PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in a new Barrel

lind0001
10-20-2009, 09:08 AM
Fellow CB'ers:

Any thoughts on how to break in a new barrel when the plan is to not use any J-word bullets, just cast? Would the barrel ever get "broken -in" if it never wears out? Also, how long might a barrel last if it never sees J-word bullets?

Thanks for the insights,

docone31
10-20-2009, 09:13 AM
I would fire some Jacketeds through it.
Firing lead will smooth the tool marks, feathers, etc., but the jacketeds do it faster.
Then, if it still has some rough spots, I would fire lap it. Just smear some valve Lapping Compound on the boolitt. I have done this with paper patched loads.
Paper does some amazing stuff in the bore, none of it seems to be bad.

c3d4b2
10-20-2009, 09:40 AM
What type barrel do you have?

I have seen and heard varying opinions on breaking barrels in from it is not needed to extravagant procedures. The higher quality barrels I have had have not required any break in at all (no fowling).

deltaenterprizes
10-20-2009, 09:54 AM
If you use lapping compound use the finest grit you can find.

docone31
10-20-2009, 10:03 AM
The finest, and very lightly.
I would rather do a lot of light grit loads then few heavy grit loads.

Edubya
10-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Using the fire laping idea might be faster, but use a much lower charge. It does cause a pressure build up like you wouldn't believe.
EW

lind0001
10-21-2009, 08:19 AM
I have not yet purchased a barrel, but Lilja or Krieger are the makers I have in mind. The web sites of various barrel makers give a rather similar breaking-in process, but it is all assuming that Jacketed will be used. Some of the sites frown on any lapping other than that done at the factory as the geometry of the rifling can change while the bore and throat diameter can increase. All I can safely assume is that barrel wear will be markedly less with cast than with Jacketed.

pdawg_shooter
10-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Run a couple hundred paper patched bullets through it. You will be amazed at the polish you will achieve that way.