PDA

View Full Version : More expertise needed on witch Ruger BH ?

Changeling
10-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Hello to all.
After reading some of the posts it appears that there are different Ruger Black Hawk 45 LC's one can buy. I thought there was just the flat tops and the new ones with a "KEY" but evidently I a wrong.

What I would like is a BH in 45 LC with a 5 1/2 to 6 inch barrel is there a preferred model/year to look for? Does it come in stainless steel because I haven't made up my mind yet whether I want blue or stainless. What should I stay away from, for instance there is NO WAY I want a key.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-21-2009, 04:17 PM
If you want a 45colt (LC) Black Hawk without a “key” you should look for what everyone refers to as an “old model” BH. Old model guns are easily recognized by the 3 slotted (flat head) screws on the side of the frame. You will have to check the Ruger website for exact years but if I remember correctly sometime in the 70s (want to say 74) is when Ruger started making the “new model” BH. New models have the “key” and only 2 pins on the side of the frame instead of the 3 screws.

I personally do not mind the lock or “key” thing you talk about on the new models. If you don’t like the “key” simply don’t use it, the lock sits under the grips and you will never know it is there until you clean the gun. I do like the look of the old style 3-screws, but when it comes to function that is purely cosmetics. The new models (and recalled old models) have a transfer bar safety which allows the guns to safely be carried with six rounds, the old models are dangerous to keep loaded with a sixth round under the hammer do to the risk of a “BOOM.”

Both new and old Rugers are great guns and I hear people swear by both.

I have no idea if the old models where made in stainless or not.

P.S. The transfer bar safety is not a safety that you have to disengage with each use. It is simply an ingenious magnesium that prevents the hammer from reaching the firing pin until the trigger is pulled.

NickSS
10-21-2009, 05:31 PM
I have several new model ruger black hawks and do not know about this Key you talke of. In fact I had two of them apart last night doing a trigger job on them and saw no key. Is this something new like this year? Both revolvers I worked on were bought in 2007 and 2008.

targetshootr
10-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Sounds like you'd come out better buying an older, used, new model Blkhk with a lightweight grip frame. You can find them for under $400 and then you won't feel bad tinkering with it like you do a new gun. Some of the new ones have steel grip frames and I think they come with a lock.

10-21-2009, 05:38 PM
The addition of the key-operated lock is fairly new, just don't know exactly when.

stubshaft
10-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Not all "New Models" have "keys". I don't know exactly when they came out but can tell you that up to October 2002 they were not equipped with them. This is the date of manufacture of my newest BH.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-21-2009, 06:07 PM
I have several new model ruger black hawks and do not know about this Key you talke of. In fact I had two of them apart last night doing a trigger job on them and saw no key. Is this something new like this year? Both revolvers I worked on were bought in 2007 and 2008.

There is not actually a “key” on the gun, but there is a small lock located inside the grip frame just below the main spring. The key comes in the box and usually gets lost or thrown away. The lock is totally retarded, you have to remove the grips, or drill a hole through one of the grips to use the “key.” Ruger must have put it on there to cover their own butts.

j20owner
10-22-2009, 01:44 AM
Ruger must have put it on there to cover their own butts.

This is the reason all the 'lockable' guns are around. Every manufacturer who is putting locks on them are doing it for liability reasons.

Back to the thread in question, here's what I'd recommend:
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/101/l_a6db7fdaeddc4a3681a9cddca742c19a.jpg

5.5" New Model. FWIW, it has the lock, but there was no key in the box when we opened it, and it was ordered in and we cut the seal. All I've done to it is to remove one leg of the hammer spring(I think) from the pin to lighten the pull. It's seen nothing but cast since we got it earlier this year. No real groups yet, I'm still getting used to it and I don't think I've found a load that both it and I like.

Oh, and that's the only box of factory ammo that we've put through it, too. [smilie=l:

Was a little aggrieved that it didn't have that fancy new 'reverse index pawl' that I've heard so much about.

Lloyd Smale
10-22-2009, 07:11 AM
if i were youd id save a few more pennys and buy an ruger accusport 45 colt. there a 5.5 inch stainless ajustable sighted bisley. I prefer a 4 5/8s gun but those accusports could easily be called the best out of the box hunting revolver made.

EOD3
10-22-2009, 01:49 PM
I have a Ruger model BN45X "convertible" 45LC/45ACP with a 5.5" barrel. Just about perfect IMHO. :smile:

Changeling
10-22-2009, 04:23 PM
if i were youd id save a few more pennys and buy an ruger accusport 45 colt. there a 5.5 inch stainless ajustable sighted bisley. I prefer a 4 5/8s gun but those accusports could easily be called the best out of the box hunting revolver made.

Sorry Loyd I don't like Bisleys. I want a 5 1/2 to 6 inch Blackhawk. They fit my hand very well from the ones I have picked up.

Where can I find out the differences between the light frame vs the steel frame with the model numbers.
When the keys were installed and how one knows when ordering.
How do you know when a new model has a key/light frame/whatever ?