PDA

View Full Version : Lee 6 cavity mold and ladle pouring

azcoyhunter
10-19-2009, 05:42 PM
I have searched and could not find any answers.

Is there a problem of using a Lee 6 cavity (Lee 300 GR boolit), ladle pouring? Such as keeping the entire hold hot enough to pour, or even getting it too hot.

I have the 2 cavity mold, and I would like more production, it seems like a waste of resources to only pour 2 at a time, instead of 6 at a time.

Thanks for the opinions/advise.

Dale53
10-19-2009, 08:13 PM
I don't think you will have a problem ladle pouring for a six cavity mould. You WILL have to make "adjustments" depending on the capacity of your ladle, but it is certainly within limits of what's doable. You'll learn quickly what is needed.

FWIW, I am a big fan of multi-cavity aluminum moulds...

Dale53

mooman76
10-19-2009, 08:16 PM
The 6xs are a little harder to deal with because of size but you should not have any problems you can't overcome with adjust your technique. A 300gr bullet will be enough lead to heat it up good and keep it hot. You do need a big enough ladle to get it done in one trip to the pot.

JCherry
10-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Clint,

I have a Lee 6 cavity Group Buy mold in 311041 that I once tried to use with a lyman dipper and it did not work well for me. As I recall I could pour 2 cavities and then had to refill the dipper and by the time I got the other 4 cavities poured the preceeding cavities had hardened up so it was a bit of a pain to open the sprue.

I found that in this instance with the 6 cavity mold the bottom pour was best for me, though I feel better with a dipper.

I think there are some larger dippers that can be obtained, "Rowells" come to mind.

I never was very good at bottom pour and I recently permanently converted my 20 lb Lee bottom pour to dipper only. I will probably get a "Rowell" dipper primarily for use with the Lee 6 cavity mold.

I'm guessing a 1 pounder Rowell dipper would be about right though I'm not sure. I'm sure someone more experienced in this matter will chip in with information on this subject.

Next time you get down this way give me a holler and we'll go out and do some shooting. Don't wait till it snows.

Have Fun,

JCherry

Dutch4122
10-19-2009, 08:23 PM
I found early on that I actually got better results with the Lee Six Cavity molds using a ladle than with a bottom pour pot.

Best advice I can give you here is to get a small Rowell Ladle from Bill Ferguson at bulletmetals.com. The even smaller RCBS and Lyman ladles don't hold enough lead when you start pouring six heavy slugs at one time.

My best results with the ladle and Lee Six Cavity molds have come when I pour from front to back, I.E.; start at the end closest to the handles and work your way towards the back. Also, make sure the mold is preheated very well before you begin. I set mine on a electric hotplate for 45 minutes after cleaning the cavities with brake cleaner and applying Bull Shop's sprue plate lube.

Hope this helps,:grin:

Wayne Smith
10-19-2009, 08:58 PM
The half pound Rowell ladle is plenty. I've found that my pouring is not nearly as accurate with that than with the Lyman. I have the 462420 six cavity group buy and, once the mold is hot, have no trouble pouring with my Lyman ladle. I can usually pour four of these with one ladle, two with the next, and if the mold is hot the sprues all solidify at about the same time. You do need to be quick, I will agree. I pour all six of the little .32 Keith boolits with one ladle. It all depends on your boolit size, how well your metal flows, and how hot your mold is.

stubshaft
10-19-2009, 09:08 PM
I only ladle cast now. I use a RCBS ladle with the opening opened up to 3/16". I generally cast with 2 Lee 6 cavity 45/300gr boolit moulds at the same time, talk about production!. Since I only ladle cast I can't tell you if you would have to change your technique from bottom pour.

Good luck.

imashooter2
10-19-2009, 09:31 PM
With a Lyman dipper, I had to do 2 dips for even 180 grain .38 bullets. I can see where some bigger stuff might even take 3 dips. Quality was still excellent and production significantly higher than 2 hole mold.

Bret4207
10-20-2009, 08:04 AM
I have the 1 lbs Rowell ladle and it's a bit too big sometimes- awkward. A cheap gravy or soup ladle can be bent to form a sharper pour area and will work fine and it's much, much less expensive. There's nothing wrong with ladle pouring. I find it to be far more flexible than BP casting, but both work fine.

azcoyhunter
10-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks to all who posted your help.
That is the exact reason I love this forum, if you ask a honest question you get honest answers.

I think I will give it a try, now to save the $$$ to get the 6 Cavity Lee 300gr.

Thanks again to all that helped.

GLL
10-20-2009, 12:36 PM
I also cast using a bored out RCBS ladle and have no problems with six-cavity moulds !

Jerry