PDA

View Full Version : Halfway There

jim4065
10-22-2009, 07:43 PM
I've been wanting a cabinet for about a year now. Finally got off my butt and started putting some scrap materials together. The metal tabletop is off an old kitchen table which SWMBO gave me 'cause "you've already ruined it anyway". This is all upstairs in the barn - the vent goes outside and pollutes the Earth. The whole cabinet is suspended over the stairwell.

Tried to take a couple of shots of the fans, but they didn't turn out well. The fans move a lot of air - should exhaust fluxing fumes well. The main clear plastic window has a lower edge which fits between my chin and shoulders, leaving lots of room inside the hood for the stomach and arms. The "upper" window was suggested by mdi - really simple once I found the old sheet of plastic. Don't know where to put the new PID box - maybe on top. Overall width is 38.5", and I wish there was more room. Still, I can only work with one pot at a time.

The "feeder" pot was going to be mounted on the back wall (like Patrick L), but it seemed to be somewhat inflexible that way. I dunno - not very happy with the cobbled up mess I've got inside the cabinet. Hoping to spend some time building mold racks on both sides of the cabinet - and I'm thinking of a tall stool for when I get tired of standing. Wish some more pictures of other cabinets would be posted - I need ideas!

docone31
10-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Do you have a 10lb going into a 20lb?
Looks cool.

dragonrider
10-22-2009, 08:37 PM
I don't have a cabinet, I cast in my garage, but I mounted my leads pots on a sta nd the pretty much the same manner, keeps the main casting pot hot with no warm up times.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/Lee%20fix/IMG_0109.jpg

jim4065
10-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Ya know dragonrider, I like that layout better than mine. Thought I'd have more side-to-side room than how it ended up............

Putting them both on a single pad would make it easier to slide the whole mess around in the cabinet in order to bring whatever I'm working on front and center.

Gotta figure out how to mount the TC for the lower pot. The upper is just a staging area, so it will be happy with the Lee control.

jim4065
11-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Ran out of labels, but most of 'em are done. If anyone is interested, the labels are an Avery 6879 - 12 per sheet - the size is just about perfect for the Lee 6 cavity box. Although the labels say they're for a color laser, I printed with a common Ink Jet, which did just fine (but I let 'em dry for 20 minutes).

TAWILDCATT
11-02-2009, 04:52 PM
my lee boxes have imprint on them.but thats still a nice set up.

jim4065
11-03-2009, 02:10 PM
my lee boxes have imprint on them.but thats still a nice set up.

Thank you. The reason for the labels is because Lee doesn't label the Group Buy boxes. I took another shot that's closer...............

WHITETAIL
11-08-2009, 09:19 AM
:Fire:jim, nice job.

Rockydog
11-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Jim, Very nice. Now I think I've got a new project. RD