PDA

View Full Version : Brunton scopes??

Jeffery8mm
10-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Has anyone had any experience with this brand of optics??
http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=583
Natchezss has them on sale.

Any input is appreciated!!
Jeff

dualsport
10-20-2009, 12:57 PM
I have several 'NRA' scopes, made by Brunton. They're ok, no problems so far. They do come in different levels of quality, which is mainly number of coatings. Look for fully multi coated lenses if they're available.

leftiye
10-20-2009, 02:29 PM
I see a lot of brunton scopes, and binocs, etc. in the catalogues, and they seem to range all over the place for quality as was said. From 1000 dollar binocs to 60 dollars. I haven't bought any yet.

carpetman
10-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Jeffery8mm--You said optics--If you want binoculars, go to EBAY and find some Zephyr style Bausch& Lomb's made in Rochester NY---not the Japanese or Chinese. You cant beat em. The price on that scope you posted link to is too close to the price on a Leupold--get the Leupold--same great warranty as RCBS.

Jeffery8mm
10-20-2009, 03:40 PM
It is the scope I am interested in. Just saw the sale Natchez had on them and got to thinking it would make a great spare scope. Here is what Natches has them listed for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&brand=BR&prodID=BR81200679&prodTitle=Brunton%20Lite-Tech%203-9x40%20Standard%20Focus%20Duplex%20Reticle
What about it??
Jefff

carpetman
10-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Jeffery8mm---If you get one I hope it does turn out to be cheap for you. My experience with cheap scopes has pretty much been what I have been out for postage sending them back and forth for repairs the expense of re-sighting in etc has really not made them cheap. When Weavers were made in El Paso,Tx they were a cheap scope you could depend on, other than those I'm not aware of any. Buy a Leupold and I have seen them that were a few years old bring more than the original purchase price.

Jeffery8mm
10-21-2009, 09:56 AM
After some research last night, I think I will indeed pass on these!
Thanks for the guidance guys!!
Jeff

223tenx
10-21-2009, 10:31 AM
When I was working for Makarov.com, we had a stack of NcStar scopes waiting to be returned (maybe 12/15). The lenses would pop out after the first shot. We also carried Leapers and you could see the difference in clarity and quality and none returned. I see "The Sportsman Guide has Brunton and a few other brands I'm not familiar with and I've wondered about them. I also used to have a couple of BSA scopes and they were just plain dark when compared to other scopes. This has been 5 years ago, so I can't comment on any improvements in quality.

dualsport
10-21-2009, 12:33 PM
I have a 6x NcStar on a 30-06 that has given no problems, so far.

Jeffery8mm
10-21-2009, 12:44 PM
BSA= Barely See Anything
Jeff

snowtigger
10-22-2009, 02:13 PM
I've had some cheap scopes in the past. Today, I'll only buy Leupold.
The reason? When I go hunting, it's at least a 100 mile drive, a fifty mile boat ride, and a lot of money.
If I spot the moose of a lifetime, when I pull my rifle up to shoot, I want to see something besides fog. Or, if the light is fading, I want to SEE.
Many (most?) of us spend major dollars on our hunting. Why ruin a great hunt for lack of a good scope?
One of my hunting partners had a leupy go in the drink in a canoe accident. It was under ten feet of water for seven full days. When recovered, it only needed wiping off. Maybe, just maybe, a cheap scope would have fared as well, but the LEUPOLD DID!! Enough for me.

wiljen
10-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Nikon has a 3x9x40 that can be found for <$150 with a little effort and has a lifetime warranty from a company you've actually heard of before. Hard to go wrong with the likes of Leopold, Burris, Nikon, or Weaver and when you can find one for <$150 new - even better.

snowtigger
10-22-2009, 04:27 PM
I realise Nikon has been building cameras and lenses for a long time. However, they were always in the upper range price-wise. You were paying for a quality product, especially their lenses.
That is why I am skeptical when I see the prices on their scopes. I expect to pay more for quality.
I don't care about the warranty,warrranty does not mean anything in the woods. I want a scope that is still working when I get home from the field. Leupold has never let me down.

dualsport
10-23-2009, 01:08 AM
Although I have several cheap scopes I'm not suggesting anybody bet a hunt on one. That's the place for a reliable scope. If you have a bunch of guns that you just mess around with you may have to go cheap just to have any scope on them. Put an American scope on the gun you hunt with.

Buckshot
10-23-2009, 01:09 AM
..............With the computer grinding of lenses these days MAKING/GRINDING the lense can be done equally well in Zimbabwe, Srilanka, Berlin, Tokyo, or Chicago. The quality of the glass, it's coatings, and the lense's erection along with the multi power system, and tube construction are what costs. I'll bet the majority of scopes coming out of China all come from the same Peoples Optics factory #56.

Just like machinery, some may be made to a set of specifications but others simply MUST be made to a price, considering what they sell for. Those are the ones you'd want to stay away from. A good indication of how highly they're thought of is to check out the warranty, and especially if it's transferable like Leupold's.

.............Buckshot