PDA

View Full Version : To .44 Man and everyone

Mike Venturino
10-19-2009, 12:29 PM
.44 Man: I do accept your hand. I have no quarrels with fellow bullet casters and appreciate your stand up attitude.

As to the insight your friend gave you, by golly he has things pinned down. Gunwriting is a job just like any other job and there are parameters that one has to fit into. That said, I always say that the best I can do is the best that I can do and still get paid. At a gun show one time a fellow said, "I liked your article on (whatever it was) but I disagree with (whatever it was). I laughed and said, "I respect your opinion but the bottom line is that I still got paid for it." Then we both laughed.

Perhaps being in this game as long as I have the editors with my present situation do give me some latitude. For example the current HANDLOADER has my column titled THE VERNACULAR OF BPCR SILHOUETTE. What's that? Well you'll have to read it to see what a "John Deere shot" is or what it is when a shooter gets "Mary Poppins." In fact that column can be previewed on the Wolfe Publishing website right now. That's www.riflemagazine.com. Then just follow the instructions but I warn you if you are still on dial up it will take a bit to download.

The point I'm trying to make here is that that column did no advertising for products and didn't relay any technical information but they still allowed me to do it and I bet that the readers enjoy it. For GUNS Magazine and THE AMERICAN HANDGUNNER they have allowed me to do pieces on my big collie dog who is laying beside my chair right now and my flight in a B17 a couple of years back. Reader mail was great on both of those things.

And here's my say on "boolit" versus bullet. I just don't care. I saw it as the tongue in cheek thing its meant to be as soon as I read it and my thought was, "Huh. Someone's clever. I never would have thought of that."

That said, I don't use it because as a professional writer you try to stick with what is "correct." Otherwise you'll slip up and insert the slang into an article and drive the proof-readers to distraction. Mostly they aren't "gun people." Usually they are very bright, well educated, young gals and can spot a mistake a mile away. They also don't understand slang all the time. For instance, a western term for resisting something is to "bog your head." That comes from a horse bogging his head, because that comes immediately before he tries to buck you off. I put "bog my head" in an article recently in reference to GUNS & AMMO's editiors in the 1980s trying to force me to write 9mm articles. The proof reader changed it to "bow my head" which of course is a totally different meaning. (Interestingly, nowadays I'm shooting lots of 9mms because of my WW2 collection.)

Along those same lines you might notice that some people use the words when refering to the numbers 0 through nine but then use the numerals from 10 on after that. That is also journalistic style used by all newspapers and also all gun magazines. If people do that they have probably attended some journalism classes.

And finally before I get back to work, I'd like to say this about 10 gallon hats. Back when I got paid to ride horses I wore one daily and I still have a couple. Nowadays I don't wear them because I don't want to have to keep track of them all the time and don't ride horses anymore. By my standards a hat is best if its got sweat stains in it and dust all over it. That means it was worn off the concrete and pavement. I think you get my drift.

Thanks for reading this. I'll post more later but need to work on a .38 WCF for handguns article right now.
Mike Venturino

theperfessor
10-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Mike

Got it, I'm here now. Thanks. For what my opinion is worth, I like your style.

danski26
10-19-2009, 12:53 PM
I was wondering what your take on the back and forth was. Thanks for the insight.

Whitworth
10-19-2009, 01:03 PM
I used to clash incessantly with my copy editor on proper slang usage. No matter how many times I explained that some words and expressions are part of the vernacular the readership knows, loves, and expects. Then the "style guide" was thrown at me and I was told to follow the rules........:groner:

The magazine racket is more frustrating for the writer than the reader.

frank505
10-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Write all you want and the way you want to write it. maybe your editor needs to make an extended trip to the west and see what some of us do with our sixguns every day as we work and play. I look forward to your article on the 38wcf sixgun. guy that works for me is interested as he also has a 38/40 92 saddle ring carbine. has killed two deer with it, black powder and the old lyman bullet. goes thru em and they tip over.
i read you articles because of what you write and to some extent, the way you write.
THANK YOU

45nut
10-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Speaking for myself only, but that is a great post and shows how to keep friends on every level.
Thanks Mike.

44man
10-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Mike, you are a big man in more way then One! :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:
Thank you a whole bunch.

9.3X62AL
10-19-2009, 01:32 PM
What Ken said.

Thank you, Mike!

badgeredd
10-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Mike,

Thank you for your candid comments.

