PDA

View Full Version : I finally got a pair !

watkibe
10-22-2009, 09:43 PM
A year ago I got my 44 mag 50th anniversary Blackhawk. I have really enjoyed it. At that time I had no desire for a pair of anniversary models. They came in a
6 1/2" 44 and in a 4 5/8" 357. I am moving soon to a rural area where I will be able to carry openly more of the time, and I have been thinking about a 4" DA 357 revolver to supplement my 3" SP101. Then it struck me - I need the rest of the
50th anniversary pair !
I have been looking, and found a like-new used one today that followed me home ! Yeehaw !
I guess I should add that the actual golden 50th Anniversary roll mark really doesn't do a thing for me. I don't go for manufactured collectibles usually; they seem to me like Franklin Mint guns, designed to just get your money. These are different. The combination of the XR3 grip frame, the flattop frame, the black grips, and the pawl that goes both ways all add up to a pair of guns that fit my hands and do things just the way I like, while looking good.

I also bought a 10/22 yesterday without realizing that today is 10/22, haha, so I had to get the Blackhawk today to make up for that !

geargnasher
10-22-2009, 09:50 PM
funny, I was looking at the 10/22 barrel section of the current Midway catalogue at lunch today, a coworker pointed out the date.

What will you buy for Halloween? :kidding:

Gear

exile
10-23-2009, 12:38 AM
I have been looking at a 50th Anniversary .44 flatop lately. Sounds like you like yours. How are they with full power .44 loads? I would probably shoot mostly .44 special loads through one, but I am curious about the recoil with the aluminum frame and full-house loads.

I had been thinking about buying a 1911 but I enjoy shooting .44 specials so much I might buy the flatop instead.

Do you have any intentions of shooting a deer with yours?

I have also thought about the .44 special flatop, but to me that frame is too small. I like the larger framed gun.

exile

txbirdman
10-23-2009, 10:11 AM
The 50th Anniversary has a steel frame instead of the original aluminum. I bought one last year and plan on taking a deer with it this season. The grips are too small for my hands so I acquired a Pacmayr grip for a Colt SAA, redrilled the frame stud holes in the grips and now have something that fits my hands while cushoning recoil. I've had SBhawks and can tell no real difference in recoil. Overall I like the Blackhawk much better mostly due to the grip frame but that "flat top" design is growing on me.

txpete
10-23-2009, 11:37 AM
I also bought one this year and love it.I have small hands and the factory grips are just fine.
the best load so far is the 429421 .429 16.0 grs 2400 win 44 mag brass win lg pistol primer
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/ruger44005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/ruger44002.jpg

txbirdman congrats on that pair of rugers!!

exile
10-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the info. You are right, the new anniversary models have a steel frame. I have never owned either, but I think the super blackhawk frame is a better fit for my hand as well. Still, I like the flattop so much I may buy one.

What bullet do you plan to use to take your deer?

Thanks,

exile

exile
10-23-2009, 11:46 AM
txpete,

Is that a regular large pistol primer or magnum? The reason I ask is I do have plenty of large pistol primers, but no large magnum pistol primers? Thanks.

exile

txbirdman
10-23-2009, 12:05 PM
I wasn't clear with my statement. I actually prefer the 50th Anniversary grip frame over the SBH (especially the square backed one). Txpete, I'm using that same bullet from a square lube groove 4 cavity I bought after acquiring the revolver. I'm using 10 gr. of Unique (1125 fps) which is shooting 1.5" at 25 yds. BTW I like your grips. Did you buy them off the Ruger website?

txpete
10-23-2009, 12:28 PM
I use standard primers in the load above.they work just fine.

the grips were on the gun when I bought it.it was used but NIB so I can't say if he changed them out or not.never did understand people buying guns and not shooting them.

I bought a holster off the ruger site for pig hunting.these are 38.00 a good holster for the money.

pete

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/DSCF2392.jpg

Dale53
10-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Watkibe;
You have made an excellent choice of handguns (as you already are aware of).

I bought my 50th Anniversary Flattop .44 Magnum while waiting on my Ruger .44 Lipsey Special (5½"). I now have both. Both are really good shooters (they both beat the magic inch at 25 yards). The grips are WAY too small for me but a pair of Colt SAA Pachmayr grips solve that for me.

The original .44 mag flattop with the aluminum grip frame was so light that it was punishing, to most of the people who owned one, when shot with full .44 Magnum loads. The heavier steel grip frame helps this a LOT. Add a set of Packmayr's and it becomes a quite practical big bore hunting revolver.

The cylinder throats of both of my Flattops are CORRECT (more than I can say about my new Ruger SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible) and they are also a HANDSOME PAIR.

My constant use loads are quite a bit lighter than what is possible.

In the .44 Special, my favorite load is the Skeeter load of 7.5 grs of Unique behind a 250 gr Keith bullet (H&G #503). However, I have been experimenting with a lighter target load of 4.1grs (now raised the 4.5 grs) of Clays) behind the Keith Bullet.

In the .44 Magnum I will be shooting 9.0-10.0 grs of Unique.

I have recently been in my powder locker (shooting up partial cans of old powder to help in somewhat reducing the clutter). I discovered a caddy of AL-8 that has been sitting there for many, many years. I will get to that shortly. It had a great reputation for excellent accuracy "back in the day".

Dale53

montana_charlie
10-23-2009, 01:07 PM
I am moving soon to a rural area where I will be able to carry openly more of the time,
Then it struck me - I need the rest of the 50th anniversary pair !
I have been looking, and found a like-new used one today that followed me home ! Yeehaw !
And now, (yeehaw) you will be able to openly carry two .44 Magnums in a double rig.

While it's true that there are fewer people (in rural settings) to be impressed by openly carried hardware, those who see you will be doubly impressed.
CM

txbirdman
10-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Txpete,

Nice holster. I bought a Bianchi Lawman,that I like, from somebody on this forum but will probably pickup a "crossdraw" if I decide to hunt quite abit with the .44.