PDA

View Full Version : Levergun joy at the range

Char-Gar
04-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Even though the conditions we less idea with a heavy overcast and a stiff fishtailing breeze, I made a pilgrimage to the rang. Rairly does one has a day at the range when everything works well, but this was on of those days.

First up was my new Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag. I loaded fifty rounds of RCBS 225 GC over 10/Unique. After the obligatory fouling shots to adjust the sights, I got serious. That little rifle produced the nicest cloverleaf/puppy track three shot groups at about an inch. Five rounds opened the groups up to 1.25 to 1.5 inches. Nice round groups with none of the usual lever carbine tendency to string rounds as the barrel get's hot.

Recoil was mild and the velocity was in the 1.3 - 1.4 K range. Plenty of stomp for anything in Texas.

I tried the 250 PB Keith bullets over the same powder charge and the groups doubled in size.

The alloy for the RCBS bullets is WW + 1.25% Sn, the lube was beeswax/Vasaline and the sizing diameter was .431

This loads give all the accuracy I can reasonable expect from the rifle, mild recoil, plenty of power and feeds slick as owl snot through the rifle.

I took along my Ruger OM SBH. I have had this pistol for 13 years and it has been a harlot. I have lavished a fine blue job, exhibition walnut grips by Blu-Magnum, rear sight by Bowen, Belt Magnum base pin and a trigger job and have never received anything but lousy accuracy for my trouble. The loads my Smith 44 Mags thrived on just threw patterns in this pistol.

I loaded five of the above 44 Mag. beans in the wheel and fired at the same 50 yard targets. The give rounds gave me a nice 2" group. The next five went into 2.5" and the next five back to 2.25". There was no need to adjust the sights as they were dead on. Boys this is as good as I can shoot a pistol these days! It don't get no better for me.

Once again I tried the same power charge under the 250 Keith PB and the groups opened up to 6".

Last up to bat was my Marlin 1895SS in 45-70. The load was 405 RCBS GC over 25/4759. Alloy was No. 2, Felix lube and sizing diameter of .460.

The results were almost identical to the 44 Mag carbine. Three rounds into .75, five into 1.25 and the last was a ten shot group that was one ragged hole 1.5" big.

I have been looking for a load that was about one step up from blackpowder with good acccuracy and moderate recoil (for a 45-50) and this loads does what I want.

The range for all of these is 50 yards, and the Marlin leverguns wore Redfield 102 Receiver sights. Front sight on the 1894 is the factory coarse brass bead and the 1895 wears an Ashley post.

9.3X62AL
04-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Chargar--

I would be tickled at a range day like yours, too. They happen once in a while, and it's a real good thing.

PatMarlin
04-29-2006, 12:47 AM
Ever notice how most all RCBS bollit molds perform well?...... :Fire:

As long as they cast out fat enough.. :roll:

Newtire
04-30-2006, 09:02 PM
Ever notice how most all RCBS bollit molds perform well?...... :Fire:

As long as they cast out fat enough.. :roll:
Yup Pat,
That seems to be the case with that H & R .32 mag I got and the 32-98 grainer. i also seem to have better luck with it cast out of wheelweights that are not dropped into water. I aim on getting more scientific with a Lee hardness tester I just ordered from Midway.
I have one of those 165 gr. Silhouette 30 caliber moulds that shoots like crazy out of a tight chambered '06 single shot but not too great out of my Springfield. It drops from the mould at a smallish .309" body & .300 nose.

PatMarlin
04-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Yeah NT, when you think about it, everyone has a favorite RCBS mold in many calibers.

Hey I like that Lee tester alot!

Takes a little getting your favorite way of holding it in order with the right angle of light, but when you do it's great.

I set the boolit on the edge of the bench whilst sitting down and hold the scope with both hands to lock it in, then work my way to the dent on the boolit...

I can get a clear perfect read... :drinks:

Char-Gar
04-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Pat..I certainly hear you! I have nothing but good luck with RCBS molds and designs.