In my mind (it fills quickly:bigsmyl2:) I totally understand the use of the term"boolit" as used on the internet in forums. Obviously a few others understand its use but are upset by its use. The English language (American English in particular) is loaded with acronyms and derived words like "boolit". Who knows, perhaps in 20 years the Websters Dictionary will have the term defined as we use it here. It really isn't a biggie but it drives me to anger when a few narrow minded people do not recognize its importance to this site in particular, and deride individuals for their spelling and grammar. Obviously we aren't all equal in education or the command of the language. I'm sure we are not all equal in our understanding of precision measuring equipment or machine tools and their usage. It would make no more sense to me to belittle or degrade someone for their casual incorrect usage of terms used in that industry, than to be pretentious enough to correct their grammar or spelling.

I rarely make comments on this type of issue here, but enough has been said about the use of the word "boolit" here on this forum.

Edd

Mike Venturino
10-19-2009, 01:39 PM
.44 Man: I'm a lot less "big" in one way. I had that stomach banding operation done about a year ago and so far have lost about 65 pounds. I've just started putting current photos of me in the magazines.

I had decided that my life was just about perfect but I darn sure needed to lose some pounds to help keep me alive and enjoying it. I had to take out a loan on my home to pay for it because insurance wouldn't cover a penny of it but its been well worth it. I carried a 50 pound sack of horse feed for my wife a couple days back and thought, "Holy cow. I was packing this and more every step!"

.45 Nut: I think I've figured out another way to help keep people happy. A few days back in my hurry I mis-called the M1 Carbine's operating slide an "op-rod." I was chastised a bit so instead of getting mad I'm going to give that M1 Carbine part a new name. From now on its going to be the "op-thingy." And when I can't think of a term it will henceforth be the "thingy." How's that for using my noggin?

Talk to you guys later. Its time for my cardiac rehab exercise class at the hospital.
Mike

wiljen
10-19-2009, 01:50 PM
I knew I liked ya for some reason Mike, Keep up what you are doing. Nice to have at least a few gun writers that are more interested in doing it right than in what they can promote.

waksupi
10-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Good words, Mike. I knew you had to have a sense of humor, or you wouldn't hang around that dirt peddler from the Rez!

fivegunner
10-19-2009, 02:32 PM
But I still think the 45Colt is the best handgun round ever made!:lovebooli:lovebooli:-)

No_1
10-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Mike,

I enjoy your articles and am glad you are a "regular" guy. I met a few of the industry leaders while at the shot show in Orlando this past year. Most seemed to have plenty of time for chit chat but there were some who acted a little too important to share a moment with me. I guess you will have that in anything.
I am glad you are taking positive steps towards recovering your health. Keep it up and stay with us a little longer. ;)

Robert

txbirdman
10-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Mike,

I've got some of your old articles in which you're wearing a hat. I believe you are holding a SAA, imagine that. I've referred to that old article you wrote about sighting in a fixed sight handgun many times through the years. Is that old 5" M&P still your "bedside" handgun?

44man
10-19-2009, 03:47 PM
.44 Man: I'm a lot less "big" in one way. I had that stomach banding operation done about a year ago and so far have lost about 65 pounds. I've just started putting current photos of me in the magazines.

I had decided that my life was just about perfect but I darn sure needed to lose some pounds to help keep me alive and enjoying it. I had to take out a loan on my home to pay for it because insurance wouldn't cover a penny of it but its been well worth it. I carried a 50 pound sack of horse feed for my wife a couple days back and thought, "Holy cow. I was packing this and more every step!"

.45 Nut: I think I've figured out another way to help keep people happy. A few days back in my hurry I mis-called the M1 Carbine's operating slide an "op-rod." I was chastised a bit so instead of getting mad I'm going to give that M1 Carbine part a new name. From now on its going to be the "op-thingy." And when I can't think of a term it will henceforth be the "thingy." How's that for using my noggin?

