PDA

View Full Version : lyman paperpatch mold

stumpjumper
10-20-2009, 10:47 AM
i have a lyman 450-540 paper patch mold. it also has t. ballard stamped on it. i cant find anything on the net about it. i assume it is out of production. anyone have any info on it. thanks

powderburnerr
10-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Tom Ballard is a montana mould maker , lives around helena , clancy.Mt. I think , I heard conflicting storys lately that he quit and sold his toys and also that he is still going , he made good moulds , and the ones I have or have seen were copies of origional designs.....Dean

Bullshop
10-20-2009, 12:46 PM
A+ on the Tom Ballard molds! I know Tom but have not seen him for nearly 10 years now. He was a regular stop for me at the Montana gun shows. Looking over his molds and his collection of Ballard rifles was always a high point of a show for me.
Tom was getting perty old last I saw him but since his was a labor of love I cant see him ever quitting if he is phisically able.
My great regret now is only buying one of his molds. Mine is a .410" adjustable weight grooved boolit, and I think I will just keep it here thank you very much! A very well made precision piece of work indeed.
I got the mold from Tom to go with a Ballard rifle I had at the time chambered for the 40/50 BN. The rifle is now gone and I have no other 40 cal rifle to use the mold for but just the same I will keep and enjoy having it. Some of these tools and including myself seem to be too quickly becomming Montana history.
Keep yer powder dry! Blessings
BIC/BS