PDA

View Full Version : hi all, have an odd request for 7.62x39 data

trickyasafox
04-28-2006, 12:23 AM
i dont post here much, mainly just lurk (probably cause i havent started casting yet :) )

but i need some help and this seemed the most appropriate place. I just ordered two sks's with my C&R (just got it by the way, man is this thing gonna burn holes in my pockets) and i want to feed them something decent. wolf is fine for most stuff, but to be honest i hear that 7.62x39 is in short supply, and my area is no exception. i want to start reloading for it, and i wanted to do lead to save some money.

penn bullet offers this design: http://www.pennbullets.com/30/30-caliber.html

national bullet offers this: http://nationalbullet.com/index.php?name=32_Cal_Bullets

seeing as how making my own isnt really an option, i was wondering if you guys would recomend either of these for my needs. the sks's will be open sight, and mainly for a plinking round.

i could really use:

load data for preferred bullet
sources you'd recomend if either of these arent that great
maybe a source for 7.62x39 brass, i can't find a decent price on that either

thanks for reading, i know this is a little out of place here, but i appreciate any and all help :-D

Bullshop
04-28-2006, 12:27 AM
We have a 165 NEI that is designed for the 7.62x39. It works very well in the SKS rifles.
BIC/BS

StarMetal
04-28-2006, 12:48 AM
Along with Bullshops bullet, Lee make a two cavity mould called 312-155 for the 7.62x39 and they are relatively pretty cheap. It casts a 155 gr bullet that is of the proper diameter. Most SKS's have around a .311 groove diameter, some little tighter, some little bigger. A good load for that bullet is a case full of either IMR 4895 or surplus 4895. I'm using the surplus. Now Buckshot of our forum here gets a full case full because I think he may be using thinner brass then me. I use Winchester and and I can get 26.5 grs in and that to the bottome of the neck. I have a Yugo SKS and it shoot darn good. You could use Bullshops bullets but I'd probably load about 23 grs of 4895 being that bullet is a tad heavier. Surplus 844, which is like Hodgdon's 335, is another good powder. With the Lee bullet 25 grs works fine.

Joe

Buckshot
04-28-2006, 02:36 AM
..............trickyasafox, the very first thing you need to do before spending your bux on some commercial boolits is to slug the barrel of your rifle. Everything evolves from there. Get a couple fishing sinkers. You can use pliers to mash them up if a bit too skinny. You want to make sure they are going to be over the groove diameter so you don't get a too small impression that is missleading.

Ideally you can get a slug that is a thou over your groove diameter. I'd check with Bullshop here on the board. He is a commercial caster but I understand he does custom work so you can get something to fit, instead of settling for something 'close'.

Are you planning on running your SKS as a semi auto or a single shot?

...............Buckshot

trickyasafox
04-28-2006, 08:30 AM
guys im ignorant, so if you could tell me how to slug my barrel as well, that would be very appreciated. i'd like to run it in semi, as i ordered a m59 and a m59/66 so i can only run 1 in single shot if i wanted to anyway.

Larry Gibson
04-28-2006, 12:40 PM
trickyasafox

national bullet offers this: http://nationalbullet.com/index.php?name=32_Cal_Bullets

seeing as how making my own isnt really an option, i was wondering if you guys would recomend either of these for my needs. the sks's will be open sight, and mainly for a plinking round.

i could really use:

load data for preferred bullet
sources you'd recomend if either of these arent that great
maybe a source for 7.62x39 brass, i can't find a decent price on that either
:-D[/QUOTE]

Since you can't cast your own (Starmetal was spot on with the Lee 312-155 over H4895 for 1860 fps in my SKSs) I'd suggest you try the National Bullet 155 gr 7.62 bullet. You can get a 25 bullet sample pack for $5 from them. Go with the copper plated ones or try both. Start with 20 gr of H4895 and work up to 28 gr in 2 gr increments (that's 25 bullets with 5 shots in each increment) . You are looking for functional reliability, accuracy and minimal leading of the bore and gas system.

I haven't bought 7.62x39 brass for quite some time so I can't advise what's out there. I have R-P which uses a SR primer and W-W and IMI which use LR primers. All three are good. I use the W-W and IMI in the SKS and both give very good case life with these cast loads. I use the R-P cases in a Mini MKX Mauser.

Let us know what you got and how they do, ok?

Larry Gibson

StarMetal
04-28-2006, 12:56 PM
I forgot to mention that Midway has the Winchester line of brass for the 7.62x39 and the lot that I got sure has taken alot of reloading and beatings and haven't lost a one.

Joe

Buckshot
04-29-2006, 06:20 AM
............To slug the barrel you need a lead slug, a metal rod, and a hammer. Use an appropriate sized lead fishing sinker for the slug. Get a 1/4" dia steel rod from the hardware store. They usually come in 3" lengths. Wrap a couple turns of masking tape around it every 4-5" to keep it off the barrel.

Ideally the barrel is clean. Run a oiled patch through the barrel. Remove the bolt and carrier then drop the slug into the upended chamber. Set the steel rod against the slug and drive it on through. Ideally it's situated to drop on a soft surface. Use your dial guestimator to check the goove (the raised part as the slug is a negative). A mike would be better, but not mandatory.

If you're lucky the groove could mike .310". You become unluckier as the groove becomes larger :-). It 'should' come in at .312" or less. There are LOTS of appropriate slugs .312" or less.

...............Buckshot

redneckdan
04-29-2006, 07:39 AM
I got a bag of 7.62x39 whinchester brass laying around my apartment some where, PM me yer address and I'll flat rate it to ya.

trickyasafox
05-11-2006, 03:58 PM
head redneck i pm'd youa while ago, i definatly want that brass if you still have it

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-11-2006, 11:32 PM
trickyasafox,

Here's a link to a very good bore slugging tutorial. That should get you going. When you buy the sinkers, get a combo set from walmart. Then next time you need to do it, you'll have the sinker you need. Here's the link:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm

Regards,

Dave

versifier
05-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Nice link Dave, but I'd do as Buckshot suggested and use a metal rod. Dowels will sometimes crack, split, etc., even short hardwood ones. How do I know this? [smilie=1: When it happens (not if, when) then you have to go and get a metal rod anyway, tape it up, and drive out slug and pieces of dowel from the other end, then you have to start all over again and do it right. :mrgreen: Much easier to do it right the first time.