Talk to you guys later. Its time for my cardiac rehab exercise class at the hospital.
Mike
My belly is from home made beer! Please don't tell me to give it up.
My little dog still loves me and is all that counts. She is sleeping under my seat right now. I thank the good Lord every hour for such wonderful animals. Have any of you had a dog that hugs you?
Yes, I hunt and kill deer, etc, but it always saddens me to take a life.
It also saddens me to find you have a problem Mike and will also pray that you will be OK and I want everyone here to join me.
I am not a religious nut and will not go to church but I believe there is a higher power and He does listen.
All I can offer is my best feelings, get well.
No, you fellas here don't really know me, just know I care for all of you.

clintsfolly
10-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Wow 44man and MV shake hands and not fight there is a first!:p I know this was a great place Clint :lovebooli

Bret4207
10-19-2009, 05:10 PM
I like Mike, but I got no use for moron Taffin.

theperfessor
10-19-2009, 06:08 PM
C'mon Brett, don't be shy, tell us what you really think.

theperfessor
10-19-2009, 06:21 PM
It would be real fun to get Mike and 44Man together on a range sometime. Decide on the rules of various contests, bring the best you got and have a shootout. Would make for a good story and would definitely be educational for all. A true gentleman's shooting exhibition.

I'll chip in the first $20 for gas money to get these two guys together.

That would be real entertainment!

Char-Gar
10-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Bret... John Taffin has a couple of quirks, as do we all, but he really isn't a bad guy. He was/is a teacher and I was thinking English was his subject, but I am not certain about that. He is a stickler for the use of correct speech and is pretty crusty to boot. He is having a hard time dealing with the changes in everyday speech.

Our culture has pretty well lost it's regard for the proper use of the language in these days of computers, chat boards and text messages. What my teachers called "bad grammer", the English
text books of today call "informal English". Folks of my generation (John Taffin and myself are the same age) had it beaten into our heads at all levels of education that the use of less than perfect English just was not acceptable.

I teach at the University of Texas at Brownsville in the Legal Studies department and 95% of my students could not pass a High School Freshman English exam. I teach Legal Writing and I have to teach my students to use simple one clause sentences, because if they strive for anything else, their writting becomes garbled. In the legal profession, garbled communication can cost somebody a great deal of money. I beat Graff's Rule of Legal Writting No. 1, into their heads... "Nobody will pay you money to write a sentence they have to read more than one time to understand!"

Unlike John Taffin, I am not hung up on old time formal English. I really don't much care if the language has morphed and Taffin is tilting with windmills. I still use bullet, but could care less if others call them boolits. It certainly isn't worth getting cross wise with a fellow shooter over such minor stuff.

If you really want to see him get spun up, just call a revolver a wheel gun! But that quirk and a crusty nature aside John Taffin is a good Christian man.

Whitworth
10-19-2009, 08:22 PM
It would be real fun to get Mike and 44Man together on a range sometime. Decide on the rules of various contests, bring the best you got and have a shootout. Would make for a good story and would definitely be educational for all. A true gentleman's shooting exhibition.

Only if you let me take the winner! :-D

44man
10-19-2009, 08:25 PM

It would be fun but no rules. Pop some home brews, joke and laugh until we don't know where the targets are and enjoy each others company. All of you are invited too. How about a big BBQ?

bravokilo
10-19-2009, 08:35 PM

Mike

Now here all along I thought that was put there for an "elbow rest" when you're shooting offhand! You're chicken scores are gonna drop! :kidding:

I've seen a lot of gun writers get started over the years. Most seem to start out as "just plain folks". After a few years some seem to need to buy larger and larger hat sizes! I think a few of them have reached the point where they need to have them custom made! Fortunely Mike isn't one of them!

Mike, take care of yourself! If you leave too early there are going to be a lot of people here PO'd!

Thanks for all the good reading over the years!

BK

Mike Venturino
10-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Now that shoot would be something! I'd have to decide on whether to use a Sharps, a Winchester, an 03A3 Springfield, a Tommy Gun, or what. That would be a fun decision.

What .44 Man described for a shooting party is about what our BPCR Silhouette matches in Missoula March through September are like. We shoot the match, sit back afterwards and have a sip or two, eat something fresh cooked, and spout BS. Not that I ever indulge in that BS stuff personally........

Its well worth the 200 mile drive each way for many of us every month.

Night all.
Mike

canyon-ghost
10-19-2009, 08:49 PM
I was out shooting rattlesnakes on the range with a .410 TC Contender and shortly thereafter, found an article by Mike about making 45 Colt shotshells. Seems he could load enough shot to blow up potatoes! Interesting stuff, and making blanks? Never crossed my mind til then. I consider myself fortunate to learn from the experienced, I started handloading a little late in life.
That was some great insight coming from the "Shooting Shack"!

bravokilo
10-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Bret... John Taffin has a couple of quirks, as do we all, but he really isn't a bad guy. He was/is a teacher and I was thinking English was his subject, but I am not certain about that. He is a stickler for the use of correct speech and is pretty crusty to boot. He is having a hard time dealing with the changes in everyday speech.

