PDA

View Full Version : Felix Boolit Lube

robertbank
04-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Well I did it! Following the instructions in the "Sticky" old four thumbs decided to try making his own boolit lube. And it worked! Well at least I have a cream coloured concuction that looks like bollit lube, smells like boolit lube and as soon as my RCBS Lubricator runs dry will be tested out as a boolit lube.

Actually it was easy. Went to the drug store and picked up some Lanolin - expensive stuff, castor oil and a small bottle of baby oil. then off to the craft store for some beeswax.

Next time I am south I'll pick up some more beeswax as local craft store has a different idea what beeswax is worth than I do.

In any event for those of you who have not tried making your own it really is not difficult. I'll no doubt play with the recipe a bit as time goes on but for now and until I try some out the recipe will stand. Really just an extension of my shooting sport and hobby. Once I get the cost of incrediants down to a manageable level it may actually be cost effective.

As an aside, the smell is not all that bad with only token complaints from the Kitchen Queen. Helped that I cleaned up after myself which really impressed her nibs.

Thanks Felix for the encouragement.

Take Care

buck1
04-29-2006, 12:32 AM
Its good stuff too! You will get used to and even like the smell after a wile.
GOOD 4 U!!.....Buck

Ron
04-29-2006, 03:01 AM
RobertBank, last week I posted the following in the Felix lube sticky, you may find this avenue of obtaining ingrediants advantageous _

"I bought a kilo of anhydrous lanolin and a litre of castor oil through my vet. My daughter works for him so that made things a bit easier. The Lanolin cost AUD$21.00 and the castor oil, AUD $9.00 inc. tax. This is a LOT cheaper than buying through a pharmacy who charge like wounded bulls. Vets use both items for treatment of animals, especially in country areas with livestockl The vet was only too pleased to order it for me and knew what I wanted it for. I reccommend trying your local vet for these supplies instead of buying from high priced pharmacies.
Then yesterday I paid a visit to one of our apiarists and bought a slab of beeswax, 8.6kilos for AUD$94.50 ($11 per kilo) Cant wait to start production of FWFL with variations.

BTW the AUD is worth 25% less than the USD.,

Regards,

Ron

FESTINA LENTE.

44man
04-29-2006, 09:05 AM
http://www.thesage.com/index.html has lanolin.
www.fromnaturewithlove.com has lanolin for $16 for 2 pounds. They are out of stock right now though.
http://www.waxhouse.com./catalog/wax/wax.html
Try these places to save money.