PDA

View Full Version : adventures in "moose land"

fishhawk
10-19-2009, 03:08 PM
this is a true story i should know i was there!
no names were changed to protect any one!
the people involved are Wayne L. ---guide--Pat H. owner of cedar point lodge---steve k (IE fishhawk)
and so the story begins with me leaveing home early on Friday morning for the trip to "moose camp" the plan was to go part way and stop overnight in INT.Falls MN. only problem with that was in the morning 2 inches of fresh snow ontop of ice. oh well driven in snow before just go slow on the roads ( now may it be known that the folks in north west ONT. use that term rather loosley for a "road") any way after 120 miles at 30 MPH i was ready to kill any thing!
so get into cedar point and relaxe the rest of the day pull out for moose camp sunday morning as we arive in camp across the lake i see MOOSE! hmmmm good sign i think even though it's a cow set up the cabin and get stuff moved in and start scouting. cow is still out feeding and think we hear the bull grunt to call her back in for some moose hanky panky. well looks like a good hunt comeing!

we open the next morning with ARGGGGGG! whats this ****! it's snowing to beat the band! well moose are still out in this stuff so lets hunt any way, find a spot to watch a feeding area even though you can't see 50 yds. sit the day and nothing not even any gray jays to entertain me about 5:30 PM i think just WTH am i doing out here? i can't even see the edge of the lake right now! well i make my way back to tha cabin and find the guide just comeing in and he says am i glad to see you! i was hopeing you were comeing in ( i had the key to the cabin) so finnished up monday just BSing and cooking supper ahhhh well early to bed any way!

ok next morning! snow stopped about 10 last night, got about a foot, Wayne says lets hop in the truck and look for tracks after about 10 miles on something called a "road" and not a fresh track any place we are back in camp. well the snow is a PITA so lets scout out the lake with the boat OK say i ( thinking this may not be a year for a moose) start out checking out feeding sights on Lac Seul check out a few weed beds and bays not seeing a thing come around a point into another bay and i say Wayne is that a moose? was standing in the water infront of some willows and just looked out of place IT MOVED! yup moose! next thing does it have antlers? dam can't see it well enough we are about 400 yds away just sneek the boat in slow head turns and we see a flash of sun off the antler..BULL!!!! ok sneek us in closer......closer......closer...DAM theres a cow! good thing there eye sight is bad...closer..closer Wayne says get ready theres your bull just don't let him out of the water! heads the boat for the shore (can't shoot from the boat) boat hits shore (didn't think i could get out of a boat that fast any more!) Wayne ranges the moose at 187 yds....ok by now Wayne has me realy hiped up and jumpy so i aim the 06 and BOOM! bull doesn't react......dam i know i got a bullet in these things draw down on it again and BOOOOM! drops right down he's hurt bad but now trying to follow the cow bul problem is now all i got for a target is head and neck rest is under water, long story short 2 more into the neck before it sucomes to lead poisning.

well to get it back to where we could get it out of the water we had a slow 5 mile boat trip with a moose tied up to the side of the boat! get back to camp the ATV would not pull it out of the water finnaly had to use the explorer in low range to get it onto land for gutting and loading in the trailer which was a major under takeing in its self! got it hauled into the butcher friday after it hung in the shed at cedar point for a couple days and got every thing home last night. steve k

waksupi
10-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Good story, Steve. I wondered about shooting it in the water, but sounds like you guys had it covered, like a fat lady on a pot!

gon2shoot
10-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Good deal. Steaks for everyone . :drinks:

garandsrus
10-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Steve,

Congratulations! I have never hunted Moose but have seen them and they are HUGE.

John

waksupi
10-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Rool #16

fishhawk
10-19-2009, 08:37 PM
never figured out how to post photo's here. steve k

SharpsShooter
10-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Great hunt Steve. Congats. What boolit, load etc??

SS

fishhawk
10-20-2009, 08:14 AM
30-06 with a hornady 220 gr RN J-bullet loaded up to 2585 FPS with IMR4350 powder won't say how many grains not a safe load in a semi-auto rifle, bolt or pump gun load only steve k

MT Gianni
10-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Nice going. Nothing like a downed Moose to make a guy grin.

Storydude
10-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Dragging the moose through the water had to be easier than dragging it across the land :D

Triggerhappy
10-20-2009, 12:58 PM
At least the water got any fleas off of it.

Bullshop
10-20-2009, 01:23 PM
No Problemo! Slip a deflated tractor inner tube over each end of the moose. Re inflate the tubes with a little 12 volt compressor off your boat battery. Presto!!! Instant raft.
Attach trolling motor and ride home. Oh the simplicity of it!
Congrats! Enjoy! Blessings!
BIC/BS

dominicfortune00
10-20-2009, 09:38 PM
No Problemo! Slip a deflated tractor inner tube over each end of the moose. Re inflate the tubes with a little 12 volt compressor off your boat battery. Presto!!! Instant raft.
BIC/BS

ROFLMAO at the mental picture of somebody doing that!

stubshaft
10-21-2009, 12:16 AM
Congrats on a successful hunt.

AZ-Stew
10-22-2009, 12:52 AM
BIC/BS

Not only can you use it for a raft, but when you get it to shore, you can roll it on the two inner tubes, using the moose as an axle, and take it anywhere you want. :bigsmyl2:

Regards,

Stew