Our culture has pretty well lost it's regard for the proper use of the language in these days of computers, chat boards and text messages. What my teachers called "bad grammer", the English
text books of today call "informal English". Folks of my generation (John Taffin and myself are the same age) had it beaten into our heads at all levels of education that the use of less than perfect English just was not acceptable.

I teach at the University of Texas at Brownsville in the Legal Studies department and 95% of my students could not pass a High School Freshman English exam. I teach Legal Writing and I have to teach my students to use simple one clause sentences, because if they strive for anything else, their writting becomes garbled. In the legal profession, garbled communication can cost somebody a great deal of money. I beat Graff's Rule of Legal Writting No. 1, into their heads... "Nobody will pay you money to write a sentence they have to read more than one time to understand!"

Unlike John Taffin, I am not hung up on old time formal English. I really don't much care if the language has morphed and Taffin is tilting with windmills. I still use bullet, but could care less if others call them boolits. It certainly isn't worth getting cross wise with a fellow shooter over such minor stuff.

If you really want to see him get spun up, just call a revolver a wheel gun! But that quirk and a crusty nature aside John Taffin is a good Christian man.

It's not WHAT he did, it's HOW he chose to do it. I don't care how "crusty" somebody is, it's no excuse for being rude. He could have been polite about it, but HE deliberatly chose NOT to.

BK

cajun shooter
10-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Mike has shown every one on this forum that he is just one of the guys. I've always thought this and that is why I still purchase his books and articles. When I read them it's as if I'm there and he is talking with me. I don't think he has a BS bone in his body and I'm hard to trick after my years on the street as a cop. How many of us know someone who takes time to chat with the everyday guys like us. He even got 44man to extend his hand and it didn't have a gun in it. Ha!! Ha!! Later David

Hardcast416taylor
10-19-2009, 09:29 PM
I think that anybody that takes a trip to Iwo Jima, and wasn`t a marine, has my vote as a good friend. Semper Fi OORAH!!!Robert

Heavy lead
10-19-2009, 09:40 PM

Mike

Congratulations, I believe one of your "newer" photos is in article you talk about in Handloader in which I read last night, I thought I saw a difference. Glad you two buried the hatchet, and look forward to many, many more years with both of you.

Heavy lead
10-19-2009, 09:45 PM
My belly is from home made beer! Please don't tell me to give it up.
My little dog still loves me and is all that counts. She is sleeping under my seat right now. I thank the good Lord every hour for such wonderful animals. Have any of you had a dog that hugs you?
Yes, I hunt and kill deer, etc, but it always saddens me to take a life.
It also saddens me to find you have a problem Mike and will also pray that you will be OK and I want everyone here to join me.
I am not a religious nut and will not go to church but I believe there is a higher power and He does listen.
All I can offer is my best feelings, get well.
No, you fellas here don't really know me, just know I care for all of you.

Got three that all hug me all the time, but one special Llaso Apso that I rescued. Started out on my lap in the F350 on the way home 4 years ago and is still not far from me now ever. I believe he would follow me into the fires of hell if I started off for them.

Wayne Smith
10-19-2009, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Venturino;694884
Along those same lines you might notice that some people use the words when refering to the numbers 0 through nine but then use the numerals from 10 on after that. That is also journalistic style used by all newspapers and also all gun magazines. If people do that they have probably attended some journalism classes.
[/QUOTE]

Mike, I think I may be just a touch older than you. I learned that in High School - Sophmore English Grammer, in fact.

I appreciate your writing ability, I wish I had a modicum of it. Oh well, we all do what we do best, or most easily, I guess. I'm sure you wouldn't want my job!

I'm glad to hear you are loosing weight. Any diabetes in your family? I'm doing a lot of counseling around those issues lately. I had noticed your routundity, will be glad to see some more recent pics. Keep alive, keep writing, please!

