PDA

View Full Version : Marble's Improved Tang Sights

Dragoon 45
10-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Due to age and eyesight, my two Marlin Levers, 1894CB Ltd and 1895CB, now have Marble's Improved Tang Sights mounted on them. I could not see the front sight using the semi-buckhorn rear sight and needless to say accuracy suffered.

I had the new sights mounted and took them to the range earlier this week, and boy was there a huge difference. Off sandbags, the 1894 in .45 Colt was holding a group of a little over 1 inch at 50 yds with factory loads. The 1895 had three rounds touching at 100 yds using a load of 32 grns of 5744 and 405 grn cast RNFP. Have not chronographed this load yet, but the book says is should be good to about 1500fps.

I would highly recommend these Marble's tang sights to anyone having trouble with the semi-buckhorn ones.

NickSS
10-22-2009, 09:33 PM
I can add a plus to that recommendation with one acceptation. The marbles tang sight because of the distance the bolt come to the rear is mounted way to the rear of the tang. It gets in the way of grabbing the rifle stock as it blocks your thumb and you have to lay your thumb along the stock. I took my tang sight off and installed aWwiliams receiver sight instead and like it more. You only need the tang sight if you are shooting cowboy. I love the Marbles sight on a 94 winchester as it sits further forward and you can grab the stock.

cajun shooter
10-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Will disagree with you on this one Nick. The Marbles is also great for hunting and the grip is not a problem for all people. I have the Marbles on 4 lever guns and love it. Dragoon 45 you might want to also look at a front sight called the Grabber that is made and sold by a Cowboy Shooter called Manatee. They sell for around $35 and make the Marbles even better.

Dragoon 45
10-24-2009, 12:25 AM
I don't have any trouble seeing the front sight now. Using the tang sights matches up pretty well with my two BPCRS. The difference between the semi-buckhorn and the tang sight was like the difference between night and day.

Thanks for the recommendation anyway. I will keep it in mind in case problems develop later on.

Will disagree with you on this one Nick. The Marbles is also great for hunting and the grip is not a problem for all people. I have the Marbles on 4 lever guns and love it. Dragoon 45 you might want to also look at a front sight called the Grabber that is made and sold by a Cowboy Shooter called Manatee. They sell for around $35 and make the Marbles even better.

MtGun44
10-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Be sure you are wearing glasses when you shoot with a tang sight, esp in a hard
recoiling rifle. You can get steel jammed into any eye if you aren't careful and have
no glasses.

I love tang sights, and they are a real help for aging eyes, just a reminder to save
that vision.

Bill