PDA

View Full Version : What size ladle

corvette8n
10-22-2009, 09:46 AM
How are ladles measured, I am looking for one big enough to fill my Lee ignot mold(3lbs) it needs to have a lip on each side as I am a lefty.
My cast iron pot is 10qt that I smelt in.
Got any links to ladle manufactures?

bubba.50
10-22-2009, 10:01 AM
would someone answer this feller? i need to know the same thing. thanks, bubba.

Ctkelly
10-22-2009, 10:32 AM
http://www.theantimonyman.com/ladles.htm

Suo Gan
10-23-2009, 01:05 AM
You can make a good ladle out of a mandarin orange can, a piece of allthread, and a file handle, along with a few nuts to double nut the allthread to the can. You can bend the handle, and the spouts on the can to suit your needs.

Or you can buy a Rowell ladle.

I have numbers 2 and 3 Rowell ladles, and still use the first one I made from the mandarin orange can the most when smelting.

They can be found here.
http://www.advancecarmover.com/listing.php?line=Ladles

I have been thinking about pinching a 3 inch pipe together and welding the crease to make a stronger unit.

kelbro
10-24-2009, 08:21 AM
I drilled and tapped an RCBS ladle to convert it to lefty.

jforwel
10-24-2009, 08:47 AM
I also use a Rowell #3 and use it to fill the Lyman 1 lb. ingots. Usually I can fill 3 of them with one scoop. I also melt my scrap in a cast iron pot that holds about 30 to 40 lbs. and the #3 is a great fit. I have read somewhere that a #4 or larger will require two hands and can be tiring for long periods but have not used one.

alamogunr
10-24-2009, 11:07 AM
I have Rowell ladles #1, 2 and 5. The first two are good for casting and the #2 is OK for filling one cavity of a Lyman, SAECO or RCBS ingot mold. I've never used a Lee ingot mold. I got the #5 because I use 5 cast iron muffin pans to make ingots. Also I chose the #5 because I tend to overdo everything. I wouldn't recommend the #5 for the reason that others stated. At the end of a long WW clean up session, you will wish you had used something smaller.

For a lefty, the Rowell is no better than a conventional ladle since the bottom feed feature is only on one side.

John
W.TN

grages
10-24-2009, 11:33 AM
I got the #2 rowell ladle and use it for smelting. I have a 12 inch cast iron pot from harbor freight and one lee and two Cast Boolit molds. I cannot see getting a bigger ladle than the #2 for what I have to fill. It takes multiple dips to fill the molds, but I turn out nice ingots. The lee fills easily with the #2.

Shawn

HollandNut
10-24-2009, 12:28 PM
I have a big cast iron ladle thats prolly older than anyone here .. About four inches across and a couple deep .. It fills my 1 pounders with galena to spare

cbrick
10-25-2009, 03:18 PM
If a Rowell ladle is in your future I HIGHLY recommend getting it from Rotometals for the simple reason . . .

He advertises on and supports this site.

Use the link at the top of this page.

Rick

mike in co
10-25-2009, 06:01 PM
i get ladles from my local kitchen supply store. they have lots of sizes. almost always ss.
they typically do not have any pour feature. i take a small pair of pliers and add a small spout...could be left or right hand.
i have one with lots of holes as a sieve to clean out clips and such. i added the holes. drilled and deburred

a smaller one...holds about 4 pounds of alloy...3 plus is easy to pour......

i use tall 50 cal ammo cans for smelting pots...cheap and good....

mike in co

alamogunr
10-25-2009, 06:42 PM
i use tall 50 cal ammo cans for smelting pots...cheap and good....

mike in co

That is a new one to me. Any pictures in action?

John
W.TN

mike in co
10-25-2009, 10:36 PM
That is a new one to me. Any pictures in action?

John
W.TN

take the lid off, put on top of my turkey burner and go to town. i need to add a wind shield to keep the heat on the top.

the can holds 120 lbs or so
i ladle out 100 and start over

mike in co

WILCO
10-26-2009, 12:41 AM
I use a small ladle...........

mdi
10-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Soup ladle. Get a Stainless Steel one and use gloves.

montana_charlie
10-26-2009, 03:42 PM
If a Rowell ladle is in your future I HIGHLY recommend getting it from Rotometals for the simple reason . . .

He advertises on and supports this site.

Rowell ladles are about 20% cheaper at http://advancecarmover.thomasnet.com/category/rowell-ladles?
I have no information on differences in shipping costs.

Ebay has lots of ladles. A search for 'iron ladle' gets you this...
http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=iron+ladle&_sacat=0&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=iron+bread&_osacat=0

You'll find big and small, and ones with spouts on both sides.

CM