Lloyd Smale
10-20-2009, 06:41 AM
Mike ive read you for years. Never had the chance to meet you personaly but know quite a few guys that have. I dont allways agree with what you print but realize that some of it is like you said, printed to bring home a paycheck and theres nothing wrong with that. I can take any gunwritter and find things i dont agree with in the stuff they print. Its no differnt then if you post your opinion here. Some agree and some dont. Its because this isnt a science and theres just to many variables and the results i get may be differnt from yours. Does it make me right and you wrong? Heck no! What i do respect is a man that talks from his personal experience. At least you cast. Most gun writters are given bullets and dont bother of dont have the time to cast anymore. There still fast to give an opinion though but 9 times out of 10 its an opinion they got from a book or from someone else. My best friend is someone you probalbly know. Al Anderson. Hes no doubt shot more casted more and loaded more then about all of the gun writers put together. Ive asked him before why he doesnt write and share his knowlege. His answer. First to write you have to know how to write and second is that if a guy writes and puts a bunch of facts and figures in an article most dont understand them and most would get bored half way through the article. What people have to understand is most gun magazines arent targeted at guys like us that are on the higher end of the shooting a casting knowlege level there targeted at guys that have a couple guns and maybe load a couple hundred rounds a year and need help with the simpler things. There probably still is two or three people in the country that want to know whats best a 270 or a 3006! and if it pays your bills go for it, I would!

Bret4207
10-20-2009, 07:04 AM

Charles, you have more Christian forgiveness in you than I do. This isn't the first time people have taken us to task for something that is absolutely NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS!!! As far as I'm concerned we can call boolits Aardvarks and as long as we know what we mean, to heck with everyone else. People everywhere seem to have adopted the freedom limiting characteristics of the progressives- you can't do this, you can't do that. I'm sick of it. If Taffin can't lighten up a little, if he's old and cranky, if he won't bend and have a sense a humor then it's his loss and I think he's being a moron. We all have our poor characteristics, but when it affects other people then it becomes a problem.

Taffin may be a great guy, I'll never meet him. All I know is what I read and tht's none too impressive.

Doc_Stihl
10-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Coupe - Sedan
Ranch - Cape
Bullet - Boolit

Char-Gar
10-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Bret... I really can't argue with the basic substance of your post. You are correct that we have the choice is how we saything and there are both results and consequences that go along with that.

I have caught the unfair ire of John Taffin on more than once occasion myself, but I have also had some warm exchanges with him as well.

I dunno Bret, I just hate to see one shooter write another off with the dismissive term or moron. Taffin is allot of things both good and maybe not so good. His lack of manners and tolerance with others is a glaring hicky on his personality, but he is far from being a moron. He is sharp as a tack and not a "dullard" in any way shape or form.

I can be as crusty as anybody, but at least I know I am wrong when I do it. I keep thinking.. "How can I expect people to overlook my less attractive aspects and see the good, if I am not willing to do the same for them.

There are indeed some folks that just drive me nuts for one reason or another. I just ignore them and try and keep my mind on better things. I am not always sucessful, but I try.

Anyway Bret... I guess the preacher in me, just keep creeping out. I don't seem to be able to find the off switch. I will keep looking.

Bret4207
10-20-2009, 12:21 PM
My definition of moron may be different than yours, (kinda like bullet/boolit!). To me a moron is anyone who can't see the trees for the forest, is educated beyond his intelligence, has a serve cranial/rectal inversion. So I don't necessarily mean "moron" in the classic sense of a severely mentally handicapped person.

Mike Venturino
10-20-2009, 12:33 PM
Hey guys: Can I politely ask you to take your debate about JT to another thread. This one is meant as my "happy thread" what with me and .44 Man joining hands, etc.

And on that note I'm posting my current favorite photo of me showing some of the pounds I've lost in 2009 and a couple of my current favorite "fun guns."

Thanks
Mike V.

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/MLV1/9-24-09053LargeWebview.jpg

Mike Venturino
10-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Hey it worked! Well, I'm still far from "skinny" but its a definite improvement.

Mike

Whitworth
10-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Lookin' good, Mike! Wow, you have lost a bundle of weight! I wish you continued success. Nice Tommy gun!

44man
10-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Bret... I really can't argue with the basic substance of your post. You are correct that we have the choice is how we saything and there are both results and consequences that go along with that.

I have caught the unfair ire of John Taffin on more than once occasion myself, but I have also had some warm exchanges with him as well.

I dunno Bret, I just hate to see one shooter write another off with the dismissive term or moron. Taffin is allot of things both good and maybe not so good. His lack of manners and tolerance with others is a glaring hicky on his personality, but he is far from being a moron. He is sharp as a tack and not a "dullard" in any way shape or form.

