PDA

View Full Version : Ohaus Du-O-Measure

sundog
10-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Anyone have an idea what these are worth, and if they work any better of worse than any other measure. It may, or may not, be available pending disposition of items of late friends estate along with some other items - maybe a few moulds and a press. One of these deals where we might be able to make a few bucks for the widow. I've never used one of these measures, but the engineering is interesting. Seems to be in pretty good shape.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-21-2009, 10:18 PM
I've managed to acquire a couple of these and they are the best measures that I have ever had and used. They come with an adjustable built in baffle that can be regulated according to the powder being used. The drum is reversible for pistol or rifle charges. Once the powder is settled in, either of my duos will consistently give remarkably close charges throw after throw with the various owders that I use even when the powder level is starting to run low. I have tracked them with a scale...I always check every fifth charge anyway, either with my other RCBS's or the Duos and the latters are always either dead-on or very close every time. I never could understand why they ever stopped production of them. As to what they are worth...I believe that they are better engineered, better built, more accurate and consistent and worth more than the ones that RCBS, or Redding (really pricey) are currently making, ( the other stuff on the market is not even in the same league as the Duo), but thats just a personal opinion....lets say in the $75-$100 range, especially if the measure is in good condition and the user is familiar with the quality and reputation of the Duo. Someone who is in the know would/should readily give you a decent price for one of these and as such assist you in your gracious efforts to help your friend's widow. LLS

hammerhead357
10-21-2009, 11:26 PM
I have had a duo measure for over 30 years and really like it. But I don't have any idea what they would be worth used.
The powder hopper on mine is cracked but it still works very well. Mine does leak the finer grain powder through the holes in the sides where the powder baffle rotates.
I am not sure that RCBS has any parts left in stock for this measure. I needed one of the aluminum bodies several years ago and they happened to have one left in stock. They did send it to me for free so I was a happy camper....Wes

pincherpartner
10-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Hi Sundog,
I picked up two of these. One for about $100 from a member here that was in great shape, except it didn't have a stand and one on flea bay for about $50, with a cracked reservoir but a stand. They were both purchased within the last year. So LLS is right on with the 75 -100 range.

They both are good measures. I just put a little graphite on the drum and it is so slick now. It's also nice to be able to flip between the different charges with minimal dialing in on the scale. The only drawback I have noticed is dumping the powder. The manaul lists one way, but I usually just unscrew the entire measure from the stand and pour it back in the container.

I should have a PDF of the manual available if you would like it, just PM your email and I'll send it off.

Good luck helping your friend's family.

dromia
10-22-2009, 01:08 AM
I have and use one regularly, they are fine measures.

Can't help with the price as I got mine eight or nine years ago for £10, I knew I was robbing the dealer then.

Hate to think what they'd have to retail at if they were being made now.

lead-1
10-22-2009, 02:08 AM
I love mine but I have only used it maybe twice in the last two years because the hopper is cracked all over the place and leaks like a seive. I currently got it back out and devised a temporary hopper from a Sprite bottle, looks goony but it works fairly well.

Prince555
10-22-2009, 02:43 AM
Lead 1---Nice invention you came up with.

Echo
10-22-2009, 11:55 AM
+1 for LLS. I have used a Duo-Measure for over 40 years - in fact when I bought it, they didn't yet come with baffles! No matter, it throws uniform charges. I always throw 2 or 3 charges (once I have it set) to settle everything, but it has proven so reliable that I seldom check after it settles down.

o6Patient
12-31-2012, 04:00 PM
duo's, I have both, very nice measures.57197