PDA

View Full Version : solder?

Muddy Creek Sam
10-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Howdy all,

Am fixing to search the place for Dad's Rolls of solder, He was and electronics engineer and also a AC/Refer Repair type (after leaving the USCG). He had a lot of different kinds of solder, Are there any types of solder to avoid?

Sam :D

leadman
10-22-2009, 12:45 AM
Acid core solder is nasty if you throw it in the pot when melting other lead to make ingots. If you do this it is best to add a little at a time and definitely stay upwind.
If you find it on rolls it should be marked, if not the acid flux is usually clear, the rosin core is light brown normally.
A small piece put on the top of molten lead will allow the flux to run out for easy i.d.

Muddy Creek Sam
10-22-2009, 01:16 PM
So far I have found 3 rolls and the fullest was Acid Core, on 95-5 and one 60-40 and 3 tins of solder paste, is this stuff usefuul for alloying?

docone31
10-22-2009, 02:27 PM
I have used acid core with good results. I am not sure what I came up with, but it blended very well.
I would keep the tin aside. If you run into zinc, a little tin helps to blend it.

AJ Peacock
10-22-2009, 03:40 PM
So far I have found 3 rolls and the fullest was Acid Core, on 95-5 and one 60-40 and 3 tins of solder paste, is this stuff usefuul for alloying?

Check your 95-5 and make sure it's not 95% tin 5% Antimony. If so, keep that seperate, as it will be worth a lot when you need to harden some alloy.

AJ