I can be as crusty as anybody, but at least I know I am wrong when I do it. I keep thinking.. "How can I expect people to overlook my less attractive aspects and see the good, if I am not willing to do the same for them.

There are indeed some folks that just drive me nuts for one reason or another. I just ignore them and try and keep my mind on better things. I am not always sucessful, but I try.

Anyway Bret... I guess the preacher in me, just keep creeping out. I don't seem to be able to find the off switch. I will keep looking.
My problem, I can't find the "off switch."
I have not been back to the single action site but understand a LOT has been going on. Kind of scary because I do not want to be the king of the hill, I am just a normal slob, maybe with too big of a mouth sometimes. But I never lie and am comfortable with that. My groups are real and I have friends that also shoot better then I do. My only claim is that I took them away from 7 to 25 yards and taught them what a revolver can do.
Long live the revolver and the BOOLIT!

SharpsShooter
10-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Hey guys: Can I politely ask you to take your debate about JT to another thread. This one is meant as my "happy thread" what with me and .44 Man joining hands, etc.

And on that note I'm posting my current favorite photo of me showing some of the pounds I've lost in 2009 and a couple of my current favorite "fun guns."

Thanks
Mike V.

I spect that your suspenders are a mite relieved Mike:-D I've a good friend that had the stomach reduction surgery and I wish he had the results you have reaped.

Good on ya. Betcha ya feel a lot better too.

SS

Mike Venturino
10-20-2009, 01:09 PM
SharpsShooter: Suspenders? I don't need no stinking suspenders! (I wonder what movie that line was used in only substituting badges for suspenders?)

Anyway, don't need suspenders anymore. Feeling better? I can't describe the difference. And the Tommy gun is a hoot, but heavy!

MLV

HORNET
10-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Mike, you're showing a definite improvement. I've lost an uncle and a friend due to issues caused,in part, by their being significantly overweight. I think that you'll continue to find improvement in the way you feel as accumulated crud clears out of your system. Heck, you might even pick up a few points on your scores. Congratulations and continued good wishes.

Whitworth
10-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Ah, but now you are in better shape and better able to tote that Tommy gun of yours!

Maven
10-20-2009, 01:37 PM
(I wonder what movie that line was used in only substituting badges for suspenders?)

"Treasure of the Sierra Madre" (Humphrey Bogart, et al.) methinks

Orygun
10-20-2009, 01:49 PM
(I wonder what movie that line was used in only substituting badges for suspenders?)

"Treasure of the Sierra Madre" (Humphrey Bogart, et al.) methinks

Uh....Blazing Saddles. :drinks:

alamogunr
10-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Hang in there! Mike. Don't forget to mix in a little physical exercise too. When I retired about 3½ years ago I weighed 230+. Started getting more exercise and eating differently(not necessarily less) and within a year I was down to 200. I feel better and have had to continue the diet(somewhat) and exercise due to diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. I've hit a sticking point, but at 6'2" I don't have far to go anyway.

I hope you and I and a whole lot of others are here for a long time.

John
W.TN

Whitworth
10-20-2009, 01:58 PM

Yes indeed!

Char-Gar
10-20-2009, 02:04 PM
44man... I don't hang out on that board, but did go over there and read the entire thread. I know many of the folks over there. It seems that you first got the predictable John Taffin snarl for the use of the word boolit. You kept picking at it until you got bit. Sorta reminds me of a dog we once had that liked to chase the garbage truck. One day he caught it! Taffin did rattle before he struck.

Anyway... You, me, JT and everybody else, are who we are. My old maid Aunt Lou Featherston, whom I loved dearly always said..."It takes all kinds to make a world.".

Now where again is that blasted off switch! :-)

Char-Gar
10-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Mike... You look great! What has that weight loss done for you bad knees? I think you are going to be my new roll model.

Mike Venturino
10-20-2009, 02:27 PM
chargar: Bad knee - singular. The left one is still good. The right one I busted in 1976 playing softball of all things. The weight loss hasn't done much for it.

Mike Venturino
10-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Everyone please take note.......... In that photo my finger is not on the trigger of that Thompson as one fellow sent a PM about. It is actually under the trigger guard. I've attended too many classes at Thunder Ranch to get caught with my finger on the trigger when not shooting.

odis
10-20-2009, 02:38 PM
I bet you can start using ankle holsters now.

