PDA

View Full Version : Heeled bullets

looseprojectile
10-22-2009, 02:53 AM
Last weekend I got a Martini Cadet rifle. Original chamber.
Nowhere in all my accumulated junk from 55 years of reloading is anything that even comes close to a 120 grain .320" diameter bullet with a heel to fit in the case. Made some cases from 32 20s.
Am thinking about making a swaging die with an ejector with the shape of the nose and a bottom punch with a counterbore to form the base to make an outside lubed bullet. Can't be too difficult can it? Run it in my Rockchucker press?
I really don't want to alter the gun by chambering it to 32 20 and reaming the neck a little larger for an inside lubed bullet. I can picture in my mind what I need for a die.
Anyone done something like this?

Life is good

3006guns
10-22-2009, 09:38 AM
I have the same dilemma.....except my Martini has been rechambered for 32-20. I tried shooting a standard boolit and I swear I could hear it rattle down the tube. I know the correct mold is available but cost is a factor.

Your idea has merit. Since the heeled portion is only a few thousanths smaller than the rest, a Rock Chucker should handle it in my opinion. As long as you're not trying to swage the entire boolit the pressure required would be minimal, probably no more than a regular sizing operation.

Just a thought......what about a standard .32 pistol boolit left as cast (oversize), then run through your "heeling die"? Room for experimentation here!

ANeat
10-22-2009, 09:50 AM
I would say that any die maker could fix you up. One of the Corbins mentions it specificly.

http://www.corbins.com/heelbase.htm

Pepe Ray
10-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Money can solve many problems.
Having access to a machine shop and the skills to use it is also helpful.

I'm making a heeled boolet for a .45Colt bore by swagging the boolet down with a Lee FCD in .444 Marlin. It takes a little more time to figure the adjustments and handle the boolets but it's very rewarding and easy on the budget.
Good luck.
Pepe Ray

45 2.1
10-22-2009, 12:11 PM
RCBS and CBE do make proper molds for it.

looseprojectile
10-22-2009, 01:37 PM
I have a 120 grain gas ckeck .310 boolit. I thought a bump die with the right dimensions would work. I have a small lathe and plenty of time. Generally when I do a project like this I have to fiddle with it and make at least two attempts before I get something to work.
I'll let you know how it turns out.

Life is good