PDA

View Full Version : Superglue

jonk
10-20-2009, 09:27 AM
So I have a Lee 170gr 'cruise missle' where the gas check falls off.

Strike that, it will stay on if I size it to .264 but that rather defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Sizing to .269 it seems to remove the slight flare on the check but not crimp it on, and sure enough it drops off reliably while handling. Really only the stickiness of the lube is holding it to the base.

Reading another thread with similar subject matter, some have advocated lapping out the gas check shank. Easy enough I'm sure. However someone else suggested superglue.

Just wondering about the 'easy fix' here- assuming the base isn't seated below the bottom of the neck have you all found this to be adequate? Right now I'm using fillers when I don't really (otherwise) need to to provide assurances that the check doesn't fall into the case but would welcome a change from that. But even then, am interested in the down range performance of superglued checked bullets. I have some old Lyman press fit checks to use up too and this would be applicable there as well.

sundog
10-20-2009, 09:55 AM
In theory, beagling only the base end of the mould (the top just under the sprue plate) will produce a tapered BOOLIT, thus increasing the diameter of the gas check shank. Just a wacky 'idear', but something I would try. Heck cost of that is zero if you have the flue tape on hand already.

dragonrider
10-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Super glue=one time on every boolit

Lapping out the shank= one time only.

Calamity Jake
10-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Sundog has a good idea and it works because I have done it!!

However I have some of the old Lyman 41 mag non crimp GCs that I secure to the base of Lyman 410610 with super glue before I run them thru the size/luber, a very small dab is all you need as you don't want the glue in the H&I die or on the boolit sides.

In your case with the small GC for 6.5 I would apply very small drop of the glue to the point of a toothpic them insert into the GC then seat the boolit.

jonk
10-20-2009, 02:06 PM
I don't have any flue tape on hand but that's an idea. I think 1-2 thousandths would be enough to take up the slack.

I think I'll try the superglue as a short term fix, then the tape/beagling, finally if none of the above make me happy, the lapping.

StarMetal
10-20-2009, 04:53 PM
So I have a Lee 170gr 'cruise missle' where the gas check falls off.

Strike that, it will stay on if I size it to .264 but that rather defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Sizing to .269 it seems to remove the slight flare on the check but not crimp it on, and sure enough it drops off reliably while handling. Really only the stickiness of the lube is holding it to the base.

Reading another thread with similar subject matter, some have advocated lapping out the gas check shank. Easy enough I'm sure. However someone else suggested superglue.

Just wondering about the 'easy fix' here- assuming the base isn't seated below the bottom of the neck have you all found this to be adequate? Right now I'm using fillers when I don't really (otherwise) need to to provide assurances that the check doesn't fall into the case but would welcome a change from that. But even then, am interested in the down range performance of superglued checked bullets. I have some old Lyman press fit checks to use up too and this would be applicable there as well.

Jonk,

We both know what the application for the Cruise Missile is. You're dead on about sizing it to .264 defeats it's purpose. Further more any rifle that would require it sized to .264 more then likely isn't going to have a long enough freebore/throat to accept it. It is therefore my opinion that you lap out the gas check shank area in the mould. That little bit of inconvenience is worth not having to hassle with super glue all the time.

Joe