44man
10-20-2009, 02:48 PM

Thanks
Mike V.

Darn, looking good. You are close to my deer rasslin weight.

AZ-Stew
10-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Man, this stuff went viral over the last couple of days. I didn't see it Sunday, and by Monday I was 12+ pages behind, considering both boards. I suppose it's just as well. I didn't have much to add, except that I'm occasionally irritated by some of the spelling here. As I said in another thread, we have a spell checker, so there's little excuse for some of it. Misused words, on the other hand (there, their, they're) won't be caught. Sorry, I had it pounded into me when I was young, as well. I try to stifle myself, but sometimes it just seems right to comment, such as the "sprue" plate post last Feb. Sorry if I've irritated anyone.

I used to avoid "boolit", as well, but I've warmed to it and now find it a useful way to distinguish between various projectiles without excessive typing.

I will make one comment on all the (you'll love this one) "stuffed-shirtedness" that's been expressed in the previous threads, and that is that you might want to be careful on the other forum calling it a "Tommy Gun". They may prefer the more refined "Thomas Gun".

Mike,

I had hoped to meet you at the NRA convention, but you didn't come to it. I talked to Dave Scovill for a while, though. Good man. I think you and I have quite a bit in common. I've been reading your articles for years. I have little disagreement with them and usually learn something. Maybe we'll meet one day. I tried to send you info on a Nambu pistol last winter after one of our gun shows, but I sent it to the e-mail address that's attached to your name, rather than sending a PM. Maybe you didn't see it. The pistol wasn't mine, I just saw it on a table and it looked decent, so I thought I'd give you a heads up on it. If I see another one, I'll let you know.

Regards,

Stew

bruce drake
10-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Mike, you are definitely looking better than days previously....Hopefully, that means we won't be seeing that aloha shirt anytime soon :kidding::groner:

Bruce

StarMetal
10-20-2009, 04:42 PM
That's dang good shooting on that steel silhouette! My one best friend had that same operation. I forget his weight but I think his pants size was like in the 60's. I'll have to say well over 350 pounds. He dropped to size 38 pants.

Do you shoot cast out of your full autos? I have the Thompson in the semi auto version with the 16 inch barrel and it sure shoots very accurate. Of course it fires from a closed bolt and that makes a difference.

Joe

Mike Venturino
10-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Bruce: No more Hawaiian shirts. In fact I wear pull overs mostly now because I get colder than I used to.

Joe: That steel target doesn't show all the bullets that whizzed by it, but yeah, after a bit of a learning curve I'm getting so I can hit it better. Mostly I do shoot cast in both the Thompson and the 1911. Oregon Trails 230 RN at times and my own from Lyman 452374 at other times. Jacketed once in a while.

MLV

rugerman1
10-20-2009, 06:14 PM
I'd sure like to mine that hillside fer lead! :mrgreen:

Dale53
10-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Mike;
I have followed your career from your first day. You just happened to write for magazines that I preferred. One thing I have ALWAYS appreciated about your work, is your innate HONESTY! That has come to be a rare thing and I have always appreciated that. I have met your old pard, Steve Garbe, several times once in Cody at the Ballard works, and a couple of times at Friendship, IN. He sure spoke highly of you.

Many years ago, I got a desire for a BPCR. I bought a C. Sharps and your and Steve's book, the BPCR Primer. I read it thoroughly, followed your recipe, and from day one had excellent results from that rifle. You fellows sure saved me a lot of time and effort with that one.

I shot BPCR Silhouette for about 15 years (until my vision went south) and after a few years they started offering "Side Matches" with Black Powder revolvers (fixed sights, center fire, and black powder). Again, I bought your book on shooting the Colts, followed the black powder recipe and was immediately competitive.

So, I know at least ONE feller (me) who has been helped seriously by your information.

I started casting for pistol and revolver sixty years ago and shot muzzle loading rifles with the best of them. However, I had not done any BPC work and needed a bit of help. You provided that.

I am glad to hear that your weight losing efforts are paying off - that is one hard nut to crack.

Here's to good health to us all!:drinks:

I applaud your efforts along with 44Man to extend your hands. That speaks well for you both!

Dale53

Bret4207
10-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Good for you Mike! I took off 65 lbs a few years back before I retired. Put some back on now, but I know Atkins will work for me when I get sick of it. Your body will thank you- no more acid reflux, the back and knees feel better, easier to get clothes. The bad part is the skin won't snap back like it did in your 20's. But, better wrinkled than dead.

