die and lower the seating stem to toch the boolit.
now on the next one you will see your final adjustment needed to the seating stem.
if other cases behind this start acting up you have different case lengths.

BSkerj
10-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks guys, just did all of the above with a couple of dummy loads and seems to be working great....the die was pretty gummed up. I think I put to much bell on the shell to begin with. I was wondering that when I first started to bell them. Now I just belled enough to hold the boolit in by itself when I turned it over...River, I was putting to much crimp on the shell. I was using a top end load and wanted to make sure I had a secure crimp.. I took your advice with feeling the roll, tomorrow I'll go live.Thanks again all !