PDA

View Full Version : 8mm Silhouette CB, Preliminary Range Results

Maven
10-19-2009, 06:53 PM
I had a chance to fire 15 of these beauties today and was very pleased with their performance. Although I wasn't at my best today, I was able to put most of them inside U.S. Quarter-sized red dots @ 50 yds. using my standard load of 20.6 grs. WC 820. However, there is a small fly in the ointment with this CB. To wit, the design is such that there is only 1 lube groove and it left a small amount of lead in my bbl. If you have this mold, you may want to heat treat or water drop your CB's and wipe some liquid alox on their noses to prevent leading. (I just finished doing this to the 25 rounds that I didn't fire today.) Otherwise, I'm extremely pleased with the quality of the mold and the bullet design.

richbug
10-19-2009, 07:15 PM
I had a chance to fire 15 of these beauties today and was very pleased with their performance. Although I wasn't at my best today, I was able to put most of them inside U.S. Quarter-sized red dots @ 50 yds. using my standard load of 20.6 grs. WC 820. However, there is a small fly in the ointment with this CB. To wit, the design is such that there is only 1 lube groove and it left a small amount of lead in my bbl. If you have this mold, you may want to heat treat or water drop your CB's and wipe some liquid alox on their noses to prevent leading. (I just finished doing this to the 25 rounds that I didn't fire today.) Otherwise, I'm extremely pleased with the quality of the mold and the bullet design.

What lube did you use?

No_1
10-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Hi Paul,

I will assume this was shot from your bull barrel gun? I am interested in your results with ALOX on the nose because good 'ole dad got in on that GB and gave me the mould Sunday when we met for lunch.

Robert

Maven
10-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Rich, I used Felix Lube on the body, but have since smeared the noses with Lee Liquid Alox.

Robert, Yes, it was the heavy-bbl'ed. 8 x 57mm Mau. Now that there's liq. alox on their noses, I'll be in a better position to determine whether or not they lead the bore. I also want to experiment with a slightly longer OAL: 2.96" v. 2.93" at present.

Maven
10-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Tried these again yesterday @ 50 yds. and am pleased to report that the silhouette design is excellent. Btw, the liquid alox on the bore riding nose worked very well to prevent leading. Next step is to place my targets @ 100 yds. even though that berm is in deep shadow.

No_1
11-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Paul,

Great news on the alox experiment. Do you single feed the rifle or feed from the magazine?

Robert

Maven
11-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Robert, I almost always load them one at a time. However, with an OAL of 2.96", I think they will feed from the magazine.

TCLouis
11-05-2009, 08:22 PM
How much does this boolit weigh?
AA#9 speed WC-820?

Just full of questions, ain't I??

richbug
11-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Were your mold blocks misaligned by chance? One of my blocks sits .050" lower than the other on one end, and .090" lower on the other end. The cavities and top are fine and it seems to cast OK, but I had to bend a set of handles to get it to fit.

No_1
11-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I just looked at mine and with the eye-crometer they look pretty good. I have not tried handles in it yet.

Robert

Maven
11-06-2009, 01:14 PM
All, My mold drops perfect bullets @ 206.3grs. +-0.7grs. WITH gas checks applied. The mold itself required only minimal removal of sharp edges from the cavities (a few light passes with a file), but was otherwise excellent (in contrast with the 6.5mm- and .30-150-TL-PB molds, which required a bit of tuning/Leementing): No misalignment anywhere. As for the velocity I'm getting from WC 820 (AA #9), I have to plead ignorance compounded with laziness*. I.e., with the exception of WC 820 loads in my .44Mag., I haven't taken the time to set up my chronograph to determine this. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say somewhere between 1,700fps and 1,800fps.

*By the time I get to the range, usually after 12:30 PM, the sun isn't in the best position for chronographing loads. I can tilt the tripod head away from the sun (~30 deg. from vertical), which works, but leaves an odd "window" to shoot through.

TCLouis
11-15-2009, 02:20 PM
I have solved sun angle issues with shades cut from the sides of milk jugs.
I keep a set of 4 in my Chrono carrying case along with clothes pins ( need to throw in some Gem Clips, they are stronger and smaller).

When the sun is at certain angles I just put the translucent plastic in place and "bingo" my chrono starts reading again.

I'll go shoot 5 with the 175 grain boolit and 20 of WC 820 when I try my 24 WC846 and 150 in the 30-30 14" Tender here after lunch.

Now wherein the heck is a good 9 volt baattery??????