MT Gianni
10-20-2009, 07:08 PM

Blazing Saddles ripped it from Treasure of the Sierra madre.

HORNET
10-20-2009, 07:20 PM
I thought it was "badgers"..Oh, wait. that was a different movie....

leadman
10-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Mike, you are looking good and express that with that great big smile.

Can definitely see your finger is not on the trigger.

Your article are the ones I seek out to read first as they are always interesting, even if not specifically about a firearm. Your trip to Iwo comes to mind. My friends dad was wounded there and as far as I know never spoke much of it.

Maybe you could do an article on a "Boolit"! LOL!

I have a motorhome we could load up here in Phoenix for the shoot. assume it would be in Montana?

Bret4207
10-21-2009, 07:01 AM
Blazing Saddles ripped it from Treasure of the Sierra madre.

Good flick.

quasi
10-21-2009, 06:43 PM
you look like a different person, well done.

Alchemist
10-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Mike,

I've been reading your work since I was a fellow Montanan stationed at Malmstrom AFB in 1982. Learned a lot from you over the years, especially concerning casting. Thanks for the great reading.

Congrats on the success you're having with the weight loss. I wish you the best of luck!

Gotta ask, where did you get that M3 leather for the 1911? I need one of those rigs!

Mike Venturino
10-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Alchmest: Go onto gunbroker.com and do a search for 1911 holsters. That's how I found it. Strangely enough it came from a small town about 20 miles from where I grew up back in WV.

I hope this helps. By the way I also got a replica M7 holster in yesterday but haven't even looked at it yet. It also came from gunbroker but a different seller.

Mike

bruce drake
10-21-2009, 09:58 PM
I'd sure like to mine that hillside fer lead! :mrgreen:

Hey! That's Mike's personal lead mine!

Silkweight shirts are awesome for heat retention. lighter than cotton and warmer than a lot of thicker shirts.

Bruce

MtGun44
10-22-2009, 12:40 AM
Mike,

I've enjoyed your writing for decades. Used to live in Charleston, so can relate to the
WVA parts of some stories. Also, we have traveled thru parts of Montana over the years
and it is a very nice state (I'm thinking Jan and Feb are bit suboptimal . . . .). I can
really relate to some of your health issues, too. Kinda sucks to have to worry about this
stuff, but there it is. Glad to see the picture. You look great!

A friend was dying from the side effects of obesity, he had the stomach reduction and bypass
surgery. He was struggling on heavy insulin, and within 14 days was insulin free. It was
totally miraculous. His health was very bad, and now he has lost a huge amount of weight,
enough that he had a surgery to remove excess skin, too. He is doing really well and is
now able to do things that were impossible a few years ago. It is heartening to see someone
gain back some improved health and ability to do things that they like. Congratulations
on your weight loss. I had a MI a few years back, but was lucky that I have zero damage
and no physical restrictions now other than some diet and drugs to dramatically improve my lipid profile.
I thought I was OK because my cholesterol had been 155 or so for decades. So - I understand
the heart thing, too, but am extremely lucky to have avoided any long term effects myself.
For me fish oil has had an extremely beneficial effect on my lipids, it is worth a try if you have
HDL/LDL issues like I did.

As to the knee, I broke my left femur just above the knee 39 yrs ago in a motorcycle accident.
After 90 days traction and another 90 in a cast it was pretty much OK until last year. The knee
had some alignment issues, so has not worn evenly over the years, now not so good. Doc
says I will get an artificial knee joint at some future time. Glucosamine/condroitin is helping
mine and I can still mostly do what I want, altho it is nearly bone to bone on one side. The
good news is that the other knee is just fine.

Getting old sucks (58), but does beat the heck out of the alternative. A woman at work
recently got her second replacement knee and is extremely pleased at the lack of pain
and no-problem functionality of the man-made joint. She recommends it highly. Unfortunately, the
future of these replacements seems in doubt with the pending health care "reforms".

Keep up the good work. Your enthusiasm and good writing style are enjoyable to read.

Bill

TCFAN
10-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Mike,

Looking good on the weight loss.Been there and done that.

Been reading your articles for years. Some of the old ones you I noticed you used the name Brandon Wolf. Enjoyed them all....................Terry